Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

53 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Vivino was a nobrainer. And that ending solo by Randolph...

There are also some sick videos of Slash jamming with in a bar one night.  Working now so can't dig them up. 

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I kind of feel like this thing was one and done.. 

It was fun and I am glad he did it but it could have been much better.. Before I spit out the negatives I will say that I realize this was just a fun little project and it was kind of thrown together but still....

It has been said a million times about the singers but Slash had the worst two singers onstage the whole tour.. Teddy is cringe.. Tash is much better but nothing to write home about to be honest.. Still a much better option than Teddy.. That said, they are both great at their respective instruments..

The name of the tour was awful and I hate to think that any of my money went to any cause of Colin Kapernick.  

The album was really good with a few great songs even but still forgettable.. That is partly a me problem though.. I find it hard to really grasp onto an album with all different singers.. I never reach out for his first solo album for the same reason and when you have that many singers, they aren't all going to resonate with everyone.  Having some originals would have also helped.  It also wasn't even really a Blues album. If you looks at the tracks only 6 of the 12 were actually blues songs. I know Slash always said it was only "Blues Oriented" but the tour was labeled as a celebration of the Blues and he surrounded himself with trues blues artists.

Slash himself.. Slash is the man and one of my favorite guitarists but he really isn't a great Blues guitarist after all.. It kills me to say but his playing was outshined by most of the opening bands as far as blues playing goes. He didn't seem to try and adapt at all.. I hate when people refer to his "noodling".. I often like it and some of it would have been great but there was far too much of it for blues.  And I don't mean carrying on.. I can watch Slash rips for 30 minutes straight. His soloing just kind of didn't fit the songs and was too fast. This is blues.. I wish he would of concentrated more on phrasing and doing more with less notes.  Watching his solo with Kingfish the other day was one of the most glaring examples of how superior the other players were. That jam was posted on social media and 90% of the comments were not kind to Slash

I have always been in Slash's corner.. I hate when I see people online talking about how over rated he is and all that. I don't think he is at all.. But I was hoping this whole project would be phenomenal and full of  draw dropping performances to shut up the haters.. That really didn't happen. 

I gave up Metallica tickets for this and kind of regret it now. 

That stupid hat.... It really does look foolish at this point.. A cartoonish gimmick that could have taken a rest for this project.

For as fucking excited as I was about this, that was a pretty negative review of the whole thing. Believe me I was all in. I convinced 6 people to go to the show with me and skipped my Metallica show.

If he does do this again, I hope he puts out a true blues album with mostly originals.... Works on his blues chops.. Teams up with someone like that Jimmy Vivino guy.  Slash jammed with him in a bar one time and it was fantastic. I am actually surprised he wasn't on this record. 

I kind of agree with you. It started out pretty good, lots of press etc, but then became boring after a little while. I agree about the tour name, should've just done Slash's Blues Ball with special guests Warren Haynes, Samantha Fish, etc etc. I think that may have drawn more people too.

Hopefully SMKC5 will be more exciting and they'll make a really good record (and please no Dave Cobb). 

• Like 3

I get all of your points, too, though, I don’t think all of them would’ve affected my mood. Imo, everyone who had the chance to visit the Serpent festival can be lucky. I didn’t have the possibility and I really rather had. See it as a night of good music. I agree, many musicians outshined Slash on guitar but that speaks for the quality of the show. Especially Kingfish and Eric Gales were fantastic. I also agree that Tash should have sung the majority of the songs but still, imo this band killed it musically.

What I clearly disagree with is that this album is boring. It’s an ‘all killer, no filler’ record to me, no wonder, these songs were already classics and got touched by Slash. I’m not listening to it on a regular basis anymore, but still on different occasions and I really love the result. Best thing he’s done in decades probably.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So I take it slash is gonna work on SMKC5 now?

Let's hope he switches producers. 4 was not very good, and horribly mixed and mastered. OOTD sounds fantastic.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I get all of your points, too, though, I don’t think all of them would’ve affected my mood. Imo, everyone who had the chance to visit the Serpent festival can be lucky. I didn’t have the possibility and I really rather had. See it as a night of good music. I agree, many musicians outshined Slash on guitar but that speaks for the quality of the show. Especially Kingfish and Eric Gales were fantastic. I also agree that Tash should have sung the majority of the songs but still, imo this band killed it musically.

