Guns N' Roses to return to the road in 2025

5 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

Half of Axl’s issues would be solved if he stopped running about from the get go gassing himself out. Long may the touring continue! 

But then people would just complain about the lack of movement instead

• Like 3

On 8/11/2024 at 2:17 AM, Majestic Beast said:

He saved AC/DC but damaged his voice with AC/DC touring,that's a big truth we have to realise.

Not true. He had plenty of great shows 2017+ but as time went on he lost more and more consistancy and his vocal range.

I feel just prior to 2016 he trained his ass off for gnr and acdc then he started dialing it in with less preparation as the years went on. 

I am sure if he bit the bullet and got some work done on his cords, another fulltime vocal coach, be open to feedback and relearning the songs he could come back stronger than the last couple of years.

On 8/11/2024 at 3:57 PM, Dean said:

2017 had a lot of great shows as did 2018. I had the misfortune of being front and centre in Berlin, but I also caught them near the end of the run in Gothenburg and the difference was night and day. I know the AC/DC run is usually the go to for reasoning Axl's currant live vocal chops, but I never bought it. He seems to take a lot of pride in his vocal chops and we've heard numerous times over the last 13/14 years how extensive his warm up and warm downs are. As long as Axl feels he's doing a great job and the crowd's are flocking in, I don't think we'll see any change - though the setlist shuffle last year breathed new life into the band and a lot of those songs that were brought back are far too good to not be played live - and also not as taxing vocally I'd imagine.

What was 2017's best show, you think? I was at both London shows and they were fun....

47 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

What was 2017's best show, you think? I was at both London shows and they were fun....

I was at Slane, London, Gdańsk, Prague and Paris. There was something electric about Gdańsk. The crowd was fucking nuts and the band fed off of it. They won me over with this incarnation’s rendition of KOHD that night. Axl was on top of his game and even over singing throughout that song. That would be a highlight for me. Paris was great too. Probably not as strong vocally as Gdańsk and Prague, but energy was superb. Had a brief interaction with uncle Ax too.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

'Stronger than the last couple years' is still a relatively low bar.

I don't know how anyone can deny AC/DC significantly damaged his voice. People will say he sounded weak in 2011-14, he's had comebacks before, etc. and it's clearly not the same issue. He could still pull off 'classic' vocals when he wanted to, but a lot of those years were spent on autopilot... that's why he sounded as good as he did with AC/DC.

But the damage started even before that tour ended... he started consistently cracking his voice on the highest notes (Hell's Bells, For Those About To Rock) and there was a very clear deterioration afterwards. Would his voice have deteriorated with the years of NITL touring anyway? Probably. But AC/DC used up most of what was left in the tank, he simply can't 'flip the switch' anymore - his highs are shot and his rasp is unhealthy and unpleasant.

You are saying this but ignored the fact I said he had plenty of good shows with guns n roses end 2016 and 2017 onwards.

He did not just completely turn to shit after acdc finished.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I was at Slane, London, Gdańsk, Prague and Paris. There was something electric about Gdańsk. The crowd was fucking nuts and the band fed off of it. They won me over with this incarnation’s rendition of KOHD that night. Axl was on top of his game and even over singing throughout that song. That would be a highlight for me. Paris was great too. Probably not as strong vocally as Gdańsk and Prague, but energy was superb. Had a brief interaction with uncle Ax too.

Shoe in gdanska was great. i agree with everything you said.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, siraddam said:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-tour

An interesting article about the UYI tour. I never knew it was Slash's idea to have the 12 piece band. 

Funny, I always assumed what Duff says here in terms of the ‘band’ and ‘entourage’ getting bigger, I thought it was a dig at Axl demanding having the extra musicians on the tour. Maybe during this time they were sliding that idea on to Axl for whatever reason :shrugs:

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 5:57 AM, SoulMonster said:

Some tangential comments on Izzy and his income from GN'R:

Before the partnership agreement of 1992, the band had another partnership where Izzy was included. We don't have a copy of this agreement, but it is reasonable to assume it had provisions for how to split income between the four partners (five when Steven was still in the band). Izzy left this partnership when he quit the band on September 9, 1991. The 1992 agreement was backdated to September 10, 1991, making it legally valid from the day after Izzy left. Does this mean that Izzy didn't get any income from GN'R when he quit? No, the 1992 agreement stipulates that revenues from "old records" would be split equally between all AFD lineup members, Izzy included. "Old records" did not include Use Your Illusion. So there was no provision in the 1992 agreement that provided Izzy with revenues from Use Your Illusions. It sounds strange that Izzy would not earn money considering his sizable contributions to those records..and why would he accept this? Well, he didn't. After leaving the band negotiations started with the goal of agreeing on how much he should earn from the Illusions, and these negotiations, or dispute, didn't conclude until April 1994 when an agreement was made. When the 1992 agreement was written, it was still unclear what the outcome of the negotiations would be, and thus the 1992 agreement doesn't contain any provisions for Izzy's income from the Illusions. We don't have a copy of the April 1994 agreement, either, but in 1998 Izzy himself stated that the deal meant he would get a "certain percent on everything the group earned until 1997". Basically, he settled with the band and agreed to leave all his previous rights as a partner for a certain time-limited income. Taken literally, it means that Izzy has absolutely no income anymore from GN'R, and hasn't had for more than 25 years. Considering the massive popularity of GN'R still, and sales of especially Appetite, it is quite likely that Izzy now feels the 1994 agreement did not serve him well in the long run (assuming it actually means that all his income from GN'R ended in 1997), and that when he considered returning to the band for the 2016 tour he might have tried to compensate for this by demanding more money than the partnership was willing to give.

