THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 hours ago, bangit said:

Has anyone found an entry for The General yet on the writing credits/royalties websites? Previously it was registered as General and Monsters. Wondering if anything has changed on that front given we are a couple of weeks away from a release of what we expect will likely just be The General?

It hasn't changed.

19 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Gotta say, of the two songs, the dang “General” has been stuck in my head the whole past week. And I haven’t evens listened to either song lately.  Trying to hold out for studio releases and not burn out on ‘em.

”My only regret is that I NEVER took the time to forget.”

Ya it's a great line as it means, he simmer on stuff and didn't get help for it, the simmering in his mind affected him, his outlook, how he perceives and acted with people, everything...

He did eventually get theropy, so....

It a line that says a lot which may just be the best line of all the singles....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, General2112 said:

Option 1. Monsters is a hidden track. 

Option 2. Monster has been blended into TG as one track.

Option 3: Monsters isn't on there at all. 

I'd consider the last option the most likely. And the most interesting. It would raise some great questions such as how the leaker got it and whether it's intended for another yet to announce single. 

Let's wait for someone to listen to this thing and CONFIRM whether it's there or not. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

I still don't understand this theory and how some people can still think that it's just one song since it was played live

“The General and Monsters” listed together. And the leak of what we assumed was the delayed vinyl. It’s just theorizing. Not much to understand. We’ll probably never know. If the vinyl arrives with just “The General,” that still doesn’t mean the original pressings didn’t have both songs. As always in GNR-land, plans changed. 

• Like 1

Perhaps with The General will be twice as boring as the last EP from a length standpoint. I guess most don't actually play CDs though, it's just for the collection. I'm from a time where we still put them in the car or CD player or computer and listen to them. 2 tracks on a CD is not desirable. 4 tracks was boring enough. They could have at least included a few live songs on there. 

23 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

It would be wild if the 7" only has the 2 songs and the Japanese cd single ends up being the only place to officially get Monsters.

That would be an incredibly insane decision that would make no sense at all commercially, creatively or in any other imaginable way. 

So for GnR it's the most likely option so far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, GNR France already confirmed it:

Well, that settles that. Now I wonder even more how the leaker got it and what the intention with it is. 

It also makes me wonder whether the person who leaked it might have more. 

The registration as The General And Monsters seems more and more like total incompetence. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, username said:

Well, that settles that. Now I wonder even more how the leaker got it and what the intention with it is. 

It also makes me wonder whether the person who leaked it might have more. 

The registration as The General And Monsters seems more and more like total incompetence. 

We'll have to wait to see if what leaked was the final mix.

If it was the final mix, the leak could have been from someone who had access to either the original vinyl pressing (which would mean that the original pressing had both songs) or to another source (e.g. recorded it from a studio soundboard, which would mean that the two songs were at least mixed at the same time).

If it wasn't the final mix, it could have been from someone who had access to the songs at an earlier stage (like a former co-worker?). In this case, the question will be why the person chose to leak both songs together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

“The General and Monsters” listed together. And the leak of what we assumed was the delayed vinyl. It’s just theorizing. Not much to understand. We’ll probably never know. If the vinyl arrives with just “The General,” that still doesn’t mean the original pressings didn’t have both songs. As always in GNR-land, plans changed. 

I think the low quality of the original pressings might have been due to them trying to fit Monsters in there. They probably had to get rid of it to make it better. 

3 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

A likely scenario is that Monsters and The General leaked from a trade got wrong. I doubt they originated from a vinyl pressing.

If that were the case, I'd assume the final product to be a different mix. It's unlikely imo that there's reunion-era material circulating among traders. Let alone final mixes of it. So the only likely sources, to me, seem either people within GnR's operation or people within companies they work with such as the people who press the vinyls. But even for them it'd be a serious risk to their job. 

I'm waiting for people to confirm that the leaked The General is also the final version on the vinyl. 

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

2 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

I don’t know how anyone can listen to the leaked General and think it came from a rip of the vinyl pressing. You’d hear some surface noise, the dynamics would be different.  

It doesn't have to be a rip from vinyl. But rather something that wassent out to press on vinyl. 

• Like 1