Where do we go now?

I really don't want to wear "goggles" to see some kind of "content floating around the band", whatever that "content" may be, when visiting a concert.

If that's the future of big scale concerts, then I'm out of it. 

I'm pretty anxious to see what kind of screen projections Pearl Jam incorporated into their live setting this tour, hopefully it's not too far out there. So far, it's been pretty amazing to watch them perform their songs and not having to endure the all out arty farty route to make their concerts worthwhile, that other bands go down.

• Like 2

Poor Slash!

The guy just wants his analogue equipment and record albums close to live. 

It must kill him to have a keyboard player using samples etc to thicken his guitar. Questions about digital guitar setups and AI etc. 

1 hour ago, Spoon87 said:

I really don't want to wear "goggles" to see some kind of "content floating around the band", whatever that "content" may be, when visiting a concert.

If that's the future of big scale concerts, then I'm out of it. 

I'm pretty anxious to see what kind of screen projections Pearl Jam incorporated into their live setting this tour, hopefully it's not too far out there. So far, it's been pretty amazing to watch them perform their songs and not having to endure the all out arty farty route to make their concerts worthwhile, that other bands go down.

+1 

I just want to hear the band. If there must be a screen, I just want to see the band again n that screen.

Not a fan of big "shows" myself. Unfortunately, for me, Axl seems to have always been into the bigger spectacles, with the horn section, flying piano, clothes shift, etc. Maybe to shift the focus from himself a bit. I am more with Slash on this, let the music speak for itself and just use the screens to show the band performing so the entire audience gets a good view. 

Still, a silver lining to some of you: A residency or shows at the Sphere in Las Vegas would make a proper AFD reunion more likely. I'd give it a 50/50 chance of happening.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl seems to have always been into the bigger spectacles, with the horn section

I could be wrong, but I thought Axl said that all the additional musicians during the UYI tour were Slash's idea?

15 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

На данный момент я не хочу видеть воссоединение AFD.

Это было бы по совершенно неправильным причинам, и, скорее всего, это было бы отстойно. Слишком поздно.

It would be fresh and modern. And Slash would have a hard time fitting into that. If Axl and Izzy had joined their creative efforts, I think the lead guitar would have had little space.

• Confused 1

Seeing as Axl can't sing in a live setting anyways, this news means nothing to me. I haven't seen this debacle live in 8 years as it is.

If somehow Axl started to sound good again, I definitely wouldn't be paying for this rubbish.

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

This Sphere thing could really be their next move. Anything but new music.

It's hard to imagine that this will NOT suck though. :X

- the vocals can't be hidden

- the visuals will be bad

- GnR is a Rock 'n' Roll band

From the state of things, Axl could very well start to use AI to "improve" his vocals. I honestly think this would be better than having to wear fucking googles. 

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

Seeing as Axl can't sing in a live setting anyways, this news means nothing to me. I haven't seen this debacle live in 8 years as it is.

If somehow Axl started to sound good again, I definitely wouldn't be paying for this rubbish.

And yet live sounds much better than recordings.not perfect, but much better than what's floating around online...

2 hours ago, lunastar said:

It would be fresh and modern. And Slash would have a hard time fitting into that. If Axl and Izzy had joined their creative efforts, I think the lead guitar would have had little space.

What makes you believe it would sound modern when Izzy’s joining? I think he’s the opposite of modern, in a good way. And why shouldn’t be there no space for Slash? Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

And yet live sounds much better than recordings.not perfect, but much better than what's floating around online...

I've never believed that debate. Live better than live recordings. I've been to enough shows in my life that I can hear when someone sounds bad in person.

Axl doesn't sound good, imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I've never believed that debate. Live better than live recordings. I've been to enough shows in my life that I can hear when someone sounds bad in person.

Axl doesn't sound good, imo.

If you've not heard him live for over eight years, you can't possibly know for yourself for certain. Opinion and fact (or in this case, real world experience) are not the same thing.

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

If you've not heard him live for over eight years, you can't possibly know for yourself for certain. Opinion and fact (or in this case, real world experience) are not the same thing.

