THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Not to sound too delusional, but could “Monsters” show up as a hidden track to “reward” the people who bought the vinyl? 

I mean, just because TG single was released today, does it mean the “Perhaps” vinyl can’t contain something more?

Edited by alfa75
  • Haha 1

Never thought I'd say this but The General sounds like crap! I like the live version but this recording is just filled with layers of shit that go beyond "industrial" and just make it this noise that could be used for torture. I got no enjoyment out of it. I also think the vocals are new since he doesn't go all out banshee out hell with the wails. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

It's not a bad song, but I just don't like the ending. I would have liked it much more if the ending was guitars only. Axl's high pitched wailing is just too much.

Someone here likened Axl's vocals in the ending to Herbert the Pervert from Family Guy. I wish I hadn't read that comment because that's all I think about when I hear it now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris 55 said:

I see other bands with new songs with higher hz. Metallica for example. Weird. Oh well. 

No point in recording higher than 48khz, higher is usually used for raw stems because you have more to work with when editing (stretching and warping works better when you have more information, but you ultimately master the track to 48khz, as you cannot hear any difference. Really, it's impossible to hear the difference..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

You do not need more that 48khz for your final output, but it's useful when editing to have more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UncleJosh said:

Personally I think The General is better than You Ain't The First, Bad Apples, Garden of Eden, My World, So Fine, New Rose, Attitude, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory, and almost all of Chinese Democracy except the title track and Madagascar which are the only 2 songs I like on that album.

Bad apple is amazing, why don’t you like it? 

• Like 4

I for one think this sounds better than the leak. You can clearly hear a lot more going on, especially during the verses.

The only thing that bothers me is how the drums sound, especially the calmer ones, that sound really digital and programmed. I’m not even sure they’re not.

I like the vocal effects. I’m not a a big fan of clean vocals, I tend to prefer it when they receive the same treatment as the instruments, and become part of the overall sound of the song and its "aesthetic".

The song itself isn’t bad, but its also nothing to write home about either. My second favourite of the released singles so far, behind Perhaps.

Didn’t like the single’s cover. It looks like bad fanart to me. I could make something visually more appealing in like an hour 😂

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, axlfan88 said:

The General is only for hardcore fans, it is average at best, it'll go completely unnoticed in the real world.

How many good gnr songs are like that tho? 
the average fan really knows the greatest hits. 
I get what you saying but I don’t think that makes it a bad song. 
Honestly if I think about cd 2 having the four songs released by the NILT formation pulse monsters, oh my god, atlas and state of grace it’s not a bad album. 
It doesn’t have no big gun but i could listen to it without skipping a song. 

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think both sides are exaggerating a lot. It's neither the best song after Estranged nor the weakest recording this band's ever made. To me it's a weird CD song with a great outro. It's surrounded by the typical CD atmosphere. But it's dark and painful. I don't mind the vocal effects after figuring out why they're there... Too me at first Axl tries to symbolise the child in him, then the pain he's felt... or is still feeling. Sounds like garbage without context but I dig it as an artistic choice. The vocal melody through the chorus is catchy and Axl's powerful. Gives it a lot of energy. It lacks the guitars up until the outro, but when Slash's lead kicks in it turns into a powerhouse.

Couldn’t agree more! 

Almost identical to the leak. Not the best GNR song but certainly not the worst. Can see it on an album but it is weird as a 'single'. Most people would be like wtf is this!?

It's ok. Nothing more. Certainly not excited about it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

It's clear the record label are pushing this as they own the material recorded over 20 years ago, hence why it's older music featuring some members of the band at that particular point in time. 

The band are simply meeting an obligation. 

They aren't stupid and understand the record label are trying to get in on the money wagon as the record label aren't generating any financial income from the band touring. 

The band will release new music recorded by the current line up as they will have full control over that material. 

Maybe, but even then the slow pace doesn't make sense. You'd think they'd want to get it out, clear the decks and be free. not shackled potentially to 2025.

• Like 1

Same opinion. It goes nowhere. 

To me this is a song that fits towards the end of a record. It definitely doesn't steal the show, it's just a mood piece. I don't really love or hate it. There's definitely some good ideas, but it needed to be fleshed out more, maybe a breakdown or feel change or a great solo... Something. In terms of quality from worst to beat Absurd, The general, HardSkool, Perhaps.

• Like 2

If this song came out on a new 12 track album - not as a single. we'd be like wow it's so experimental, cool ideas and a really interesting thing to put on an album. The fact is, it's come out 15 years after the least album, the 4th single in 3 years randomly dropped without explanation or reason. Of course the majority on social media won't like this. It's nowhere near a single or palatable mainstream release. it's a song dying a death because of how GnR have released it. 

Hardschool

State of Grace

Atlas Shrugged

Absurd

Perhaps

Going Down

The SeekerORWitchita Lineman

The General 

Monsters

Going Down

Quick Song

Nothing

Seven

If we had that in 2010 or 2015 we'd all be delighted. people wouod like 2-3 songs different songs each, creating debate, there'd be 2 singles maybe and there'd be different styles for  all tastes. Instead we get them dropped one at a time destroying their impact and how we enjoy them. Fuck GnR Fuck Axl. Release the above album now. Just drop it and then move on. 

My vinyl just arrived in the post.

It was packaged terribly (just in an envelope - no shrink wrap or anything) and the vinyl itself also looks terrible - “Perhaps” on the front cover is pixelated and looks horrendous. Maybe it is supposed to be like that but never noticed it before.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

If this song came out on a new 12 track album - not as a single. we'd be like wow it's so experimental, cool ideas and a really interesting thing to put on an album. The fact is, it's come out 15 years after the least album, the 4th single in 3 years randomly dropped without explanation or reason. Of course the majority on social media won't like this. It's nowhere near a single or palatable mainstream release. it's a song dying a death because of how GnR have released it. 

Hardschool

State of Grace

Atlas Shrugged

Absurd

Perhaps

Going Down

The General 

Monsters

Going Down

Quick Song

Nothing

Seven

If we had that in 2010 or 2015 we'd all be delighted. people wouod like 2-3 songs different songs each, creating debate, there'd be 2 singles maybe and there'd be different styles for  all tastes. Instead we get them dropped one at a time destroying their impact and how we enjoy them. Fuck GnR Fuck Axl. Release the above album now. Just drop it and then move on. 

Well, the biggest issue is the mixing and vocal effects. Every song released from the Chinese Democracy sessions since the reunion has added vocal effects from their original. We never heard The General originally. A 2010 album probably didn’t have the vocal effects they do now. It’s just a crap situation. 

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Hardschool

State of Grace

Atlas Shrugged

Absurd

Perhaps

Going Down

The General 

Monsters

Going Down

Quick Song

Nothing

Seven

if my grandma had wheels, she would've been a bike. It is what it is. At least some tunes are getting released, maybe Axl will release more in the future. If you expect Axl to not take years to do it, you're wasting your time imo.

So where's that merry band of posters that said "we'll see you eat humble pie on release day" to paraphrase..

Regarding that Oct 27th was the old demos and in fact Bucket and/or Finck and not current GNR guitarists Slash and 4Tus...

So I think the judges hammer has fallen BUT I'd still like to hear the crunch of the pastry of that humble pie 🥧

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2