What I clearly disagree with is that this album is boring. It’s an ‘all killer, no filler’ record to me, no wonder, these songs were already classics and got touched by Slash. I’m not listening to it on a regular basis anymore, but still on different occasions and I really love the result. Best thing he’s done in decades probably.

I don't think anyone really said it was boring. My thoughts were that it was really good with some great songs.. A couple not so great songs.. I just find a cover album with all different singers forgettable.. Just wouldn't be something I would think of to put on. That is just my thing though.  Even the first solo album.. Some good stuff on there but I don't really think of it as an album.. These releases just aren't cohesive 

I'll still throw on my Orgy Vinyl someday... if anything to just hear the Pusher.. 

Slash has already said that if he does this again it would be originals, which is great!  I am sure he noticed the contrast between his playing and the others.. Maybe that will inspire him to make some adjustments.. Who knows. 

At the end of the day, Orgy was still better than the last few SMKC albums and the "GnR" singles they have been putting out. For me anyway.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Just saw this on Instagram

Great news!

IMG_0716.jpeg

Great news ! I really wasn't fond of their cover of Stormy Monday but Mother Maria was a highlight of Slash 2010.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EvH said:

Great news ! I really wasn't fond of their cover of Stormy Monday but Mother Maria was a highlight of Slash 2010.

Never understood why Mother Maria didn’t make the album, but I have to say Stormy Monday is still one of my favourites of the new record. However, song descriptions like this raise expectations and the result often disappoints. In this case I’m still excited.

Hell, next month the Axl song and then this one :headbang:

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 3:43 AM, EvH said:

Let's hope he switches producers. 4 was not very good, and horribly mixed and mastered. OOTD sounds fantastic.

Yeah it would be great if he asks Mike Clink to do SMKC 5, or maybe goes back to Elvis. Dave Cobb is a bad choice though.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2024 at 5:46 AM, Free Bird said:

All killer no filler is a generous compliment. I think the album is pretty decent though, but there are definitely some tracks that I'm not in a rush to hear again. In terms of Slash releases this is my favourite since WOF, better playing, better production and obviously the songs are better.

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah it would be great if he asks Mike Clink to do SMKC 5, or maybe goes back to Elvis. Dave Cobb is a bad choice though.

Agreed. Whoever he picks needs to be a bit more interested in great songs and getting a great sound, rather than appeasing Slash and getting the record done in 3 weeks or however long the last one took

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

All killer no filler is a generous compliment. I think the album is pretty decent though, but there are definitely some tracks that I'm not in a rush to hear again. In terms of Slash releases this is my favourite since WOF, better playing, better production and obviously the songs are better.

Agreed. Whoever he picks needs to be a bit more interested in great songs and getting a great sound, rather than appeasing Slash and getting the record done in 3 weeks or however long the last one took

It’s obviously just my opinion.

38 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think this reply is used too often😄 but ok. I'm not saying you're wrong, but also you're wrong😉 ...in my opinion

So you think other people are disagreeing with you to often? I don’t really care tbh. I’m not saying you have to agree.

I don’t think this was ever supposed to be a really serious project. It’s ultimately a 3rd project. I think he did it for fun more than anything else. With that in mind, I think it’s a cool album.

As for the tour, with his step daughter killing herself, I’m guessing he’s just going through the motions right now and wants to get the tour done. 

Id love to see Guns do a fair well tour soon enough so Slash can really focus on a few more albums. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

So you think other people are disagreeing with you to often? I don’t really care tbh. I’m not saying you have to agree.

I wasn't saying you had to agree with me either🤷‍♂️ my comment was pretty tongue in cheek

Not really anything new in this video, but it's cool to see. Once again, he talks about doing another album, around 10:20

"There's some songs that we're doing live right now, and some other songs that we didn't do on the record, that are forcing me to think that I'll probably have to do another one of these at some point."

• Like 1

(i assume this is the correct thread?)

Orgy of the Damned on CD and (double) Vinyl arrived a couple of days ago.

For the moment, the stand out track is: 'Stormy Monday' :)

'Metal Chesnut' is EXCELLENT! :)

I found the opening track 'The Pusher' not to my liking, as Blind Melon released 'The Pusher' that sounds so much better.

'Crossroads' is what i sense as a safe cover to perform.

For the moment, i have the CD in the car, and will no doubt discover more!

I picked up the Vinyl for the great art-work! ..i'm such a sucker for physical media ^_^ ..old skool til the end! ^_^ 

Edited by star
  • Like 3