Guns N' Roses to return to the road in 2025

51 minutes ago, vloors said:

He very well could have dropped a solo like Duff and Slash did when they were still in GnR in the 90s.

That fact is conveniently lost in this conversation.

Axl dropping his solo may have also kept the 90s line up together.

One musical direction for Axl solo album another group agreed direction for gnr.

Exactly this. The label would have been more than happy to promote an Axl solo release even if it was just more lion roars and whatever other fart sounds he was into at the time, if it meant that Guns would have stayed together and done what should have been their next album in the 90s. 

1 hour ago, gunsnchalupas said:

He would not have gotten the support from the label. 

Look at the early costs of the CD sessions and how he was able to pay a band of reasonably high-profile musicians to jam and write random pieces that he later could pull parts from. 

Not to mention if the album came out in the late 90s or early 2000s, the level of promotion granted to something tied to the GNR name would dwarf an Axl solo album. Even if you go to when the album was released and the sessions were bailed out by Best Buy and other business-to-business transactions like Dr.Pepper, odds are those aren't available with Axl as a solo artist. Also factor in money raised touring and how the GNR name itself was a big enough draw to keep them in hockey arenas, vs Axl solo who likely ends up doing smaller buildings.

Both come with their pros and cons because he clearly had a difficult time releasing the album due to some GNR related factors in his control and some out of his control that he may not have had to deal with as a solo artist, but I can't imagine going solo would have lent him more musical freedom given the resources that seemed to be available to him because of the value of the GNR name to record companies. 

I hear you, but that wasn’t my point. CD sessions with a cover band may not have happened if Axl had gotten the industrial shit out of his system via a solo release in the 90s 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, vloors said:

He very well could have dropped a solo like Duff and Slash did when they were still in GnR in the 90s.

That fact is conveniently lost in this conversation.

Axl dropping his solo may have also kept the 90s line up together.

One musical direction for Axl solo album another group agreed direction for gnr.

That's true for the first half of the '90s. He could have done it with support from the label - and he actually considered doing exactly that (a solo project), but then he changed his mind for unknown reasons. If I were to guess, the reason was that he was afraid of failing and being slammed because of the negative press (and the negativity in general) that surrounded GN'R and mostly him personally at the time (the Erin and Stephanie lawsuits, the whole "alternative" wave, etc.).

In the late '90s, however, the circumstances were different. On one hand, things in the press and the general public were more favorable for an Axl solo album. But on the other hand, the situation with the label had changed. Geffen had been absorbed by Interscope and it was not the same label anymore. Slash and Duff were dropped as solo artists by Interscope and most likely the same would have happened with Axl - especially if he had failed to meet the first deadline. Moreover, Axl was probably still afraid of doing something under his own name for the same reasons.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

and he actually considered doing exactly that (a solo project)

Wasn't it one of the Rockline interviews where he said something like 'I'm working on a top secret project right now' or something like that? Think it was the same one where he mentioned wanting to work with Brian May for the first time, it was 1994 i think

7:11

Edited by Rindmelon
found it
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Wasn't it one of the Rockline interviews where he said something like 'I'm working on a top secret project right now' or something like that? Think it was the same one where he mentioned wanting to work with Brian May for the first time, it may have been 93. 

Yes, it was in the Rockline interview in early January 1994 where he mentioned a "top secret" (solo) project he was "trying to put together". But the Brian May mention elsewhere in that interview was about GN'R as a band, not Axl's project (my guess is it was about the Highlander III soundtrack that never materialized):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t618-1994-01-03-rockline-interview-with-axl-and-slash

Axl had also talked about wanting to do a solo project with Trent Reznor and Dave Navarro in a late 1992 interview, and a conversation he had with Trent Reznor about that:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1660-1993-06-dd-hit-parader-interview-with-axl

Axl and Reznor had talked around 1990-91 before NIN opened for GN'R. And it seems that there was a later conversation that took place around the time of the Rockline interview (before the NIN Downward Spiral tour started, so likely late 1993-early 1994), but Reznor said he didn't hear from Axl again after that: 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5535-1995-05-27-kerrang-axl-rose-trent-reznor-to-work-together

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, it was in the Rockline interview in early January 1994 where he mentioned a "top secret" (solo) project he was "trying to put together". But the Brian May mention elsewhere in that interview was about GN'R as a band, not Axl's project (my guess is it was about the Highlander III soundtrack that never materialized):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t618-1994-01-03-rockline-interview-with-axl-and-slash

