THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

11 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then why is Axl's bridge from Monsters in Evaders remix of the General?

Please please mods....no offence to this person and don't mean to pick but as a general point....can we please pin a FYI thread on all the answers to points/misdirection like.these....GNR merry-go-round is a crazy one and particularly in the last few weeks, it's been ad nauseam, some of the confusion on many things such as this....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Shackler existed in the locker leaks as a raw instrumental (titled "Shancler's Revenge"). It was developed at some point later and combined with another Buckethead tune (don't remember which one). Definitely that was long before Ashba was in the band. Ashba joined after CD was released.

it sounds like a combo of the original Shankler's demo and parts of Dub Suplex

• PERHAPS 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't know either. Shackler's chorus is some very basic (and super overused in pop music nowadays) chord progression, tho. Doesn't sound much like a Bucket thing to me, but IDK. 

I remember Axl Saying that the band thought the album needed a fast song. But i cant tell you when but for sure not 99 or 00... would be more 2005 or 2006. Was added to the album at the end

• Like 1

Anyone else think the Marco score is much more pronounced at points here than the leak? Hopefully that's boasted in final mix...Axl obviously cared about giving this song a good live debut with all he's got! Bring on Monsters....and more new music! We're more than ready...

Maybe remember remember the 5th November release? 

Best SQ mix from live debut IMO. Man of course it's the tingles of actually hearing this and THAT they did it...snap poll on Nov 1st of a General live debut wouldn't of come out very high in favour....so this tour has been full of little nuggets and surprises....I know that's small fry compared to other acts, but we can only judge against our own bands history...

BTW comment of the day on a YT video...The song is actually about how difficult Crocodile child birth is and how the Daddy rapped the MAMA crock and "I'm awfully sorry".....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

The vocal effects are the whole concept behind the song.

The  vocal are supposed to be murky because it represents a child calling out for help but nobody can hear him/her or make out what they are saying.

Those effects were deliberate 

Then why does he do the exact same thing on Prostitute and This I love and Madagascar? It's a small miracle he left well alone on Twat. 

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

Call my attention i can't see it in anywhere site about The General is about abuse child.

I don't think any article said The General was about child abuse prior leaks. However, I'm 100% there was an article that said there was a Chinese Democracy song about child abuse and some people assumed it was The General.

Then, there was the "there's a child chained to the bed" line in the Evader mix and many more people (including me) jumped on that theory, which is kinda hilarious in retrospect, given the lyrics were completely wrong and that song wasn't even The General. lol

Still, against all odds, we ended up being right and The General really was the song about child abuse. That's wild.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaioAKR said:

I don't think any article said The General was about child abuse prior leaks. However, I'm 100% there was an article that said there was a Chinese Democracy song about child abuse and some people assumed it was The General.

Then, there was the "there's a child chained to the bed" line in the Evader mix and many more people (including me) jumped on that theory, which is kinda hilarious in retrospect, given the lyrics were completely wrong and that song wasn't even The General. lol

Still, against all odds, we ended up being right and The General really was the song about child abuse. That's wild.

Yes, it was in two different articles that reported about Axl's conversation with fans at pool side in Rio 2001:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1683-2001-01-16-o-globo-axl-talks-at-pool-side

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7429-2001-mm-dd-rolling-stone-argentina-axl-rose-fifteen-days-in-the-life

I'm really wondering how fans made the connection between that mention of a song about child abuse and The General, considering that Bach's comment about it being the sequel to Estranged didn't hint to this subject matter. Was it just due to Evader's interpretation or was there a rumour before that?

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Who else thinks Slash would of been pretty stoked when he got in amongst stuff like The General and saw that it had a Marco Belltrami score in it....a master of horror scoring, I think he'd think that's pretty awesome! Good to hear the score louder in the live mix....hopefully transfers to the final mix....

Anyone else see the rumours about folk thinking Axl was referring to recording General final vocal this year and that's why the vocal is closer to now and buried in distortion.....

Yeah some believe the Chorus is but i just think it's a choice is all

1 hour ago, CaioAKR said:

I refer about the last articles about  of the song, like Ultimate Classic Rock, Spin,Loudwire, Rolling Stone. Is weird.

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Monsters seem to be the same song as Soul Monster (also called Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul and Leave Me Alone). It seems to have nothing in common with My and My Elvis (except for sharing the Elvis name in an early version).

For all we know Me & My Elvis could be Cuban Sky's or anything. But it seems way to fleshed out to have been dropped 

Over under on how many more Slash / Duff leftovers we haven't heard yet....Imma be optimistic and say 3 more...don't quote me back the Trunk shit...it was vague at best...perhaps he could of put finishing touches to a couple more since then anyways, we've seen studio time since so...

So

Absurd

Hard Skool

---------------

Perhaps

The General

---------------

Monsters 

Atlas

---------------

State Of Grace 

Berlin 

Edited by colonizedmind

34 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Over under on how many more Slash / Duff leftovers we haven't heard yet....Imma be optimistic and say 3 more...don't quote me back the Trunk shit...it was vague at best...perhaps he could of put finishing touches to a couple more since then anyways, we've seen studio time since so...

So

Absurd

Hard Skool

---------------

Perhaps

The General

---------------

Monsters 

Atlas

---------------

State Of Grace 

Berlin 

Atlas and Monsters i would say is likely, SOG & Berlin may be a pipe dream though

The sitar sounds a lot better in the live performance than the synth used in the leak. 
The bass and the orchestral arrangements are also under mixed on the studio version. 
I really hope we got an unfinished effort and that the final cut on the vinyl will address those issues. 

I think it's safe to say that Monsters and Atlas are guaranteed to be released at one point or another (not necessarily together - I still think that The General and Monsters are tied together (not as "one song", of course) or at least were going to be released together, but the plan changed probably due to the poor quality of the vinyl pressing.

Beyond that, State of Grace is a strong contender (the fact that we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it has been abandoned). And then, if that thing they were playing at soundcheck last year was a song, it's probably another song we haven't heard before.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

I was listening to The General on the bus ride home from work and I got to thinking... I don't think this is truly the sequel to Estranged like Baz had suggested but I think he was on the money with what he originally said, that The General completes a new trilogy. 

I think Shackler's Revenge, The General, and Monsters is a trilogy of music. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1