Guns N' Roses to return to the road in 2025

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DTV88 said:

At the very least we would have songs that actually sound like Guns N’ Roses 

Of course there are characteristics in the GNR sound but the main problem remains even if Izzy would come back. Axl doesn’t write and record new vocals. And if he does, he doesn’t release them. Izzy’s new music would be locked away or released as a solo project. Everybody who doesn’t fool himself knows that it’s only Axl who’s responsible for the lack of (new) music.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think it's fair to assume it is 1 of the next 2 with monsters. Axl did want it on CD, it was the 15th track but had to be cut as BBF has said. It was then also listed on CD2. It was also one that Axl gave to Brian May so he obviously rated it. I love the May solo, the fact he was on it means slash would be fine to play on it. It's commercially easily accessible too in the way it sounds, so makes an obvious choice as a single. Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't others - there must be. However we did already know the general existed and we knew soul monster existed with vocals, so I'd disagree there's a good possibility there are other bucket/finck era songs with vocals that are ready to go. 

I think aside from hardskool which was woefully under promoted and poorly mixed (that should have been a massive radio hit for GnR) that Atlas and Monsters are the two best songs Axl had left in the locker after CD - which makes it even more baffling these two haven't come out. We will most likely get them in 2025 as 2 more staggered singles but why they're doing it this way, when they clearly had these tracks redone in 2019 is well, ridiculous. a 6 song ep in 2020 would have gone down so much better with a simple 'we've reworked these as what we love from the CD era, hope you like them and we'll now focus on new material' 

No promise of a new album, but just get those ones out, play them live throughout 21 and 22 touring and who knows maybe they would have got the new stuff done. Instead it just seems like they're holding on. Atlas was probably written in fucking 1997/98 and he's still clinging to it in 2024/25. insanity. 

Atlas was considered on CD1 with Brian May in the 1999/2000 era. Between that and 2008, we don't know what else was going on, but Axl chose to not include it on CD1. We already got 4/5 NITL tracks before Atlas. So I think it's safe to assume that the song wasn't high in priority so far. I don't see any reason on why that would change. Sure, it's one we know it have more vocals, but that's only the assumption from known dated information.

Also, we knew  Monsters existed with vocals, but we didn't know The General had it too. Remember, what we thought was The General was actually Monsters. We only had Sebastian Bach information regarding The General and that's debatable if he was actually referring to Monsters. We also know that Robin worked on a Steve Ray Vaughan-esque solo in another song that we don't know much about it or if it was actually one of the songs we got already. I remember back in 2006 Axl told that Richard was recording a track for a song that wouldn't come out in CD. Again, we just don't know. 

Sure Atlas could very well be released like you said. But as far as I know, the only evidence I got so far was that Monsters had the NITL treatment. Last year we had a very unreliable rumor of Atlas being the next single, but that was it. 

Personally, I don't care for it. I like Brian May's (and Robin's) solo, I like the tone changes and drums, but I don't like the chorus.

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Nope, most of the NuGuns songs sound like shit and they always have. You can lap at Axl’s nuts all day and it will never change the fact that NuGuns was a spectacular failure :jerkoff:

Axl’s voice changed with every progressive record released so again you’re full of shit 

I am not talking about whether you have liked the music but whether it really makes sense to refer to a "GN'R sound" considering the diversity of the music they have released.

What this has got to do with me "lap at Axl's nuts" is beyond me, I would love a return to Appetite style songs. But you do you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

The songs on CD sound like shit due to the “layers”. There are some really good songs in there if they were allowed to breathe. That was a production choice made by someone who shouldn’t be in charge of any future albums’s production decisions. Take Slash’s new album for example. An accomplished producer with a personal history ended up creating a sound that I personally love across an entire album with all different types of singers. 

Although I agree about the production, CDs had an excellent producer and mixer with Andy Wallace and it didn’t sound that different by then. Maybe because Axl was still too much involved, I don’t know. I’m not saying that this was a problem because I like the songs even with some questionable production. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Atlas was considered on CD1 with Brian May in the 1999/2000 era. Between that and 2008, we don't know what else was going on, but Axl chose to not include it on CD1. We already got 4/5 NITL tracks before Atlas. So I think it's safe to assume that the song wasn't high in priority so far. I don't see any reason on why that would change. Sure, it's one we know it have more vocals, but that's only the assumption from known dated information.

