AC/DC 2024 tour rumours

SAU3R

Also all the info that have surfaced about Cliff not partaking is interesting.

it seems probable that despite ACDC's legacy just Brian, Angus and Stevie on rhythm + others would be enough for most of the 'casuals' to go see them live.

Laug showed on PT that great music can be made with great fresh faces and legacy can be kept respectfully - I'm genuinely curious for the lineup announcement.

Totally understand why many big fans got disappointed and concerned about the choice of the drummer and a legendary bassists absence tho.

But hey - many people still think 4tus is Izzy, right? I guess many people wont even notice, provided the new members deliver.

Fresh energy is often good energy. Waiting.

And then when February 12th comes with no announcement, we'll hear about how something else behind the scenes happened to postpone it. Then we'll get a new rumoured date and repeat the process again.

Not trying to be negative so much as to be realistic. No use in getting wrapped up in rumours and hopes. If a tour will happen, it will get announced in due time when there's something concrete and official.

At this point it all feels very much "my distant relative knows the mayor of a small town in Nebraska and he said AC/DC is scheduled to play 87 shows in Nebraska alone on their 400 date world tour. And Bon and Malcolm will be there!"

• GNFNR 1

13 hours ago, James Bond said:

At this point it all feels very much "my distant relative knows the mayor of a small town in Nebraska and he said AC/DC is scheduled to play 87 shows in Nebraska alone on their 400 date world tour. And Bon and Malcolm will be there!"

My uncle works at ACDC.
Get ready for that 500 dates Sphere residency.

• GNFNR 1

On 2/2/2024 at 4:22 PM, James Bond said:

And then when February 12th comes with no announcement, we'll hear about how something else behind the scenes happened to postpone it. Then we'll get a new rumoured date and repeat the process again.

Not trying to be negative so much as to be realistic. No use in getting wrapped up in rumours and hopes. If a tour will happen, it will get announced in due time when there's something concrete and official.

8 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Fuck sake, this time we didn't even have to wait until February 12 :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Now I believe it.

That said, I don't think I'll be able to swing it. Power Trip was amazing for Brian (he truly deserved that), but I worry about his sustainability for a tour. I'd settle for Matt Laug but having no Cliff will be a buzz kill. AC/DC means so much to my life but I expect it'll be more than I care to spend this year.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Now I believe it.

That said, I don't think I'll be able to swing it. Power Trip was amazing for Brian (he truly deserved that), but I worry about his sustainability for a tour. I'd settle for Matt Laug but having no Cliff will be a buzz kill. AC/DC means so much to my life but I expect it'll be more than I care to spend this year.

I am just really happy people who have not had the chance to see them will be able to get one more shot. That is always a big upside when these legacy acts go out on a new tour. 

Personally, I am pretty content with my AC/DC run- 2009 Black Ice (on the floor and it was awesome!), Rock or Bust 2015 in the rafters, and Axl/DC in 2016 from the lower bowl. Even got to meet the entire band sans Cliff in 2016! Pretty damn good trifecta of shows if you ask me, especially that 2009 show. That was mind-blowing with the Back in Black lineup and the train on- stage. A quintessential AC/DC show, it felt like Donnington had come to life before my very eyes. 

That being said, if they came to Detroit I would strongly consider one last hurrah. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I am just really happy people who have not had the chance to see them will be able to get one more shot. That is always a big upside when these legacy acts go out on a new tour. 

Personally, I am pretty content with my AC/DC run- 2009 Black Ice (on the floor and it was awesome!), Rock or Bust 2015 in the rafters, and Axl/DC in 2016 from the lower bowl. Even got to meet the entire band sans Cliff in 2016! Pretty damn good trifecta of shows if you ask me, especially that 2009 show. That was mind-blowing with the Back in Black lineup and the train on- stage. A quintessential AC/DC show, it felt like Donnington had come to life before my very eyes. 

That being said, if they came to Detroit I would strongly consider one last hurrah. 