Maybe a stupid question, but where does Izzy get the money  for the last 30 years? do royalties generate that much revenue?

5 hours ago, vloors said:

You are saying this but ignored the fact I said he had plenty of good shows with guns n roses end 2016 and 2017 onwards.

I said the same thing a few pages back...unless the argument is delayed decline? Or just that the extra load as well as going harder on the rasp during the other days of the reunion, was ta side project too much! I reckon all it did was take away maybe 2016-18/19 being the best years instead of just 16/17. So all it probably did it give us less of a run....

12 minutes ago, Politania said:

Maybe a stupid question, but where does Izzy get the money  for the last 30 years? do royalties generate that much revenue?

Depends on your life style...didn't he sell up and live out of his RV for years? 

Either way...Appetite and the rest probably gives him like 50k-100k a year. Not just songs, licensing, etc

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Depends on your life style...didn't he sell up and live out of his RV for years? 

Either way...Appetite and the rest probably gives him like 50k-100k a year. Not just songs, licensing, etc

Such annual income, let's assume  100k a year, is good money?  How does it look like from the perspective of an averige American's life? I live in Europe ;)

5 hours ago, vloors said:

Obviously that's not what I said. SA 2016 was noticeably weaker, early 2017 was very rough, the rest of 2017 was hit-or-miss but still nowhere near 2016... and it continued to decline from there. There was a very obvious deterioration on the tours following the AC/DC run.

6 minutes ago, Politania said:

Such annual income, let's assume  100k a year, is good money?  How does it look like from the perspective of an averige American's life? I live in Europe ;)

Apparently Izzý has income about avocado busines too, at least i read it many times.

33 minutes ago, Politania said:

Tal vez sea una pregunta estúpida, pero ¿de dónde saca Izzy el dinero de los últimos 30 años? ¿Las regalías generan tantos ingresos?

Yes, they make money. Izzy will probably not have problems for the rest of her life, unless he commits very bad business and has her accounts garnished. It doesn't seem to be his case, he looks good.

Edited by RodrigoNH
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Obviously that's not what I said. SA 2016 was noticeably weaker, early 2017 was very rough, the rest of 2017 was hit-or-miss but still nowhere near 2016... and it continued to decline from there. There was a very obvious deterioration on the tours following the AC/DC run.

You have to also remember....the tour post AC/DC were when he started moving again...that initial period was in a chair or with boot and very little movement which absolutely aided his vocals and stamina to do them! Take away initial excitement and hype at doing this again with Slash and Duff and it's understandable those of us who study every facet, would notice the drop offs more....

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

You have to also remember....the tour post AC/DC were when he started moving again...that initial period was in a chair or with boot and very little movement which absolutely aided his vocals and stamina to do them! Take away initial excitement and hype at doing this again with Slash and Duff and it's understandable those of us who study every facet, would notice the drop offs more....

What? They did the whole NA 2016 run before Axl went back to AC/DC, he'd been able to run around for months before the ROB tour ended...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, siraddam said:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-tour

An interesting article about the UYI tour. I never knew it was Slash's idea to have the 12 piece band. 

Yeah, it's an old article. It wasn't really Slash's idea to have additional musicians on stage but he was the one who put the "big band" together. Axl wanted it so Slash found Teddy, the singers and the horn players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

'Stronger than the last couple years' is still a relatively low bar.

I don't know how anyone can deny AC/DC significantly damaged his voice. People will say he sounded weak in 2011-14, he's had comebacks before, etc. and it's clearly not the same issue. He could still pull off 'classic' vocals when he wanted to, but a lot of those years were spent on autopilot... that's why he sounded as good as he did with AC/DC.

But the damage started even before that tour ended... he started consistently cracking his voice on the highest notes (Hell's Bells, For Those About To Rock) and there was a very clear deterioration afterwards. Would his voice have deteriorated with the years of NITL touring anyway? Probably. But AC/DC used up most of what was left in the tank, he simply can't 'flip the switch' anymore - his highs are shot and his rasp is unhealthy and unpleasant.

To be honest he performed there was a time quite well lately and showed a decent high notes with some rasp. 
I get what you’re saying tho, his voice is not pleasant when he hits those notes and he often struggles so much he goes out of times, as if he had to catch his breath. 
To be honest I think it’s a bit of an ego problem, if he started rearranging some songs and maybe playing shorter sets, he might be able to deliver a better performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Politania said:

Может быть, глупый вопрос, но откуда Иззи берет деньги последние 30 лет? Неужели роялти приносят такой большой доход?

Do you think he has already spent the $28 million he received in '92? He's making ends meet somehow, probably. It's like he bought a million dollar house in Colorado a few years ago...

2 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

To be honest he performed there was a time quite well lately and showed a decent high notes with some rasp. 
I get what you’re saying tho, his voice is not pleasant when he hits those notes and he often struggles so much he goes out of times, as if he had to catch his breath. 
To be honest I think it’s a bit of an ego problem, if he started rearranging some songs and maybe playing shorter sets, he might be able to deliver a better performance. 

There was one show where he nailed the scream on TWAT, another show where he pulled off Perhaps... he still has good moments. There's definitely some kind of ego problem though, or refusal to change anything. He'll often push too hard for the rasp and force himself out of time, or he'll have to drop the next line, etc.

• Like 2