THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

22 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I like Slash’s first Monsters solo. The outro is more impressive,  but there is some cool multi tracked leads in the first one

His first solo is my favorite of all the solos he has done on the reworked CD stuff, it is simple and bluesy and has some repeated licks that make it seem just as much a secondary hook as it is a solo

• Like 1

Just now, Arnuld said:

Bach could have easily confused the tracks. I agree the General is not exactly like Bachs description. And I cannot even begin to imagine how it relates to estranged in Axl’s mind. 

Yeah that’s probably what happened. Hilarious

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I am fairly certain, at this point in time especially after listening to it om good headphones most of these 2 days that it is Slash on all lead parts save for the second half of the outro solo which is Fortus

TG has Slash's signature wah sound and listening closely the runs are very Slash-esque especially when comparing to the Slash-isms I heard live a few weeks ago

they've done this sort of crash edting before so it wouldnt surprse me but 4:06 to 4:09 of The General sounds like Buckethead, the finish to the solo too before it goes into Monster, but then the rest could be anything, fully ready to be wrong though

• Like 1

I'm on vacation in Vietnam right now. Listening to Monsters and seeing all those communist uniforms/symbols really gives me CD vibes. i'll always connect that trip to these two song. (yeah, I know Vietnam != China 😂

20231029-111101.jpg

Edited by davisp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

I think what this “new” music demonstrates is how much Slash and Duff have bent over and spread their cheeks for the almighty dollar. This really is not their kind of music and after all these years Axl still is the Master of puppets. 

I dunno, replace the electronic drums on Monsters with Matt Sorum and that could easily be a VR track with Scott singing the lower parts.  I don't think it is hard to imagine the concept that Slash has matured since he left GNR in '96 and is open to stuff.  Its still heavy drop D rock music - it isn't like this is genre hopping that much, you know?

Even The General, it has more electronic drums than something Slash would do solo but the song itself is still basically just a rock song with lots of distorted vocal effects and sitar samples

Edited by WhazUp

The verses of Monsters seems to be more about a jilted lover to me, and not child abuse like The General. 

My interpretation is Axl acknowledging that he unwillingly brought his “Monsters” into the ill-fated Stephanie relationship. 

[Verse 1]

A tour-de-force of an evil old passion
A broken heart that was out of fashion
Dynamic duo, in your big attraction
My early warning was your satan laughing

[Chorus]
I was there for you
It's all I could do
Oh but it's over now
Oh but it's over now

[Verse 2]
You stole my soul with the devil's romancing
All alone in your bedroom, dancing
Thought I could feel somebody worth having
But in the end I guess you're good for the damning

• Like 2

20 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I don't understand why everyone hates HS here. Sounds like classic GN'R song . Appetite kind of with 2021 modern sound production. Great riff killer vocals. 

Just a lot of negative people here in general.  HS sounds like it came off of the the illusions, and if it did everyone would probably love it.   People have issue with the bell at the beginning I guess.

While far from my favorite GNR track I enjoy it.   It's a fun rocker.

• Like 4

Fortus for sure on the outro solo's

The bass line is 100% Stinson wrote but played by Duff.

Slash has added riff's. 

I am not keen on this tbh. I preferred the orchestral version they used as a concert intro. Hopefully in december we hear a better version. This was leaked by the studio in europe to try and kill interest after GnR said the mix was crap.

• PERHAPS 1

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

This surreal feeling of finally hearing the cell phone leak is on the feeling I felt when HS leaked and we finally heard the rest of that mythical Checkmate clip

And having Slash on it is the cherry on top

For real. I could have never imagined when we first heard the cell phone clip years back that we’d someday finally hear the full song, but with Slash.
Hearing “Checkmate” was bananas. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mr-fukaji said:

I can't stand the newer intro to Hard Skool, it doesn't do the riff any favours when it kicks in. The stupid bell too! ahhh!!! otherwise it's a fine rocker, kind of prefer the Rough Mix version though

The intro on the original leak was actually the best part of the song imo.

14 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Fortus for sure on the outro solo's

The bass line is 100% Stinson wrote but played by Duff.

Slash has added riff's. 

I am not keen on this tbh. I preferred the orchestral version they used as a concert intro. Hopefully in december we hear a better version. This was leaked by the studio in europe to try and kill interest after GnR said the mix was crap.

Any sources for this info or just speculation?