Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Awesome to see he's bringing the openers out for more songs!

The live stream is tomorrow's show right? Really stoked for a high quality recording from this tour... much like with SMKC's 4, the 'live album' could be even better than the studio album. :headbang:

Would be nice to get a stream of the whole evening instead of just Slash’s gig but I’m so happy there’s a stream at all. Even the low quality recordings are great, can’t wait watching it in HD. Hopefully it results in a blu ray. He has to release the whole thing and make it available for everyone who’s interested.

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I thought the opposite... Axl's not handing anything over, so let GNR be what it is: a nostalgia band that tours for a few months every year or two. I'm really hoping this Blues Ball band becomes a priority for at least the next couple years and he takes the festival to Europe, SA, etc.

They've shown just from the tour that they could record another killer album of covers any time they want... let this thing ride with a new album/tour for the next few summers! :headbang:

Slash stated in an interview that next time he wants it to be original material.. I am 100% fine with that.. A couple covers sprinkled in would be cool. 

• Like 1

Looks like all the openers came out to Jam for the last song the other night. I am guessing that was the last show with those openers. That was one hell of a line up.. I have tried listening to the 3 openers for the Boston show and all their studio stuff kind of blows to be honest.. Hopefully they will be better live. I saw a couple live Keb Mo clips which were good but his studio stuff not so much.. I hear a lot of pop..  Especially from ZZ Ward. At the end of the day I am there to see Slash but Samantha Fish, Warren Haynes and Eric Gales were all great. I would have watched all of their sets. Christone Kingfish is pretty good too but he won't be at the Boston show either..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Looks like all the openers came out to Jam for the last song the other night. I am guessing that was the last show with those openers. That was one hell of a line up.. I have tried listening to the 3 openers for the Boston show and all their studio stuff kind of blows to be honest.. Hopefully they will be better live. I saw a couple live Keb Mo clips which were good but his studio stuff not so much.. I hear a lot of pop..  Especially from ZZ Ward. At the end of the day I am there to see Slash but Samantha Fish, Warren Haynes and Eric Gales were all great. I would have watched all of their sets. Christone Kingfish is pretty good too but he won't be at the Boston show either..  

Samantha Fish has at least one more show opening for Slash Tonight, she also opened in Salt Lake City last night for him & Slash went out to play "I put a spell on You" with her & it wouldn't suprise me if she joins Slash on stage tonight. As for Warren Haynes and Eric Gales that was there last time opening for Slash

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

Samantha Fish has at least one more show opening for Slash Tonight, she also opened in Salt Lake City last night for him & Slash went out to play "I put a spell on You" with her & it wouldn't suprise me if she joins Slash on stage tonight. As for Warren Haynes and Eric Gales that was there last time opening for Slash

That would be cool.. Tonight's show is the livestream right? They did a bad ass 12 minute jam together last week during here set. That would be cool to get a pro shot of something similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

That would be cool.. Tonight's show is the livestream right? They did a bad ass 12 minute jam together last week during here set. That would be cool to get a pro shot of something similar. 

Yeah I hope they’ll stream the after show jam as well. If there’s any.

Edited by Free Bird

1 hour ago, apeekevo said:

Here is most of what slash had  - and was selling the Vinyl and CD for OOTD (there was also a couple ball caps as well not pictured) :

https://imgur.com/a/syQXi2a

They also had a poster/litho of the design on the far right, with the skull in the top hat. I didn't get one, but for those interested, they were only $20.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They also had a poster/litho of the design on the far right, with the skull in the top hat. I didn't get one, but for those interested, they were only $20.

Oh FFS - I 100% would have bought that…didnt see it. Anyone got a picture of it? 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:37 PM, NelvinHigby said:

went to the lincoln show on Friday. Whole show was phenomenal & fun. The Venue at Thunder Valley has a really great new sound system. No dull moments at all. I don't really understand all the hate about Teddy, he sounded great to me. Reminded me of Howlin' Wolf or Captain Beefheart, obviously not as brilliant as them. Definitely did not ruin a single moment. Also, fun surprise of Les Stroud from Survivorman joining on harmonica for 2 or 3 songs. I wouldn't miss a show if it's close & affordable for ya.

How was the show structured? I'm going Friday but it has a 6pm start time. Was there a traditional opening act and what time did Slash go on stage? I'm going straight there after work. 

3 minutes ago, apeekevo said:

I feel certain anyone would have a blast if you like Slash and/or Blues music - they play full songs during most of the check, not just a bunch of fiddling around with equipment and levels….My wife said it best….’you didnt get a sound check, you got a 45 minute private show with your favorite guitarist playing blues  as you have wanted for decades for you and about 30 other people just a just few feet away.’ 

