AC/DC 2024 tour rumours

SAU3R

I’ll do Gelsenkirchen (preferably opening night) and then I have to decide between Bratislava and Munich. I’ve already booked a hotel in Munich and I love the Olympiastadion but I also wanna visit Slovakia and seeing bands abroad is always a cool experience… will have to think about that 

• Like 1

Genuine question. Is anyone really excited about seeing this line up? Brian God bless him can't sing like he used too. Stevie's only been there all of two albums and is no Malcolm, the drummer and bassist however talented they may be are substitutes and Angus is the only original member.

I mean 2016 wasn't perfect either. But you had Chris Slade returning and Axl filling in was something of a novelty which worked surprisingly well. This just reeks of a cash grab. Sure GN'R's tours are cash grab too. But at least you've got Axl, Slash, Duff n Dizzy.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

13 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Genuine question. Is anyone really excited about seeing this line up? Brian God bless him can't sing like he used too. Stevie's only been there all of two albums and is no Malcolm, the drummer and bassist however talented they may be are substitutes and Angus is the only original member.

I mean 2016 wasn't perfect either. But you had Chris Slade returning and Axl filling in was something of a novelty which worked surprisingly well. This just reeks of a cash grab. Sure GN'R's tours are cash grab too. But at least you've got Axl, Slash, Duff n Dizzy.

I’m not. I’d go locally for a fun night out, but the people who haven’t seen AC/DC before will be excited and they get Angus and Brian together

48 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Ironic coming from a GNR fan. Have you forgot 2002 to 2014? The main person and show at this point is Angus. The second most important person is Brian, doesn't matter if he's not as good as he once was. The people who are not the event fans that fill the stadiums would also want to see Malcolm, but obviously that's not possible.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Ironic coming from a GNR fan. Have you forgot 2002 to 2014? The main person and show at this point is Angus. The second most important person is Brian, doesn't matter if he's not as good as he once was. The people who are not the event fans that fill the stadiums would also want to see Malcolm, but obviously that's not possible.

No. Being a GN'R fan the irony isn't lost on me. I chose to go and see Guns in 07 knowing it was just Axl n Dizzy with a totally different band. I went and just enjoyed it for what it was. That and I was curious to hear the then new and (officially) unreleased songs live. 

11 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

No. Being a GN'R fan the irony isn't lost on me. I chose to go and see Guns in 07 knowing it was just Axl n Dizzy with a totally different band. I went and just enjoyed it for what it was. That and I was curious to hear the then new and (officially) unreleased songs live. 

Well, and people go and are excited because this could be the last time seeing that band.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well, and people go and are excited because this could be the last time seeing that band.

Presumably if this was going to be their last lot of shows ever Cliff would've been persuaded to stick around. With Phil I suspect it's different. He presumably has visa issues due to his criminal record which I'm guessing are stopping him taking part. They should've just asked (or never gotten rid of for the second time) Chris Slade. Sounds like even after his stroke a while back he still plays great.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Presumably if this was going to be their last lot of shows ever Cliff would've been persuaded to stick around. With Phil I suspect it's different. He presumably has visa issues due to his criminal record which I'm guessing are stopping him taking part. They should've just asked (or never gotten rid of for the second time) Chris Slade. Sounds like even after his stroke a while back he still plays great.

Cliff doesn't want to tour. He gave his last show notice at Power trip. And well, older drummers are always been shit on. Ask Bill Ward, ask Joey Kramer. They probably don't have faith in him that he can do a full tour.

14 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Cliff doesn't want to tour. He gave his last show notice at Power trip. And well, older drummers are always been shit on. Ask Bill Ward, ask Joey Kramer. They probably don't have faith in him that he can do a full tour.

Cliff doesn't want to tour endlessly if it's going to be an ongoing thing. However I think if it was a farewell tour and he knew there was an end to it in sight it might be different.

