THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

A Monsters release at some point isn’t unrealistic. You’ve got to learn not to believe everything you read about GNR rumors (or better not to believe anything) but could this be related to the official title of The General and Monsters? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

"The General And Monsters" was almost certainly a TB fuck up and not an official title.

Still strange how they leaked together, though.

”Monsters” should’ve been a hidden track on the “Perhaps” vinyl/CD, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

A Monsters release at some point isn’t unrealistic. You’ve got to learn not to believe everything you read about GNR rumors (or better not to believe anything) but could this be related to the official title of The General and Monsters? 

Still waiting to find out what other song is on the second music box they’re going to ship out to select Nightrain members, which they can’t say anything about just yet… :wacko:

13 minutes ago, gnfr20179 said:

Still waiting to find out what other song is on the second music box they’re going to ship out to select Nightrain members, which they can’t say anything about just yet… :wacko:

Don’t hold your breath. The site has been changed and there’s no mention of this now :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, gnfr20179 said:

It's probably the Buckethead solo from Shackler's Revenge that Bumblefoot recorded over. 

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

Don’t hold your breath. The site has been changed and there’s no mention of this now :lol:

I still see it mentioned under the article in the “News” section, so “perhaps” (hehe) not all hope is lost?

People who uploaded there own versions of what we now know to be Monsters had copyright strikes for 'The General' as that's what they had titled it (because that's what we all thought it was) . Seems to me they were registered combined so they could strike uploads without giving away that 'The General' was in fact Monsters. An example of the fanbase actually changing choices that they chose to make. At least I suspect that was the case.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Seems like a coy acknowledgement that what we thought was The General was actually Monsters, not alluding that the two were conjoined in any way.

Pretty sure Beltrami said they were separate songs anyway, somebody on here contacted him when the songs leaked and he said so. Wouldn't surprise me if both songs were cut to shit from what they originally were though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rindmelon said:

Pretty sure Beltrami said they were separate songs anyway, somebody on here contacted him when the songs leaked and he said so. Wouldn't surprise me if both songs were cut to shit from what they originally were though 

Especially “TG.” I really want an extended version with way more of his orchestration. It would bump it up several notches imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dani_1455 said:

I don't really understand why we did not ask Beltrami, when there was the opportunity, about if Seven and Thyme had vocals at that time.

I feel there is a quote from him years ago that all of the tracks he worked on were instrumental... However, that could have been Buckmaster.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gnfr20179 said:

Especially “TG.” I really want an extended version with way more of his orchestration. It would bump it up several notches imo.

I did think they could have put out just the orchestral part as a nice bonus. It's brilliant but a bit lost on the final mix, I'd wager it was more prominent back in the day on an older version. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's all the same song. I believe the first title was Leave Me Alone, then Elvis Presley & The Monster Of Soul, then Soul Monster, and finally just Monsters.

Ironic that all 3 original titles are much better than 'Monsters' - just makes its a bit cartoonish for me. more throwaway. Soul Monster is by far the best, leave me alone has a political personal appeal to it, and elvis presley and the monster of soul... that is just such a cool name for a song

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 2:26 PM, Sweersa said:

Perhaps! My unrealistic dream scenario is they knock out some NITL rehashed CD demos, but the album versions are with Buckethead and Robin with a proper mix and master. I know this won't happen. A new album will sound awful if they include the singles together, as they are. Perhaps with The General CD single sounds pretty bad because the mixes are wildly different. Adding Hard Skool and Absurd to another CD with other songs would be an even greater disaster without a remix and remaster.   

They could offer that as a bonus. But most likely place you could have got that was the single releases, *alternative mix*.

Hopefully you get to check this off the bucket list eventually though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Ironic that all 3 original titles are much better than 'Monsters' - just makes its a bit cartoonish for me. more throwaway. Soul Monster is by far the best, leave me alone has a political personal appeal to it, and elvis presley and the monster of soul... that is just such a cool name for a song

It just shows again that all that long time tinkering did not lead to anything positive. If your theory is true, that is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoon87 said:

It just shows again that all that long time tinkering did not lead to anything positive. If your theory is true, that is.

Agreed. I want to hear any “finished” tracks with NuGuns just as they were before the regrouping. I don’t love Bucket like some here do, but some of his solos are amazing. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Agreed. I want to hear any “finished” tracks with NuGuns just as they were before the regrouping. I don’t love Bucket like some here do, but some of his solos are amazing. 

I'd even go so far as that rumoured 1999 album, up to versions of 2002. These tracks would be killer.

I'm really not that in the know anymore when it comes to the timeline of the earliest leaks but I do remember for example that really early leak of IRS and man, that song really had a mean edge to it. It was blazing sharp riffage, perfectly accompanying Axl's mean vocals. 

Same with that early TWAT which was a total mood, a really dark vibe (and I love the album version ,too). I am not even going to start talking about The Blues. 

What we got afterwards...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JimiRose said:

We don't know if Monsters will be in fact the official title yet. It could be just a shortened version of the title, much like the band calls WTTJ as just "Jungle" on the setlist.

• Like 2