Everytime I have saw him he sounded different. Each time I recognized that. After hearing the professional recordings (2017-to 2023) I know well enough that his voice sounds like shit to my ears.

5 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Funny how the "youtube videos don't do him justice" argument only applies to videos where he sounds awful... :lol:

If he sounds good at a show, he'll sound good in a cell phone recording of that show. If he sounds bad, the video will sound bad. There's plenty of high-quality IEM and soundboard recordings from recent years, and he sounds like shit. His vocals don't magically sound worse on recordings, he flat out sounds bad.

I saw them last year - he sounded good on stuff like Wichita, Bad Obsession, etc. and sounded bad on Reckless, YCBM, etc. that's just the reality.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I don't wanna see a AFD reunion at this point.

It would be for all the wrong reasons and it would most likely suck. It's much too late.

I feel the same way. Steven's playing and stamina has noticeably gotten worse in the last few years; that would be the main complaint about it next to Axl's vocals. He's not able to play like he did at the 2016 shows anymore. Izzy, who knows. Overall doing an AFD reunion wouldn't sound anywhere near as good as it would've back in 2016 or 2017 (which is when they should've done it).

If they do these Sphere shows then maybe there would be a possibility that they would ask other guests to come, maybe Gilby and Matt. They would need to do something like that in order to sell a residency, just playing more or less the same set with a few rotating songs isn't enough.

• Like 1

If I were to make any wager at this point it would be OG GNR AFD 40th at Sphere. Spring 2027, 10-12 shows. Plus like +/-20 dates in Europe and Asia/Aus/ME hitting the major markets. 

Tickets would be stupid expensive. Jim Dolan has the money and he wouldn’t pass up a major destination event. Tour dates wouldn’t announce until all Sphere shows up.

Managers are getting a real time lesson in ticket sales with Dead and Co at present. Toooooo many shows with prices like that. U2 did ok because people will travel for them, Phish crushed it because their fan base is rabid and it was only 4 shows. With OG GNR AFD 40th at 10-12 shows, that’s a month residency. Hits every check mark.

• Like 1

Axl seems to sing better in hot humid climates , these days.

The climate of Vegas is dry, not humid, which is horrible for his voice.

They should set up a residency in Houston...lol.

There's a reason he kills it in that city

• Haha 1

I'm still of the view that the whole AFD thing is past now. 

If they happen these shows will be the same lineup we have now, similar setlist, with the only 'draw' being some nonsense like a 'fully immersive show' or 'all new F'N production'. Something like that, which will end up being some new graphics on the screen. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm still of the view that the whole AFD thing is past now. 

If they happen these shows will be the same lineup we have now, similar setlist, with the only 'draw' being some nonsense like a 'fully immersive show' or 'all new F'N production'. Something like that, which will end up being some new graphics on the screen. 

+ Steven on a couple of songs (and this time he'll get to talk with Axl for 10 minutes). 

14 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I don't wanna see a AFD reunion at this point.

It would be for all the wrong reasons and it would most likely suck. It's much too late.

An AFD reunion would be for money and to please fans. And those reasons have not changed over the last 20 years or so. So if you feel those are "wrong reasons" today, they would have been wrong reasons back in the early 2000s, too. 

I have never been interested in an AFD reunion myself. I'd pay lots of money to travel back in time and see them in 1987 or 1988, but those days are gone and anyone who thinks an AFD lineup today would be the same, feel the same, or sound the same, are fooling themselves. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

An AFD reunion would be for money and to please fans. And those reasons have not changed over the last 20 years or so. So if you feel those are "wrong reasons" today, they would have been wrong reasons back in the early 2000s, too. 

I have never been interested in an AFD reunion myself. I'd pay lots of money to travel back in time and see them in 1987 or 1988, but those days are gone and anyone who thinks an AFD lineup today would be the same, feel the same, or sound the same, are fooling themselves. 

To me there’s a little hope left that a reunited GNR could still create great music. So I‘m more interested in this than in an AFD live set.