Also, we knew  Monsters existed with vocals, but we didn't know The General had it too. Remember, what we thought was The General was actually Monsters. We only had Sebastian Bach information regarding The General and that's debatable if he was actually referring to Monsters. We also know that Robin worked on a Steve Ray Vaughan-esque solo in another song that we don't know much about it or if it was actually one of the songs we got already. I remember back in 2006 Axl told that Richard was recording a track for a song that wouldn't come out in CD. Again, we just don't know. 

Sure Atlas could very well be released like you said. But as far as I know, the only evidence I got so far was that Monsters had the NITL treatment. Last year we had a very unreliable rumor of Atlas being the next single, but that was it. 

Personally, I don't care for it. I like Brian May's (and Robin's) solo, I like the tone changes and drums, but I don't like the chorus.

For whatever reason the plan for new GNR music seems to be Slash and Duff working with whatever Axl's got in the vault. I think there's a strong chance Atlas gets released if for no other reason than it gives them enough to work with. Who knows what's in there or how complete any of it is.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:16 PM, Tom2112 said:

Izzy was involved, he just left when the money/contract wasn't too his liking.

But there wasn't a plan of putting the classic band back together. Adler at one point was going to play the AFD songs Izzy was probably going do something similar. Circumstances changed and we got we got, a few guest spots from Steven and that was it. 

I don't know how Steven acted (good or bad) behind the scenes but things seemed to turn sour pretty quickly.

It's a shame things weren't ironed out though, at least for the AFD anniversary even if they just got up and played a few songs together. Hard to put the rabbit back in the hat though if they did the classic 5.

Adler's just too much of a wild card for me. Like the problem child that puts a strain on a marriage. 

20 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Agreed with everything here, I've always figured Axl might not even like the song anymore. The guy has weird taste and very staunch opinions, and if he opted to remove it from the CD tracklist who's to say he ever wants to release it. Is the album length thing just what the band said? If Atlas was a full minute longer than the locker leak, it'd still fit on the Chinese CD and vinyl with time to spare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

For whatever reason the plan for new GNR music seems to be Slash and Duff working with whatever Axl's got in the vault. I think there's a strong chance Atlas gets released if for no other reason than it gives them enough to work with. Who knows what's in there or how complete any of it is.

At the same time, I don't think they worked on every single CD era track with vocals. At least not during the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

Agreed with everything here, I've always figured Axl might not even like the song anymore. The guy has weird taste and very staunch opinions, and if he opted to remove it from the CD tracklist who's to say he ever wants to release it. Is the album length thing just what the band said? If Atlas was a full minute longer than the locker leak, it'd still fit on the Chinese CD and vinyl with time to spare.

It may be just because the song didn't fit, as it would be redundant with similar tracks such as Catcher, SOD, TIL... But then after he had the opportunity to release it as a single, he chose to put out Perhaps instead.

On 6/3/2024 at 4:59 PM, Sweersa said:

Bumblefoot said it didn't fit on CD, I don't think he meant or implied it was supposed to be the 15th (last) song. Prostitute was clearly intended to be the last song, to be the album closer, with that super long outro.  

Yes not 15th, but it would have been 1 of 15 if it could fit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmus1 said:

I've always figured Axl might not even like the song anymore. The guy has weird taste and very staunch opinions, and if he opted to remove it from the CD tracklist who's to say he ever wants to release it. 

You'd have a point if it wasn't axl rose. If we were talking billy corgan, then yes. He's been known to write 60 songs for an album, some that don't make it are great songs, (set the ray to jerry ended as a b side, burnt orange black, played live then discarded etc) but once the next new album cycle starts it's new music only. 

Axl is literally still mixing songs from 1998 and planning to release them. Absurd for example. And Atlas is a helluva lot better than that. I don't get the impression that Axl intends to throw away any songs he's put a serious vocal too. Atlas was too polished in the 1999 leaks, and then for axl to get bumblefoot to do a part in 07/08 and then for it to just miss out at the last minute, then for him to have it on a cd2 album in 2010 tells me Axl definitely likes the song. Plus it's axl. this i love was supposedly worked up in 1993. hardskool 1998. (OMG he wanted to re release ffs!)