I have seen Slash with GnR live a handful of times in arenas and stadiums with thousands of people  - and as a massive guitar nut because of Slash, this show blew me away  - this was a completely different and intimate experience. How many concerts has Slash done where you get to be outside on a summer night with only about 2,000 people to see Slash play music by:

Hendrix / Howlin Wolf / Freddie King / Fleetwood Mac / Albert King / T-Bone Walker / Robert Johnson / Bob Dylan / Muddy Watters - for me, just absolutely amazing.
 Slash was the biggest musical influence in my life beginning when I heard AFD on the school bus from my friends new fancy Walkman, and GnR music has been a massive influence on me for decades. The 2016 shows as a life long fan were amazing - and more than filled the void.
All this to say, this was probably the best experience I have had at a concert given what i spent my life listening to (although 18yo me that saw GnR in ‘92 may want to have a word to kick my ass). If you are a Slash and/or blues fan, and been waiting for him to do something different from MK&C, this show is for you. 

To be clear, it’s not all because of Slash that this show killed…every one of them on stage look to be absolutely loving it, in particular watching Johnny* and Michael was amazing….Johnny was just giving it everything, and looked to be loving every second he was playing - and Michael - man, there were times he looked to be in a trance and was just playing like he was possessed at the crossroads! -  every piece was in place and made the evening that much better to see an amazing band love what they are doing. 

*I was REALLY hoping Duff was going to make an appearance on stage - and was excited to see him there because for the possibility. I cant think of a better compliment I can give Johnny than thinking as a life long fan of GnR that after a couple songs, I didn't want to see Duff if it meant 1 less song with Johnny on bass….he was on fire and a joy to watch. 

I live in BC and sadly skipped the Stones BC concert due to price after travel/hotel/expensive tickets as I do not have unlimited money - I took advantage of some vacation time and a great flight sale so I can cross the country to them again in Toronto and will be front row.  I turned 50 a couple months ago and I know what I like - a summer night outdoors with a couple thousand ppl (instead of stadiums) with space to easily move around and places to sit and watch my guitar hero playing the  Blues 10 feet away without paying $1000? - yes please  
Sorry for the lengthy post,  but thought a couple of you guys with similar tastes might be on the fence and hope this convinces you to go! I have been on this forum through all the lean years, and although posting is just not my jam, if one of you regulars who gave concert updates pre-phones gets any joy out of this - thank you  

For those especially that love the blues as a massive GnR/Slash fan - g and enjoy it if you can, this is special! Enjoy the show tonight for those that will be watching

Great post, I completely agree. I'm also from BC (Victoria area). Honestly the only reason I was able to see the Stones was because I got Lucky Dip tickets ($50 total, after fees and tax) and caught the ferry back to Nanaimo around midnight, so no hotel costs. It was a great show... but the Serpent festival in a park was more fun.

I've been saying for years that the most interesting thing Slash could do at this stage of his career is a blues album - and it absolutely lived up to what I imagined it could be. The whole band is absolutely stellar, but Slash was 100% right when he introduced Michael... he's one of the best drummers Slash has ever played with. No disrespect to Brent Fitz, but Michael is able to drive the band and Slash in a way that I haven't really heard since Steven. Maybe it's just because I also play drums, but at times Michael was just as captivating as Slash, just a powerhouse behind the kit.

Whether it's more covers, or original songs, I hope we get a few more albums and tours from this band.

Have fun at the Toronto show!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I either got used to Teddy over the weeks or he doesn’t sound as bad live in hd. It’s probably both. 

Ughhh. I watched Stormy Monday last night and Teddy damn near ruined it lol.. He looks and sounds like he should be in a Satire band in a bad Adam Sandler movie.. Luckily Slash was absolutely phenominal and saved the song because I almost shut it off.  I am banking on it not being as noticeable live and to just focus on the band when he is singing. I have even seen random people on youtube commentimg on how bad ass the band but they need a better singer...

So you watched the Live Strem Last night? Did it kick ass?

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Ughhh. I watched Stormy Monday last night and Teddy damn near ruined it lol.. He looks and sounds like he should be in a Satire band in a bad Adam Sandler movie.. Luckily Slash was absolutely phenominal and saved the song because I almost shut it off.  I am banking on it not being as noticeable live and to just focus on the band when he is singing. I have even seen random people on youtube commentimg on how bad ass the band but they need a better singer...

So you watched the Live Strem Last night? Did it kick ass?