@Powerage5 had invited me to that 2016 show but I passed since I already had tickets for Buffalo (which in itself was the best Axl has ever sounded to my ears). Big mistake in retrospect since I inadvertently passed on meeting the band. :lol:

But I agree. I saw three Black Ice shows so I've seen the line-up. I saw Rock or Bust twice with Brian and once with Axl. All in, that's 6 shows and a decent selection of tunes I've been able to see. It was cool being able to see the Back In Black line-up and then later see Slade back in the fold for some Donington nostalgia. I'd like to say I'm good, and I feel like I am. I'll see what the prices are like.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

@Powerage5 had invited me to that 2016 show but I passed since I already had tickets for Buffalo (which in itself was the best Axl has ever sounded to my ears). Big mistake in retrospect since I inadvertently passed on meeting the band. :lol:

But I agree. I saw three Black Ice shows so I've seen the line-up. I saw Rock or Bust twice with Brian and once with Axl. All in, that's 6 shows and a decent selection of tunes I've been able to see. It was cool being able to see the Back In Black line-up and then later see Slade back in the fold for some Donington nostalgia. I'd like to say I'm good, and I feel like I am. I'll see what the prices are like.

Oh man, that would have been awesome! It was a great show- Axl sounded unbelievable. Our seats were pretty good, too. Would have been good to meet you

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cosmo said:

I'm certain you all discussed this before, and sorry for arriving waaay too late to the discussion but are Simon Wright or Chris Slade unavailable? 

Chris Slade suffered a stroke in 2020 and although he’s on tour with his timeline band, he’s not in shape to do a tour with AC/DC:

Iirc Simon had a falling out with Malcolm after his departure and is a persona non grata since then, which is a shame because he would be a good stand in but so is Matt Laug

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

Insider on the AC/DC forum claims that Matt Laug will be on drums and Chris Chaney (Janes Addiction, Alanis,…) on bass. Gonna be a weird lineup 

I hope the lineup gets announced at parallel time with the dates.
I can see many fans holding up with buying the tickets if the lineup is left unknown for later.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2024 at 11:47 AM, K00b4 said:

I hope the lineup gets announced at parallel time with the dates.
I can see many fans holding up with buying the tickets if the lineup is left unknown for later.

I don't think the ticket sales will suffer from hardcore fans complaining about the line-up. They still had a full audience during the shows with Axl.

Yeah this tour well sell well regardless. As long as Angus is up there calling it AC/DC, and especially now with Brian - it'll sell.

It's a shame though. I'm totally fine with Stevie - part of the family, part of the history. It worked out great in 2015/2016 when at least Cliff was still there to soften the blow of no Malcolm, and then Slade to soften the blow of no Phil since it was another legacy member. A respectable line-up.

However, launching a tour with two session guys kind of feels all for nothing. I'm glad Brian got his time at Power Trip. He deserved that more than anybody. But no Cliff and no Phil? I really wanted Power Up (album and tour) to be a proper last hurrah for as much of the "classic" line-up as possible since it all fell apart during the Rock Or Bust tour. As I expect this will be the last tour, it's a shame that we'll get a soft ending for the band once again. Playing well past the prime with a couple of younger guys is just a direction I never expected or wanted for AC/DC. Personal preference of course. I'm sure the audience won't care at all.

I just think a brand new rhythm section is going to change the sound and dynamic of the band. It feels cheap. Laug was great at Power Trip, but Cliff was still there. Now it'll be Laug and another new guy - be it Chaney or not. Cliff has a busier and more distinct style than I think many realize. He's a very important asset to the sound.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

It’d be funny if Chris Chainey really does end up being the new bassist for a few reasons:

1.Just like Axl and Matt Laug, he’s also worked with Slash in the past (for the 2010 album).

2.When Taylor Hawkins first recruited him for Alanis Morrisette’s band way back in 1995, he didn’t even like rock, and now he’s about to join the biggest rock band of them all.

3.Duff almost got this gig instead it seems, and he and Duff both had stints in Jane’s Addiction.