Again, this is Axl rose, not billy corgan. You could say maybe slash and duff don't like it. But they played on absurd and the general, so again, if axl tells them to play it, they will play it. we've also had fernando say in 2019 a new ALBUM was coming, then susan say she'd heard the album. that implies more than the 6 songs slash mentioned, so it is likely they recorded more than those 5-6 that are getting a release as drip fed singles, but i'd say it would be almost completely implausible that one of those is not atlas. 

On 6/3/2024 at 9:02 PM, Voodoochild said:

I like Brian May's (and Robin's) solo, I like the tone changes and drums, but I don't like the chorus.

I like the chorus, i can see how the song isn't everyones cup of tea, but the way it builds gradually into the powerful final chorus and the lyrics and their delivery are almost melancholy, quite whimsical and almost showing some self awareness. which is quite rare from axl. they're not OTT or grandiose like lots of 'modern' (1998 onwards) axl lyrics. Thought May nailed the solo, it was perfect. though no doubt slash will have worsened it sadly. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

But they played on absurd and the general, so again, if axl tells them to play it, they will play it

Maybe, but maybe they chose themselves what they wanna play on. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe, but maybe they chose themselves what they wanna play on. 

Of course they did. I don't get this whole "they play what they're told" bullshit that people insist on all the time.

It was Slash and Duff that asked Axl which Chinese Democracy songs Axl wanted to play, which suggests there was perhaps a willingness from Axl's side to ditch them from the live show, and an obvious openness from Slash and Duff to play them willingly.

It was also Axl's idea to play Slither.

The band – or at least the main three – are obviously more collaborative than people give them credit for, yet we still have to put up with this nonsense narrative that Axl has them under his thumb.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 12:12 AM, SoulMonster said:

They have ideas and material aplenty. That's not the problem. They even have finished songs from the CD sessions ready to go.

I said newly recorded material. Im not a fan of these 20 year old CD rehashed songs with cut paste scrap vocals.

I dont think axl has any ideas if he doesnt even bother redoing vocal takes, adding additional verses, overdubs or recording anything new at all outside of these scrap 20 year old cd era songs. The writing with these songs are pretty poor too I must add.

Edited by vloors

7 minutes ago, vloors said:

I said newly recorded material. Im not a fan of these 20 year old CD rehashed songs with cut paste scrap vocals.

I dont think axl has any ideas if he doesnt even bother redoing vocal takes, adding additional verses, overdubs or recording anything new at all outside of these scrap 20 year old cd era songs. The writing with these songs are pretty poor.

There is no reason to think Izzy coming in would induce Axl to put side the music he has labored on for years. It is likely Slash and Duff have some great song ideas too, yet Axl doesn't want to let the old music go. Izzy has sent him music previously without that having any impact on Axl too. So it doesn't seem to be about a lack of material, nor maybe even quality of music, Axl is still loyal to the old music and seems to want that out first. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DTV88 said:

The songs on CD sound like shit due to the “layers”. There are some really good songs in there if they were allowed to breathe. That was a production choice made by someone who shouldn’t be in charge of any future albums’s production decisions. Take Slash’s new album for example. An accomplished producer with a personal history ended up creating a sound that I personally love across an entire album with all different types of singers. 

You're comparing a blues standards album to one man's magnum opus. Of course the blues album has less layers.

lAyErS bAd!

The producer did not tell Axl to add layers, that was Axl's decision. The production actually does a impressive job of putting it all together while maintaining as much separation and breathing room as possible (and bucks the trend of brickwalling, no less). If you think CD has bad production, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Of course they did. I don't get this whole "they play what they're told" bullshit that people insist on all the time.

It was Slash and Duff that asked Axl which Chinese Democracy songs Axl wanted to play, which suggests there was perhaps a willingness from Axl's side to ditch them from the live show, and an obvious openness from Slash and Duff to play them willingly.

It was also Axl's idea to play Slither.

The band – or at least the main three – are obviously more collaborative than people give them credit for, yet we still have to put up with this nonsense narrative that Axl has them under his thumb.

You hit the nail on the head, and unlike some who always revert to the past (posts with information from 20 years ago and about band members who haven't been in the band for decades) you are looking forward. 

The reunion and reconnection of Slash, Axl and Duff would not have lasted this long had they not collaborated as musicians nor from a personal perspective, put the past behind them and moved on. 

Slash and Duff seem perfectly happy in life and don't give off any impression that they are under the control of any person including Axl Rose. 

