THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

On 10/5/2024 at 9:36 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Guitar work is absolutely fine in Monsters as is 🤷‍♂️

The guitar work on Monsters is my favorite Slash moment so on any of these reworked tracks, really melodic and awesome. Richard's lead at the end when they trade off is great as well

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ollster42 said:

imagine not having the cellphone recording in 2024…

I lost it when a hard drive crashed. Kinda wish I could compare it to Monsters :shrugs:

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

The guitar work on Monsters is my favorite Slash moment so on any of these reworked tracks, really melodic and awesome. Richard's lead at the end when they trade off is great as well

I still think it’s just Slash at the end

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I still think it’s just Slash at the end

Slash has ever bent a note in his life like the last several seconds of Monsters.

I’m doubtful it’s Richard though based on how much leftover comping has been done on these songs. It could even be BH or BBF and it could be a work in progress mix.

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

Slash has ever bent a note in his life like the last several seconds of Monsters.

I’m doubtful it’s Richard though based on how much leftover comping has been done on these songs. It could even be BH or BBF and it could be a work in progress mix.

I thought the same thing about the end of The General when it first leaked.

52 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Considering Axl discarded a Brian May solo for a Bumblefoot one on CD, it's very possible he left bits of the original BH or BBF solo on THe General.

The outro solo of what was released is 100% Slash. Absolutely no doubt there.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2024 at 1:21 AM, alfa75 said:

Also the Japanese CD version sounds much better.

I’m glad to hear this. I picked up the Japanese CD last week at Tower Records when I was in Tokyo (Hard Skool as well) but I haven’t had a chance to listen to either since I got home. Excited to give both a spin. 

2 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

Can we just get the official Atlas/Monsters releases at this point?

Most of us are expecting those two tracks, especially Monsters since it leaked with The General, and the leak more or less ended up being the same version as the officially released version for TG.

Atlas is assumed both because we have a "complete" leak or leaks of it from 2000 and 2001, and we know it had been worked on subsequent to the mixes that leaked.

I'm sure the band is sitting on additional completed songs, some of which Slash and Duff reworked. It would be nice if we actually get an unheard song (Berlin, Monstrocity, Seven, Cuban Skies, etc.) along with Monsters, assuming Monsters will be in the next two punch single release. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Most of us are expecting those two tracks, especially Monsters since it leaked with The General, and the leak more or less ended up being the same version as the officially released version for TG.

Atlas is assumed both because we have a "complete" leak or leaks of it from 2000 and 2001, and we know it had been worked on subsequent to the mixes that leaked.

I'm sure the band is sitting on additional completed songs, some of which Slash and Duff reworked. It would be nice if we actually get an unheard song (Berlin, Monstrocity, Seven, Cuban Skies, etc.) along with Monsters, assuming Monsters will be in the next two punch single release. 

Based on the unreleased tracks from the Village leaks - we know that Atlas is the only other fairly complete song that hasn’t been released yet (maybe “State of Grace” too.) And we know that it was the last song cut from Chinese Democracy, per Bumblefoot.

Its still a mystery as to where “Monsters/Soul Monster” came from, right?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Based on the unreleased tracks from the Village leaks - we know that Atlas is the only other fairly complete song that hasn’t been released yet (maybe “State of Grace” too.) And we know that it was the last song cut from Chinese Democracy, per Bumblefoot.

Its still a mystery as to where “Monsters/Soul Monster” came from, right?

It is currently unknown where The General & Monsters leaked from. All we know is they are recent mixes.

The 2008 album has Sorry (with vocals), Better (with vocals), This I Love, and Scraped and we know Monsters (Soul Monster) had vocals by 2010 so it's highly likely they are sitting on additional tracks with vocals that were not included in or existed from the time the Village leaks came from. But if going by what we know, yes, Atlas is one of a few songs confirmed with vocals. Brain referred to vocals on Seven, but it may have been in jest. There's also Oh My God, which we know was worked on after 1999 with the leaked Bucket and Bumble version, and Axl also talked of a remix that fit a different description from the leak. Also, Blood In The Water. Maybe Axl recorded those vocals for that remix, or maybe they were lifted from a complete song we don't have any info on. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Based on the unreleased tracks from the Village leaks - we know that Atlas is the only other fairly complete song that hasn’t been released yet (maybe “State of Grace” too.)

I think we get Atlas but I don't think it's accurate to say we know it's the only other fairly complete song. 

Zoot's discs are just a snapshot of what was going on when he was there. It's not going to include anything that was done after he was fired at the screening of Black Hawk Down and I doubt after that happened that they just jumped to working on nothing but the 14 CD tracks. There are probably versions of Quick Song for example that are way more finished than what we have heard.

Doesn't mean there coming out of course & I doubt that aside from Monsters and Atlas we get anything, but I suspect there are way more finished songs than people expect that were either completed or close to it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I think we get Atlas but I don't think it's accurate to say we know it's the only other fairly complete song. 

Zoot's discs are just a snapshot of what was going on when he was there. It's not going to include anything that was done after he was fired at the screening of Black Hawk Down and I doubt after that happened that they just jumped to working on nothing but the 14 CD tracks. There are probably versions of Quick Song for example that are way more finished than what we have heard.

Doesn't mean there coming out of course & I doubt that aside from Monsters and Atlas we get anything, but I suspect there are way more finished songs than people expect that were either completed or close to it.

Agree to all those saying there's more vocal tracks/instrumentals we have never heard of....surely it goes without saying! It's logical and 99.9% surely accurate. As there's plenty of fact/hear say and info from those years (and since) that backs that up...

Those that are cynical and say otherwise are probably the people that said we'd heard absolutely everything prior to 2019 😜

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I really hope the b-side of Monsters won’t be Atlas.

People seems to be so sure about It, but I don't get It.

"Atlas is a completed song", we had The General that hadn't leaked before Atlas so this is clearly not the pattern.

From the words of Duff and 4tus I think we are going to get more than 2 songs, maybe not all of them in 2025 but I think there is clearly more material

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dani_1455 said:

"Atlas is a completed song", we had The General that hadn't leaked before Atlas so this is clearly not the pattern.

From the words of Duff and 4tus I think we are going to get more than 2 songs, maybe not all of them in 2025 but I think there is clearly more material

I don’t even believe that. “More to come” is a pretty vague statement, but Slash made it clear what we can expect. And that’s probably another one-two combo of reworked songs. Both, Slash and Duff talked about completely new music after that iirc, but as long as there isn’t an official proof of them (Axl) recording in a studio I won’t believe that either.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dani_1455 said:

And they could've released Atlas even before Absurd. To me it's clear that the song lost some priority since 2008.

We don't even know if Slash and Duff wanted to do something with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I really hope the b-side of Monsters won’t be Atlas.

I think 2025 would go down a storm if we got Monsters / Atlas and an unheard gem....

That would be a great way to celebrate 40 years! I mean, of course, we'd want far more...but working within the peramenters of what GNR are realistically gonna do....Vs fantasy.

• GNFNR 1