THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do people actually think they might release Monsters around Halloween this year? :lol:

I guess they could just surprise release it, zero build up? same outcome😄 I don't think it's coming that soon though, almost certainly getting released though considering everything we already know

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Some of the vocals from Eye On You were repurposed for Hard Skool though, the scream at the end of the solo is the clear giveaway. Just because it's a demo we've heard with vocals doesn't mean it's still a real option... it was an unfinished, cool idea with some great vocals, but not something that could be released...

We don't even know what was abandoned. Nothing was in that CD2 email but Quick Song was never mentioned after like 2005? SOG was a finished song that was never mentioned, TIL remix has some of the best vocals Axl's ever recorded and it was left to rot...

The reuse of Eye On You snippets wouldn't matter if they just had other vocal takes. It was unfinished, as you said. 

I'm just saying that you have to consider that there was some effort put into the track, which is more than we can say for some awesome instrumentals from that era. It could also mean that those tracks were written mainly by Axl, of course. 

About TIL remix, that's another thing IMO. We know that Axl circa 2006 could pull it off, and maybe he recorded a bunch of other stuff back then. But to me, the problem wasn't that Axl wasn't capable of recording good/awesome takes, but that he didn't write his own vocal parts/lyrics. 

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I guess they could just surprise release it, zero build up? same outcome😄 I don't think it's coming that soon though, almost certainly getting released though considering everything we already know

Since 2021, there’s been some sort of GNR release each year… 2022 didn’t have new music but we got the UYI box.

Anything goes (no pun intended) with this band…

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gnfr20179 said:

Since 2021, there’s been some sort of GNR release each year… 2022 didn’t have new music but we got the UYI box.

Since 2020 actually, if you count the GH reissue and the NITL selects, and we also got the AFD box in 2018, and the fanclub-exclusive live EP last year. Not bad, all things considered (no pun intended).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Since 2020 actually, if you count the GH reissue and the NITL selects, and we also got the AFD box in 2018, and the fanclub-exclusive live EP last year. Not bad, all things considered (no pun intended).

I feel like the band will def capitalize on the holiday season in some capacity… even if it’s just a vinyl reissue of something.

But a surprise drop of “Monsters” along with the tour announcement would really be the chef’s kiss. Besides, if a tour really is kicking off next Summer, tickets should probably start going up for sale right about now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gnfr20179 said:

I feel like the band will def capitalize on the holiday season in some capacity… even if it’s just a vinyl reissue of something.

But a surprise drop of “Monsters” along with the tour announcement would really be the chef’s kiss. Besides, if a tour really is kicking off next Summer, tickets should probably start going up for sale right about now.

If the Australian February dates are real, I’m surprised they haven’t announced them for real yet.

Then again, Linkin Park waited until the last minute to announce their new shows too, so maybe this is just the new norm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

If the Australian February dates are real, I’m surprised they haven’t announced them for real yet.

Then again, Linkin Park waited until the last minute to announce their new shows too, so maybe this is just the new norm.

Ya, Linkin Park was an insanely quick turnaround between presale and actual tour dates.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2024 at 6:54 PM, gnfr20179 said:

Not sure what point you're making that's different to mine. 

They will release Monsters, and the band have been heavily hinting something is coming relatively soon. 

Reissues are in a whole other category though, so they released two songs in 2021, then released some more in 2023. It's not regular and you can't guess and say 'They did this in Nov of this year, so they'll probably do that next Nov too'. 

2 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I always find it weird when people get excited for a song to be released that we’ve heard around a year ago now (Monsters)

It is strange. But maybe the mix quality is 5-10% better like it was on the official The General compared to the leak. :P Plus, we might get a video, and artwork. And best of all, a several months after the digital official release of Monsters, we might get a physical release of some kind. 

6 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I always find it weird when people get excited for a song to be released that we’ve heard around a year ago now (Monsters)

I find it even weirder that people are actually waiting for the official release, hoping it has a b-side we've had for 5+ years... I'd bet they tour Aus/NZ/Asia, Europe and South America with their 'new songs' Perhaps and The General before they drop Monsters. It's still realistically a long way from release...

• Like 1

An official release is nice because,

A. It is often a clearer version (even if not by much). 

B. It allows for it to be heard easier with streaming

C. Usually means a physical release which is appreciated by collectors like me

D. Most importantly, it "gets it out of the way" to hopefully pave the way for an unheard release. This is, no doubt, very frusturating for the artist

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Great, more terrible AI "animation" from creativeworks... :vomit:

Monsters deserves good artwork though, I expect something minimal but I hope they get Arian Buhler to do something cool.

I know, it’s strange as with their concert lithos they have some incredible art. The Perhaps video was fun, except for all of the shots with Fernando. Even Hard Skool and Absurd were ok as far as what to expect for videos. The General was jarring. Hard to watch. Monsters does deserve so much more. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I know, it’s strange as with their concert lithos they have some incredible art. The Perhaps video was fun, except for all of the shots with Fernando. Even Hard Skool and Absurd were ok as far as what to expect for videos. The General was jarring. Hard to watch. Monsters does deserve so much more. 

I like live-footage videos and enjoyed Perhaps, I'd be happy if Monsters got a similar video. I just hope they don't let creativeworks add unnecessary "animation"...