Axl Rose himself seems happier in life these days and you generally aren't happy in life, if you have a controlling personality. Possibly thats were Axl Rose has made changes in his own personal life, hence the very different Axl Rose we have today. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2024 at 10:22 PM, Tom2112 said:

He seemed a bit more focussed on this last run, but it might be a little too late. Had he taken steps in 2011 when the first major wobbles began he might have retained his power and control. But yeah I agree, I have said for years that Axl treated his voice like something that was just there, he got off tour and threw it alongside his luggage thinking it would be just the same the next time he went out the door again. That might be the case for a young singer, but as you age you can't think that will continue, and as time went on Axls voice got thinner and less stable and powerful, and he lost ability to distort and essential lost his ability to sound like his trademark sound.

What's clear though, is all isn't lost. Listening to Brian on the Rock or bust tour you would think he was done, listening to him now he clearly isn't, and he obviously isn't 30 or 40 vocally but he sounds like the singer from the records when it comes to the important parts and that's what people pay for. He adapts the vocal line appropriately, he doesn't hit all the high notes but it sounds solid. Axl with help can get his voice back together, assuming he hasn't any damage to his vocal chords (like JBJ).

I think there's no question he's done permanent damage to his vocal cords, and that happened most significantly on the UYI tour, as he never sounded the same afterward.

Brian Johnson simply has a different singing style and, most critically, produces his rasp in a different, more healthy way. It's also been said that Brian actually sings very quiet and does not actually push a lot of volume on the mic or scream, it just sounds like he's screaming. I get the impression that Axl actually was screaming back in the day.

15 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

Slash and Duff seem perfectly happy in life and don't give off any impression that they are under the control of any person including Axl Rose. 

Axl Rose himself seems happier in life these days and you generally aren't happy in life, if you have a controlling personality. Possibly thats were Axl Rose has made changes in his own personal life, hence the very different Axl Rose we have today. 

Yeah, unlike a lot of fans, I think they have all accepted each other as who they are, and are not trying to force each other to change and align with their perspective.

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 12:29 AM, kiwiguns said:

You hit the nail on the head, and unlike some who always revert to the past (posts with information from 20 years ago and about band members who haven't been in the band for decades) you are looking forward. 

The reunion and reconnection of Slash, Axl and Duff would not have lasted this long had they not collaborated as musicians nor from a personal perspective, put the past behind them and moved on. 

You hit the nail on the head, too. And what's most baffling to me is all of this is out there, on show, and is plain to see.

To me it's all blatantly obvious

Edited by DoMw94

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Yes not 15th, but it would have been 1 of 15 if it could fit

I bet if they would have dropped the unnecessarily long Chinese Democracy and Riad intros, they could have fit it in. (And the weird Scraped intro too) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I bet if they would have dropped the unnecessarily long Chinese Democracy and Riad intros, they could have fit it in. (And the weird Scraped intro too) 

Scraped should've been longer. :ph34r:

The live intro with the drums was actually pretty cool. If anything they should've cut the long CD and Rhiad intros, and cut Scraped entirely so it could be the opener on CD2. :axl:

As for their personal lives and relationships, multiple things can be true. Yes they all seem happy and chill, and yes Axl still has complete control over what's released as GNR music. Slash and Duff have more say than Fortus, blah blah fucking blah, it's still Axl's call when and how they release anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Scraped should've been longer. :ph34r:

The live intro with the drums was actually pretty cool. If anything they should've cut the long CD and Rhiad intros, and cut Scraped entirely so it could be the opener on CD2. :axl:

As for their personal lives and relationships, multiple things can be true. Yes they all seem happy and chill, and yes Axl still has complete control over what's released as GNR music. Slash and Duff have more say than Fortus, blah blah fucking blah, it's still Axl's call when and how they release anything.

I agree, I actually really like Scraped. It's a fast banging song. I agree it would have fit CD2 better. I'm sure at one point it was probably slated for CD2 as a few songs bounced between the first two albums. You have killer and diverse Axl vocals, and amazing Bucket guitars and Brain drums.

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

You're comparing a blues standards album to one man's magnum opus. Of course the blues album has less layers.

lAyErS bAd!

The producer did not tell Axl to add layers, that was Axl's decision. The production actually does an impressive job of putting it all together while maintaining as much separation and breathing room as possible (and bucks the trend of brickwalling, no less). If you think CD has bad production, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

One man’s magnum opus? I thought NuGuns was supposed to be a band?