THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

18 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Fuck it! We're bored....there's been some corkers over the years. I see your I.M and I raise you....

134579-gadgets-feature-53-of-the-worst-album-covers-of-all-time-image18-gs8jhoazrv.jpg

Worst-album-cover-Come-Home-Baby.jpg

Isn't the first one just a hoax? It would at least be funny, if it was real.

The back cover of the second one is even worse:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12744199-Alan-Franklin-Come-Home-Baby

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

It's the money on the tray that gets me every time 😭

I just came across this. Probably the only one that competes with the Maiden one: :lol:

0_spode3.jpg

But the Maiden one must definitely be the worst I've seen from a widely known artist.

(Sorry for the O/T everyone - that's the last one from me)

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Isn't the first one just a hoax? It would at least be funny, if it was real.

The back cover of the second one is even worse:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12744199-Alan-Franklin-Come-Home-Baby

Let's just say he has a thing for the wilderness and leave it at that....your latest Is more nether regions than countryside 😸

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I just came across this. Probably the only one that competes with the Maiden one: :lol:

0_spode3.jpg

But the Maiden one must definitely be the worst I've seen from a widely known artist.

I've never heard the solo works of Ron Burgundy! Thanks for the heads up! 👍

Edited by colonizedmind

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I find UYI pretty iconic. Personal view of course.

I love the UYI covers. So cool. Fit the album title so well. Use your Illusion is such a great album title. The Alt CD covers were pretty cool as well. Especially the grenade cover. The Best Buy CD cover looks like it’s printed off an early 2000s inkjet. 

The single covers are extremely mediocre. The Perhaps 8 ball is by far the best. The Hard Skool cover is so cheesy. Just like that dumb school bell. I don’t know how they managed to make a pretty cool rocker into queso city. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

0_spode3.jpg

For me this is more interesting than the thread itself. :lol:

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

fan since 1989 here, and I think it's one of their best. 
I'm incredibly proud of these last singles, + Monsters. 
proud to be a real GNR fan. 

I think what most old school fans struggle with is separating the early work from Axl’s modern work. It’s two completely different entities. While the CD work has elements of the previous work it’s not the same thing. Not the same band, not the same style. If CD was a brand new album by a brand new artist it would be considered one of the most ambitious and best debut albums of all time. Same with the follow up singles that comprise CD2. It’s the connection to the previous history that makes the mind think this music is bad when in reality most of it is quite good. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I think what most old school fans struggle with is separating the early work from Axl’s modern work. It’s two completely different entities. While the CD work has elements of the previous work it’s not the same thing. Not the same band, not the same style. If CD was a brand new album by a brand new artist it would be considered one of the most ambitious and best debut albums of all time. Same with the follow up singles that comprise CD2. It’s the connection to the previous history that makes the mind think this music is bad when in reality most of it is quite good. 

Very well put. Chinese Democracy is criminally underrated almost entirely because people see it as "GNR without Slash". If it was its own standalone album, even just Axl Rose, I think it would be considered a modern classic. Maybe I'm bias, I dunno, but I listen to way more CD/CDII material now than the OG era. 

Edited by invisible_rose
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, invisible_rose said:

Very well put. Chinese Democracy is criminally underrated almost entirely because people see it as "GNR without Slash". If it was its own standalone album, even just Axl Rose, I think it would be considered a modern classic. Maybe I'm bias, I dunno, but I listen to way more CD/CDII material now than the OG era. 

I listen to the modern era more as well. I just enjoy the more modern flourishes. I like the hip hop elements, drum loops, synths ect…I understand that many people hate this and consider it trend chasing and not very “GNR” but I like the complexity 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Agree. The CD cover is flat out ugly

It is. At the time I remember being like, wtf this is the most anticipated rock album in years and that is the fucking cover 🤣 convinced it was a joke. Anyway, fortunately the music is great. Mostly. 🤣

• Sad 1