51 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Cliff doesn't want to tour endlessly if it's going to be an ongoing thing. However I think if it was a farewell tour and he knew there was an end to it in sight it might be different.

It's a 3 months tour. It's not just a couple of shows. Most likely there will also be a US tour and an australian tour. He also said that he has physical problems. So maybe it is not really his choice anymore.

Edited by PatrickS77

Slade can't keep up with it post-stroke. It's sad, and hey, I admire that he goes out with his timeline band and still does his thing, but he's also much older too. His tempo is all over the place. I'm not surprised he didn't get the call this time.

I really like Matt Laug. He nailed it at Power Trip.

It'll be interesting to hear the backing vocals too. Cliff's voice was pretty high in the mix in what I saw from Power Trip, which was most welcome. Stevie also seemed to improved a bit from 2015/2016. If Chaney's got a voice, then we could arguably get the best live backing vocals we've ever had from the band.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I'm sure the shows will be great. As has been said, both Laug and Chaney are pros so I'm sure they'll slot in together without a problem and AC/DC's production is always top notch. Sure, it's less AC/DC than AXL/DC in terms of members who have toured and recorded with the band in the past but the main excitement I feel is Brian's comeback and this tour will probably be his victory lap. Sadly so many of the classic rock bands from the '60s and '70s aren't as complete as they once were. I have to say fair play to the band for the pricing for Wembley. Was expecting it to be double that and given even younger bands like Paramore are charging a hundred odd quid a ticket it seems like good value in the current climate where prices have gotten truly insane. 

Money wise this was always going to be a stretch though as I need a hotel these days and I've booked to go to several shows this year. I had a look for hotels not long after the announcement and they'd all gone bar the Hilton which was crazy money so that's me out. Hope people that are trying for tickets are successful and looking forward to hearing reports! 

Edited by Seb91

4 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Bands going this long naturally will have different incarnations in order to keep going this long and each of that incarnation will be loved by some fans, despised by others and accepted by the masses as long as popularity is established the label is right.

That being said, for me there's just enough AC/DC left in this lineup.

The rhythm section is crucial to that AC/DC sound and having some "pros" fill in doesn't work for me. When they got Axl to fill in for Brian at least they got a real rock star. And when Axl got Buckethead and Ron at least he got us some real virtuosos. Those replacements in AC/DC might be fine musicians, but given the cultural impact and heritage of AC/DC among entire generations they are not enough.

Cash grab? More like age and inability to let go, both on their side and the fans. I saw them with Malcolm, Cliff and Phil and to this day it remains one of the most cherished concerts of my life. I'd be an idiot to let the upcoming tour put a shadow on that memory. If Cliff and Phil would be on board, I would have attended at least one show to celebrate them and part of my own life. But with those guys? At this point? For those ticket prices? In those venues? In these times? No fucking way.

Time to let go. And I say this with a heavy heart. I fucking love AC/DC.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Bands going this long naturally will have different incarnations in order to keep going this long and each of that incarnation will be loved by some fans, despised by others and accepted by the masses as long as popularity is established the label is right.

That being said, for me there's just enough AC/DC left in this lineup.

The rhythm section is crucial to that AC/DC sound and having some "pros" fill in doesn't work for me. When they got Axl to fill in for Brian at least they got a real rock star. And when Axl got Buckethead and Ron at least he got us some real virtuosos. Those replacements in AC/DC might be fine musicians, but given the cultural impact and heritage of AC/DC among entire generations they are not enough.

Cash grab? More like age and inability to let go, both on their side and the fans. I saw them with Malcolm, Cliff and Phil and to this day it remains one of the most cherished concerts of my life. I'd be an idiot to let the upcoming tour put a shadow on that memory. If Cliff and Phil would be on board, I would have attended at least one show to celebrate them and part of my own life. But with those guys? At this point? For those ticket prices? In those venues? In these times? No fucking way.

