THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I imagine that is very likely. Short of leaving off Monsters though there isn't much they can do, and I'm astonished if they sent all this to the printers with no-one pointing it out to them! 

But then, this is GNR, so.....

Or we're gonna open our 7" and realise it Pokémon morphed into a 10 or 12" instead....

Merry Xmas from Uncle Axl

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Twinaleblood said:

I have just received (today, November 8) an email from GNR's uk store announcing that the release date for the Perhaps 7" I ordered has been delayed and it's now scheduled for December 8. They could have waited a little more before sending the email. 😂

I just got the same mail too. I also laughed about the fact that they informed about the delay over a week after the initial release date. :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I have just received (today, November 8) an email from GNR's uk store announcing that the release date for the Perhaps 7" I ordered has been delayed and it's now scheduled for December 8. They could have waited a little more before sending the email. 😂

HEY HEY! At least YOU got an email and they realised you exist 🎃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miden34 said:

Bro this is just.... dude they are different songs. its time to accept that. even IF monster was on the vinyl with general(which we already proved impossible cause they cant put both general and monsters on the same side of a 7 inch vinyl.) it would be part of the general. it would be a "secret" song. they are two different songs the general isnt some epic long song and plus, they have musical similarities but they dont even sound like they were written to be one song. 

they cant fit the musc music on one side of a 7 inch vinyl

....again... they CAN NOT fit over 9 min worth of music on the 7 inch vinyl. 

I agree they are different songs. I was saying/asking if anyone thought there could be more to the general than what we’ve heard. I mean it was locked down for 15 years and nobody outside of a few of Axl’s friends ever heard it. I guess I’m alone in this, but I wouldn’t be surprised that when it’s officially released that there is more to it. People are saying how they played it live, sure they did, but they also played silkworm’s live and the official release of silkworms became absurd and was different. Axl seems to like to be in control of when we hear his art, so I wouldn’t put it past him to troll us. That’s all I’m saying. 

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

GNR Fans: "They can't release 9 min of music on one side of a 7" vinyl"

GNR: Hold my beer...

image.png.cffd360c70c0ecea3fb66c475ff32dcf.png

It was possible in 1992. Why it's not possible today? Why are you guys ignoring facts. 

Yeah... it should be clear they're two songs. But it should also be clear they'd fit on one side in good quality.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+time+can+fit+on+a+b-side+of+a+7-inch+vinyl&oq=how+much+time+can+fit+on+a+b-side+of+a+7-inch+vinyl&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigAdIBCTEzNzkxajFqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

No one is saying it isn't possible.....just that it will sound like shit, the more music you put on over 6 minutes. 

More info here. 

https://peakvinyl.com/record-playtimes/

Well, I really have no idea and I don't give a fuck what somebody writes on the internet as long as I have an LP that proves otherwise. 

One ist theory, the other is practice.

Again, why ignoring November Rain?

Edited by Free Bird

35 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

I just  got an email saying my perhaps order was delayed… considering it was supposed to ship a month ago they gave me a fair notice

Me too, Universal UK are not really on top of things it seems. Not only is the single delayed, the notice to tell me the single was delayed was also delayed.

• Like 4

also just because monsters leaked, people think its gonna be on the vinyl. there is no way, because of limitied space on the 7 inch vinyl, that both monsters and the general are on the B-side. it LITERALLY cant happen. 

you can only fit 4-6 min on one side. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+time+can+fit+on+a+b-side+of+a+7-inch+vinyl&oq=how+much+time+can+fit+on+a+b-side+of+a+7-inch+vinyl&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigAdIBCTEzNzkxajFqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

people need to come to grips with the fact ONLY the general is on the b-side. its IMPOSSIBLE to have both on one side.

You are objectively incorrect. My 7" of November Rain over on my record shelf is right there.

Edited by Hirtlocker423
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Well, I really have no idea and I don't give a fuck what somebody writes on the internet as long as I have an LP that proves otherwise. 

One ist theory, the other is practice.

Again, why ignoring November Rain?

But this isn't an LP - it's a 7".  That's the point. An LP it wouldn't have a problem handling two tracks on one side. 

This really isn't theory, as the many articles about it state. This is factual stuff- if you put too much music on a 7" it impacts on the sound. It's not even a debate - it's just the way it is. It's a result of technical limitations, as any of the many articles about it detail. 

