Axl/GN'R sued by fan over thrown microphone in 2021 (lawsuit document)

m. is my favourite: "...failing to instruct Axl Rose to use a microphone" :lol:

Say what you want about Axl, but I'm sure he knows how to use a microphone.

You go to a GNR concert you know Axl throws his mic at the end of the show - it's tradition!

Never heard of Axl getting sued for throwing his mic or anyone getting hurt by it until recent tours. I guess that happens when 90% of your audience is "casual" fans having no idea what they are in for.

Maybe they should start selling helmets instead of t-shirts.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

You go to a GNR concert you know Axl throws his mic at the end of the show - it's tradition!

Not to make a comment on the lawsuit or Axl's practise of tossing the mic, but how many people in the audiences do you think knows this? Like, how many at Glastonbury do you think was aware of this tradition? 95% of the audience? 50% of the audience?

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Not to make a comment on the lawsuit or Axl's practise of tossing the mic, but how many people in the audiences do you think knows this? Like, how many at Glastonbury do you think was aware of this tradition? 95% of the audience? 50% of the audience?

I suppose some things are just common knowledge but I might be wrong about that. I mean it's not like Axl is intentionally hurting people at shows, it was clearly an accident. The damages that woman claims read as if she was beaten up by Mike Tyson. She got hit by a Shure Beta 58. Once. That thing weighs about 300 grams.

7 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I suppose some things are just common knowledge but I might be wrong about that.

I think you might be wrong. I expect the majority of people at typical audiences to not really know that much about GN'R except knowing the radio hits and just going out because they like a rock show - and certainly not being familiar with details like Axl's throwing the mic, unless this isn't their first show.

And again, I am not making an argument here about the validity of the lawsuit claims, just pondering whether she should have known it would happen or not.

Edited by SoulMonster

nowdays we have smart phones, more distractions, casuals that don't pay attention, etc. It was a cool tradition and maybe the two people that got hit in the face by Axl's mic wanted to get something out of it, whatever, but they did get hit in the face with Axl's mic so personally I think it's a good thing for the band and for the fans that they don't do it anymore, even if it also sucks that the shows are a little less exciting without the mic toss at the end.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I think you might be wrong. I expect the majority of people at typical audiences to not really know that much about GN'R except knowing the radio hits and just going out because they like a rock show - and certainly not being familiar with details like Axl's throwing the mic, unless this isn't their first show.

That's why I'm all for offering helmets at the merch stand. Maybe print a warning on each ticket "Incoming! Duck and cover at the end of Paradise City!"

• Haha 3

This world is a sad state of affairs if that's what she is sueing for. 

You know when you go to a concert that there are loads of hazards namely tens of thousands of other people who are potential weapons. 

Back in the day you would get loaded and then stake your place and stick there. These days too many casuals in the gold circle and other parts of the stadium who spend 70% of the concert traipsing backwards and forward getting more alcohol to the point they ain't got a clue what is going on and then starting trouble. 

I know the band make revenue from this so would not stop. That for me if far more dangerous than a microphone getting tossed at the end of the show. FFS

Edited by waxl1974
Spelling

How much does the microphone weight?  

I had an orbital fracture in my teens caused by a high speed collision at a baseball practice where a taller players shoulder hit my face.  It takes a significant force to fracture those bones.  My instinct would say that you'd have to really throw the mic hard and would have to make a direct hit to possibly cause these injuries claimed.

14 hours ago, twistoflemon21 said:

He usually underarms it pretty lightly. With all the hands in the air trying to grab it, I'm surprised people get a face full of mic. I remember Rock In Rio 2011 when he absolutely hurled it into the crowd.

Yeah, I saw Slash fucking chucking a water bottle that was way more dangerous in Rome :lol:

19 hours ago, twistoflemon21 said:

He usually underarms it pretty lightly. With all the hands in the air trying to grab it, I'm surprised people get a face full of mic. I remember Rock In Rio 2011 when he absolutely hurled it into the crowd.

In the 90s he threw it like an 80 MPH fastball.

• Like 1