THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

And they could've released Atlas even before Absurd. To me it's clear that the song lost some priority since 2008.

We don't even know if Slash and Duff wanted to do something with it.

That's my point, I think OMG is out of the prediction also, don't think they will re-release that, so Monsters & what else?

Seems interesting next year

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dani_1455 said:

That's my point, I think OMG is out of the prediction also, don't think they will re-release that, so Monsters & what else?

Seems interesting next year

In fantasy land, “Monsters” and “OMG” reworked would make a great Halloween release. Throw “The General” on there too.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

In fantasy land, “Monsters” and “OMG” reworked would make a great Halloween release. Throw “The General” on there too.

Monstrocity and Tonto, and Cuban Skies as well and we can't forget Berlin, Seven and Zodiac 13 if it doesn't exist under the aforementioned titles. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Monstrocity and Tonto, and Cuban Skies as well and we can't forget Berlin, Seven and Zodiac 13 if it doesn't exist under the aforementioned titles. 

You keep mentioning these but the problem is how many actually have completed vocals. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

Please no for Halloween. Why are people trying to turn a good song with heavy subject matter into a gimmick? I know USA loves halloween, but it's just gimmicky and tenuous to make a link just because it's called monsters. The monster being mentioned is either seymour or his dad or a combination of both, not a ghoul in the cupboard. This song is better than a once yearly play to a completely unrelated american gimmick day. 

I get what you mean but as well as that I am not confident they would try to release it for Halloween anyway.

Releasing it for Halloween gives it a specific release date it has to hit, or at the very least a specific week. Given there history of delays with releases it's probably not a good idea.

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Please no for Halloween. Why are people trying to turn a good song with heavy subject matter into a gimmick? I know USA loves halloween, but it's just gimmicky and tenuous to make a link just because it's called monsters

I hear ya, but maybe the band (Axl) doesn’t want the heavy association with abuse that the song implies. In that sense, Halloween would be the perfect time to release the track. 

23 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

I hear ya, but maybe the band (Axl) doesn’t want the heavy association with abuse that the song implies. In that sense, Halloween would be the perfect time to release the track. 

But does Monsters really deal with the subject of child abuse?

Couldn’t it be just a poisonous former relationship and the relief after it’s over?

3 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

I get what you mean but as well as that I am not confident they would try to release it for Halloween anyway.

Releasing it for Halloween gives it a specific release date it has to hit, or at the very least a specific week. Given there history of delays with releases it's probably not a good idea.

So in other words, even if they planned on releasing Monsters on Halloween something would go wrong and we would only get it on TouchTunes 😆 

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

But does Monsters really deal with the subject of child abuse?

Couldn’t it be just a poisonous former relationship and the relief after it’s over?

I think people are still confusing it for the subject matter from The General.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Please no for Halloween. Why are people trying to turn a good song with heavy subject matter into a gimmick? I know USA loves halloween, but it's just gimmicky and tenuous to make a link just because it's called monsters. The monster being mentioned is either seymour or his dad or a combination of both, not a ghoul in the cupboard. This song is better than a once yearly play to a completely unrelated american gimmick day. 

This....but I take it coming out right about now for unrelated reasons 😜

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Plus Axl has said multiple times, CD2 was "done" - so unless it's an instrumental album.,....🤷

CD2 in the Ashba era probably woulda been this:

Hard Skool, Atlas, Perhaps, The General, Monsters, Absurd, OMG (Remix), Quick Song, Nothing, Going Down, 10%er, Eye on You

12 songs, sure, but does that seriously look like a good album to you?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Hard Skool, Atlas, Perhaps, The General, Monsters, Absurd, OMG (Remix), Quick Song, Nothing, Going Down, 10%er, Eye on You

Yes, it looks like a good album to me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Definitely good enough. Although “nothing”’s title fits the song for me. 

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Doubt 10%er would've been included, Going Down is way stronger and I don't think he'd put 2 Tommy songs on one album.

Idk why people even mention Eye On You, it's awful and incomplete... one verse with the worst chorus ever written :lol: thankfully it seems to have been stripped for parts and abandoned. SOG with the demo vocals would go over better than that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Dunno, there's half an album I don't really know what it sounds like there.....bar some very early instrumentals 

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Quick song and Eye On You there not make so much sense, they don't appear on the famous tracklist of CD2, there could be any song, but Monstrosity and Cuban Skies makes so much sense.

I would love to hear lot of new songs on 2025, but a Monsters/Oklahoma release would make me so happy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Doubt 10%er would've been included, Going Down is way stronger and I don't think he'd put 2 Tommy songs on one album.

Idk why people even mention Eye On You, it's awful and incomplete... one verse with the worst chorus ever written :lol: thankfully it seems to have been stripped for parts and abandoned. SOG with the demo vocals would go over better than that.

I think any song in which Axl cared enough to record some sort of vocals shouldn’t be considered out of the cards. 

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think any song in which Axl cared enough to record some sort of vocals shouldn’t be considered out of the cards. 

Some of the vocals from Eye On You were repurposed for Hard Skool though, the scream at the end of the solo is the clear giveaway. Just because it's a demo we've heard with vocals doesn't mean it's still a real option... it was an unfinished, cool idea with some great vocals, but not something that could be released...

We don't even know what was abandoned. Nothing was in that CD2 email but Quick Song was never mentioned after like 2005? SOG was a finished song that was never mentioned, TIL remix has some of the best vocals Axl's ever recorded and it was left to rot...