No-one is ignoring November Rain. You CAN put this stuff on there. It just makes the sound shit. 

I have that November Rain 7" I have and it doesn't sound very good. And it's 9 minutes. This would be even longer. 

If people don't want to read the facts and figures about 7" vinyl records and what you can put on them that's fine, but you can't simply dismiss them as untrue. 

also just because monsters leaked, people think its gonna be on the vinyl. there is no way, because of limitied space on the 7 inch vinyl, that both monsters and the general are on the B-side. it LITERALLY cant happen. 

you can only fit 4-6 min on one side. 

people need to come to grips with the fact ONLY the general is on the b-side. its IMPOSSIBLE to have both on one side.

No, they COULD put it on there.....but it would sound like shit. That's the point people are struggling with. 

It's entirely possible, as long as you're happy with it sounding bad. 

I have no idea why they'd want to squeeze it on though and have it sound shit when other formats are available. 

I'd be willing to bet they found out how bad it sounds which is why it got cancelled and when it arrives it might just contain The General, as advertised. 

Edited by allwaystired

1 hour ago, kingcanyon said:

Don't know if this has been posted yet but Robin Finck says that it's someone called Keith Scott on the demo for the General and  he had no input on it and he also wasn't on anything on the Locker leaks as Axl would mostly use session Guitarists for the songs

Edit: Looks like this is Fake (AI module)

I'm pretty sure the Youtube channel that posted this also made the Atlas art work that was on 4chan. There "info" seems very sketchy in General. I think they make crap up to drive traffic to there channel. 

To put the 'vinyl length' debate to bed, here's the official site for United Record Pressing- the biggest record pressing plant in America.

https://www.urpressing.com/7-inch/

"7" Records (often referred to as 45's) can be cut at 45 RPM or 33 1/3 RPM. When cut at 33 1/3 you can hold approximately 6:00 minutes per side. When cut at 45 you can hold approximately 4:30 minutes per side. These numbers are not set in stone, just a suggested maximum. Going over these suggestions can result in a loss of sound quality." 

If people don't trust experts, hopefully they'll trust the actual manufacturer! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

The only mystery is in your imagination.

The song finally came out. Enjoy it or don't. If you have to enter fantasy land, at least move on to an unreleased song.

There's no point in posting this anymore. I did it a couple times.  It doesn't change anything. This is on a loop and has been since the announcement.

Someone says it's "literally impossible" for the songs to fit

Someone posts an example proving this wrong

Someone then weighs in saying no one said it was impossible even though there's plenty of examples where people are saying it's impossible. Then a link gets posted about how the sound quality won't be perfect, which we already knew.

Repeat forever.

The final word is surely "Yes it's possible, but will sound like shit" then. 

Anything else is simply wrong. 

The funniest point of it all though is it sounds very like GNR tried to do it anyway and then were surprised it was shit. Which is a classic GNR moment really, given they probably had it pressed somewhere that had that information written on their website! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

But this isn't an LP - it's a 7".  That's the point. An LP it wouldn't have a problem handling two tracks on one side. 

This really isn't theory, as the many articles about it state. This is factual stuff- if you put too much music on a 7" it impacts on the sound. It's not even a debate - it's just the way it is. It's a result of technical limitations, as any of the many articles about it detail. 

No-one is ignoring November Rain. You CAN put this stuff on there. It just makes the sound shit. 

I have that November Rain 7" I have and it doesn't sound very good. And it's 9 minutes. This would be even longer. 

If people don't want to read the facts and figures about 7" vinyl records and what you can put on them that's fine, but you can't simply dismiss them as untrue. 

In 30 years I have never heard anyone complaining about the 7" NR. The sound is totally fine and there's no reason why 5 seconds more should make it sound significant worse.

When I post the 7 inch and say LP then I think it should be clear that I mean the 7 inch, which is still a LP in small...

Edited by Free Bird

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

In 30 years I have never heard anyone complaining about the 7" NR. The sound is totally fine and there's no reason why 5 seconds more should make it sound significant worse.

When I post the 7 inch and say LP then I think it's that I mean the 7 inch, which is still a LP in small...

The manufacturers and experts clearly have it wrong then. Good to know.