Time to let go. And I say this with a heavy heart. I fucking love AC/DC.

Yeah agreed. With Phil it's probably not that he doesn't want to tour but getting a visa to tour most places with a criminal record. With Cliff I totally understand. He's not a young man, he's got health issues, he's done his time and just wants to relax. Fair enough and good for him. It'd be selfish and wrong to want him to continue and be in pain just for our enjoyment. I wish him all the best.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, Gunner Gilby said:

I am not, and I say that as a massive, massive AC/DC fan that has accepted every other thing that has come before. AC/DC has always sort of…had an air of legitimacy that a lot of other bands lack. They’ve always kept a solid core, they’ve always been affordable concerts, they’ve never over-commercialized (I mean, we’re talking about one of the last major holdouts in streaming and the band that wouldn’t license individual songs to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band). That’s not to say I don’t legitimately consider this AC/DC, it is. But the lineup changes are getting so frequent it’s dizzying. I mean honestly, no exaggeration, there has been as many lineup changes in the last decade as there were in the 40 years that preceded. On top of that AC/DC has always “kept it in the family” so to speak, a lineup change was a very rare thing, and it did not come lightly. That’s not to say any of the changes have been bad, and especially during the Rock Or Bust era it was unavoidable. It’s unfortunate that Malcolm could no longer continue, but also Stevie was family literally and figuratively (Since he briefly filled in for Malcolm during the Blow Up Your Video tour) - Stevie is as close as you can get to Malcolm without being Malcolm. Dates for the ROB tour were already announced and on sale when Phil got himself into legal trouble, nothing that could be done except to replace him (And once again it was done with an AC/DC alum). The Brian situation was very bizarre, but again it was either get a fill in or face a huge issue canceling so many dates. 

But now feels different somehow. The band would have known for some time that Phil is unable to tour, and I would assume Cliff’s intentions were known given that he had intended to retire in 2016. And yeah it’s great that Brian is back (As much as we loved Axl in the band), but bringing in two members that are entirely fresh blood both at the same time…it just doesn’t felt like how AC/DC has always functioned in a business sense. It feels more like a cash grab this time around. 

That said, I am confident it will still be a great show. I am confident that the new rhythm section will be able to carry on that classic AC/DC sound. As @James Bond said, it’s also exciting in the sense that Angus tends to refresh the set lists when the lineups shift. And it probably won’t even stop me from catching a show or two when they come stateside. But it just doesn’t have that same excitement as it normally does when AC/DC announces a tour. They’ve toured so infrequently since 1991 that it was always a huge event when AC/DC announced a tour. This time around I just don’t feel, or see from others the same level of anticipation. 

• Like 3

I will also most likely hit up a show but my thoughts are very similar to Powerage's (who has always been able to describe this stuff better than me). Ultimately with what AC/DC means as a band to me I view this as an opportunity to likely say goodbye. On a similar note, it's undoubtedly great for those who haven't been able to hear these songs live before this, whether they were too young for Black Ice/ROB or whatever else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think as long as it is Angus and Brian, it is hard to be too critical of the lineup. That brings more legitimacy imo. For me, the biggest thing that is going against them is the passage of time. They aged a lot from 2016- Power Trip. That can’t be helped, and I am glad Brian got a proper goodbye. I hope they can all make it through a massive tour with dignity. 

• Like 1

The only appeal of this tour seems to be 'I still want to see Angus live' or treating it like a sendoff. Maybe a few 'residencies' at places like Wembley, Coachella, River Plate, etc with Cliff would've been more exciting. Brian deserves a last hurrah, but he sounded bad at Power Trip and I can't imagine him doing 20+ shows without issues...

„I hear that if everything goes as expected, there will be a short North American run of gigs, followed by very few South American shows, one in NZ and the tour will finish in Down Under with very few concerts. Then it is "Adios, Amigos!" I guess.“

- the insider who gave the most info about the tour on the AC/DC forum