Axl had also talked about wanting to do a solo project with Trent Reznor, Dave Navarro and Dave Grohl in a late 1992 interview, and a conversation he had with Trent Reznor about that. And it seems that that conversation took place around that time (before the NIN Downward Spiral tour started, so likely late 1993-early 1994), but Reznor said he didn't hear from Axl again after that: 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1660-1993-06-dd-hit-parader-interview-with-axl

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5535-1995-05-27-kerrang-axl-rose-trent-reznor-to-work-together

(Axl and Trent Reznor had also talked earlier, around 1990-1991 before NIN opened for GN'R).

I'm listening through that 94 interview, Axl gets asked about a documentary and mentions they had been filming stuff for years, which obviously we know but I had forgotten he also mentioned they wanted to do a soundtrack for the documentary. So there was at least an idea at some point to do a soundtrack for Perfect Crime.

• Like 4

While we at times shit Axl, Axl has been named "The of all time greatest leader singer" in new poll Music Radar poll was voted for by their readers, Axl  came out top of 30 singers ahead F Mercury And R Plant.

1 Axl Rose

2 F Mercury

3 R Plant

4 Dio

5 John Lennon

6 Bruce Dickinson

7 Tom Jorke

8 Kurt Cobain

9 Matt Bellamy

10 Paul Mc Cartney

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ratam said:

While we at times shit Axl, Axl has been named "The of all time greatest leader singer" in new poll Music Radar poll was voted for by their readers, Axl  came out top of 30 singers ahead F Mercury And R Plant.

1 Axl Rose

2 F Mercury

3 R Plant

4 Dio

5 John Lennon

6 Bruce Dickinson

7 Tom Jorke

8 Kurt Cobain

9 Matt Bellamy

10 Paul Mc Cartney

The poll is originally from 2010 though

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-30-greatest-lead-singers-of-all-time-315448

Axl thanked the Music Radar readers for voting for him, and Slash commented on the poll:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6553-30-march-december-2010-touring-europe-and-reuniting-with-duff#25502

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-30-greatest-lead-singers-of-all-time-315448

Axl thanked the Music Radar readers for voting for him, and Slash commented on the poll:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6553-30-march-december-2010-touring-europe-and-reuniting-with-duff#25502

Yeah I remember we were all on chidem.com and CDF.com at the top and we all coordinated to vote Axl up as much as possible and vote Freddie down as much as possible, so Axl didn’t really deserve to win, but whatever.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

19 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I remember we were all on chidem.com and CDF.com at the top and we all coordinated to vote Axl up as much as possible and vote Freddie down as much as possible, so Axl didn’t really deserve to win, but whatever.

Oh, I imagined something like that happened, because as great as Axl was, he was not that popular in 2010.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It appear in my Google yesterday, like some new 😯

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Oh, I imagined something like that happened, because as great as Axl wkas, he was not that popular in 2010.

Disclaimer: it not a appear in the own Music Radar site. It appearead in another sites.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Doesn’t he already use backing tracks? Does this person mean that Axl is gonna lip sync entirely going forward?

yes, I think he means a backing track to replace the real vocals must be incoming cause he thinks it's not good enough. I wouldn't read too much into it. sounds like a one person's opinion just stated as fact.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No.

I remember other stuff from it being posted a few years ago. It was all bs.

I guess him try to be ironic about Axl voice, but failed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

What is this site? Is this any sort of credible?

it's a celebrity gossip site ran by some entertainment attorney who posts the gossip he hears as 'blind items'. Their track record is pretty poor. I'd say maybe 30% of his posts turn out to be true and the other 70% are false.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DanteStraviosky said:

"The voice of this permanent A list singer from a permanent A list band has always sounded atrocious live. It has just got the point he can't even make any decent kind of effort. Backing track is coming."

Sounds like it's actually Bon Jovi.

That's who I was thinking of too.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:28 PM, DanteStraviosky said:

"The voice of this permanent A list singer from a permanent A list band has always sounded atrocious live. It has just got the point he can't even make any decent kind of effort. Backing track is coming."

Sounds like it's actually Bon Jovi.

Or Aerosmith.

If Axl really does end up going full lip-sync mode, like Kiss, then I will never see him live again.

Edited by rocknroll41