I just watched 2 or 3 songs in the morning. Now I’m watching it for the second time in full. Teddy is Teddy, but the show is so great, he doesn’t ruin it. Of course they could have let Tash sing the whole thing. I’m convinced he could handle it pretty well. He isn’t perfect either but capable on vocals. 

However, Slash’s Blue Ball, how they were officially introduced (and later as Blues Ball by Slash himself), is a phenomenal rhythm machine with Slash on top. Really the best thing he was involved in decades and that’s not a dig against his other bands and projects. That’s how I imagined a mature Slash.

Great record, great festival. A full success.

What fucked me up is they didn’t invite any special guest, assuming they streamed the whole show. No jams, no surprises. Probably because of publishing rights or something like that.

Edited by Free Bird

20 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Anybody watching the Veeps live stream?

I did, and that was not a great night for Slash unfortunately (a collection of false notes and bad solos…and again, this is coming from 30+ years die hard fan of Slash!), but the rest of the band is as always so tight and in the pocket (that drummer man!!!!!! Insanely good, can’t emphasize enough how good he is !!!)

Most the solos and impros were butchered in my opinion. (Reminded me the GnR recent tour LOL 😂)

Metal Chesnut was probably the only one he handled fine technically (and crossroad).

And sorry, but these Magnatone amps are still not doing it for me, so weak. Even when Tash is kicking in, his sound is much powerful.

Hopefully this will not be used as an official release (or there will be a lot of post production LOL ), and should strongly consider the Gibson Garage performance from the 335 release instead.

love the album, as I said, so cool to hear Slash in this set up again, and inspired solos on the album at least. Live, depending on the night, is another story !

Edited by freak6767
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, freak6767 said:

I did, and that was not a great night for Slash unfortunately (a collection of false notes and bad solos…and again, this is coming from 30+ years die hard fan of Slash!), but the rest of the band is as always so tight and in the pocket (that drummer man!!!!!! Insanely good, can’t emphasize enough how good he is !!!)

Most the solos and impros were butchered in my opinion. (Reminded me the GnR recent tour LOL 😂)

Metal Chesnut was probably the only one he handled fine technically (and crossroad).

And sorry, but these Magnatone amps are still not doing it for me, so weak. Even when Tash is kicking it, his sound is much powerful.

Hopefully this will not be used as an official release (or there will be a lot of post production LOL ), and should strongly consider the Gibson Garage performance instead from the 335 release. 

love the album, as I said, so cool to hear Slash in this set up again, and inspired solos on the album at least. Live, depending on the night, is another story !

Yeah he was a little bit sloppy at times but had also great solo sections in between. I had a lot of fun watching this show. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freak6767 said:

And sorry, but these Magnatone amps are still not doing it for me, so weak. Even when Tash is kicking in, his sound is much powerful.

Hopefully this will not be used as an official release (or there will be a lot of post production LOL ), and should strongly consider the Gibson Garage performance from the 335 release instead.

I'm watching the livestream right now and feel the same way too. It's just night and day when you go back and look at Slash's playing from 2016 and earlier. He still has it in the albums but his live playing (especially soloing) sounds a bit lifeless and he just seems lost at times with his improv. His shredding seems sloppier than ever before and I don't like his weak tone at all (which I hope is just due to poor mixing on the stream). 

I guess it was just a bad night for him and hope that he improves by the final show of the tour (that I'll be going to) as he gets more familiar with the material.

13 hours ago, 22frets said:

I'm watching the livestream right now and feel the same way too. It's just night and day when you go back and look at Slash's playing from 2016 and earlier. He still has it in the albums but his live playing (especially soloing) sounds a bit lifeless and he just seems lost at times with his improv. His shredding seems sloppier than ever before and I don't like his weak tone at all (which I hope is just due to poor mixing on the stream). 

I guess it was just a bad night for him and hope that he improves by the final show of the tour (that I'll be going to) as he gets more familiar with the material.

I take passion over perfection when it comes to a rnr show. To me the lack of jams and special guests were much worse tbh. But of course, Slash in top form is always an improvement. He played better on previous shows. Not faultless but better. I personally prefer the high definition recording and don’t mind a few mistakes here and there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I take passion over perfection when it comes to a rnr show. To me the lack of jams and special guests were much worse tbh. But of course, Slash in top form is always an improvement. He played better on previous shows. Not faultless but better. I personally prefer the high definition recording and don’t mind a few mistakes here and there.

Yeah, the previous shows were a lot better. I hope that we get a better proshot release of another show of this tour later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 22frets said:

Yeah, the previous shows were a lot better. I hope that we get a better proshot release of another show of this tour later.

That’s what I’m hoping, too. A blu ray release with a lot of bonus material is mandatory if you wanna do these shows justice.