Guns N' Roses to return to the road in 2025

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

It's an indicator because slash would love GnR to write and release, as would duff. And they aren't. Because Axl calls the shots. He respects their opinion, but doesn't mean they actually get a say. TB run GnR. That's another clear indicator, this is Axls band, slash turns up and plays guitar. TB probably say 'You free to tour in 2025' Slash says yes, then the next time slash worries about GnR is rehearsal and then performing the show. he's not involved in anything else like he was in the 80s. 

I don’t agree for the reasons I wrote before

54 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I always get the impression that Axl is just not that passionate about music. I can picture him sitting around being unproductive for months on end, reading and watching sports like motor racing with Beta. 

Slash strikes me as the kind of person that lives and breathes music. I can imagine him spending time working on music every single day. Whether it’s Guns, SMKC, solo stuff, collaborations, or just practicing guitar or pedal steel 

I honestly think that’s the main difference and the reason that Slash has so many albums and Axl has nothing. If he wanted to release music then he would. 

Most of Axl's lyrics tend to be very personal, about his past relationships and feuds. Since he's been pretty mellow since 2011, it's not surprising he's not inspired to write anything.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think it matters any more. The average man's opinion on CD won't be affected by these new releases because the average man doesn't listen to them - not because they are necessarily bad but because people don't listen to this kind of music and the releases were so low-key events that barely caused any commotion. It wasn't like, "GUNS N' ROSES, THE 80S ROCKERS, RELEASE THEIR FIRST ALBUM AFTER SLASH REJOINED THE BAND!" It wasn't a thing. Releasing the songs this way, instead of bunding them into an album with all that means, takes pressure off Axl but it still means he gets the music out which he worked at for years and years. He can go back to the naysayers around him, like label and music journalists and previous music professionals and say, "Hey, I told you, we did create more than one album, the music is coming out," and more importantly, he can tell himself that he was right all along and did what he set out to do. Without having the scrutiny and backlash he would get it the songs came out as an album which would likely perform poorly, even more poorly than CD did. Anyway, just speculation from me, of course.

And yes, of course I wish he would just bulk release it all. It might draw more attention to it, though, so that might be one reason he is not doing that, but who know, he works in mysterious ways. 

Why on earth would anyone want to release material but only in the situation that not very many will hear it? Axl definitely wanted people to hear these songs, he just overestimated gnrs appeal outside of a touring entity. 

Axl didn't prove anyone wrong though. If he was going to prove people wrong he would have dropped these songs very close to the original Chinese album... Not wait 13yrs and then release songs that even most diehard gnr and Chinese Democracy fans don't enjoy. Releasing them after NITL, made him look out of ideas and Slash/Duff looked like high paid session players going along to get along.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Why on earth would anyone want to release material but only in the situation that not very many will hear it? Axl definitely wanted people to hear these songs, he just overestimated gnrs appeal outside of a touring entity. 

Axl didn't prove anyone wrong though. If he was going to prove people wrong he would have dropped these songs very close to the original Chinese album... Not wait 13yrs and then release songs that even most diehard gnr and Chinese Democracy fans don't enjoy. Releasing them after NITL, made him look out of ideas and Slash/Duff looked like high paid session players going along to get along.

It's not about how many will hear it, but the expectations that come with the release of an album. 

And I didn't say he proved anyone wrong, I speculated that perhaps he thinks he did. 

9 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

It's spectacular that people can deny Axl has a different understanding of time than the rest of us. Just look at his discography.

He even has a different understanding of space. Just look at his, I don't know, private jet. 

11 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I always get the impression that Axl is just not that passionate about music. I can picture him sitting around being unproductive for months on end, reading and watching sports like motor racing with Beta. 

Slash strikes me as the kind of person that lives and breathes music. I can imagine him spending time working on music every single day. Whether it’s Guns, SMKC, solo stuff, collaborations, or just practicing guitar or pedal steel 

I honestly think that’s the main difference and the reason that Slash has so many albums and Axl has nothing. If he wanted to release music then he would. 

I think that's probably it. 

I just don't think he's very interested anymore. As you say, if he wanted to release music he would. It's really as simple as that. 

• Like 3

On 6/5/2024 at 10:21 AM, JimiRose said:

You kind of contradicted yourself when you said they asked axl what he wanted - that is basically him telling them.

What?! 😂 No, it's Duff and Slash asking, not Axl demanding. What kind of weird logic is that? 😂

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think that's probably it. 

I just don't think he's very interested anymore. As you say, if he wanted to release music he would. It's really as simple as that. 

It's probably that he doesn't think he's coming up with anything good.  Who knows if he's trying to.  I remember Billy Joel declared years ago that he wouldn't write any new songs because he didn't feel he had anything good left to write.  He's just kept touring for year.  Granted, he wrote and released an order of magnitude more material but it could be a similar situation.

The only way I think we'd ever get completely new GNR songs is if Izzy returned as a songwriter and studio musician and Axl just contributed some lyrics.  My crystal ball isn't great but I just don't foresee Axl taking a song from inception to completion at this point.

Slash is there since 2016. Ron was there from 2006. Both confirmed they’ve never actually got together as a band and written anything in those 18 years. 

Based on all the information we have, it is quite clear to me that the Chinese sessions in late 90s and early 00s is the last time that Axl really did Guns music. 

I think he’s pretty content to just tour these days. Outside of that, he probably has a pretty mundane life. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jamillos said:

Please don’t return to the road without new music. Release at least a small EP with four new songs that we haven’t heard yet. We already know you’re back, you’ve played the shit out of everything that could have been played, you've toured the world several times, Axl could barely sing at times during the last tour, you made a fuckload of money, the initial thrill is gone, there’s no reason to do this all over again. Please move on at last and do something exciting this time instead of milking the same old cow...

Don't worry, they'll be back with something new... a Las Vegas residency with a ground breaking, interactive, immersive AI spectacle brought to you by the geniuses at Creative Works London. :lol:

They can't even release singles before a tour, of course they won't release multiple songs beforehand.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Don't worry, they'll be back with something new... a Las Vegas residency with a ground breaking, interactive, immersive AI spectacle brought to you by the geniuses at Creative Works London. :lol:

They can't even release singles before a tour, of course they won't release multiple songs beforehand.

but what if it's not about what they can do but what Axl chooses to do? he seems to still want to release his Chinese era material while on tour and I think songs like Monsters are bound to be released, at least it's my guess.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With Breakdown on the guitar tech alt setlist, and the GNR songs Slash played on tour this year (Dont Damn Me, Perfect Crime, Bad Apples), I think we may have another setlist shakeup.

Regardless of new music or how Axl sounds, the shows last year were the best and most variety GNR setlists of all time in my opinion. So many deep cuts.
Idk if they will completely change it, but swapping Anything Goes for Think About You, Coma for Breakdown or any of the Slash tour illusions songs, and maybe Street of Dreams for I.R.S or Shacklers Revenge, would be enough for me to stay interested all tour.

If they do the same setlist, I wont be mad because at least it won't be "hits and shits" like it has been in the past on a lot of NITL shows.
Also you never know how Axl can come back, 2014 Axl was sounding mickey, took 2015 off, 2016 sounded amazing.
We could see that since he took a break this year next tour, I know it wont be the same but if Axl pushes the baritone still I feel like we are going to be getting the best Axl in a while.

Edited by Skamos66
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 1:17 PM, DoMw94 said:

What?! 😂 No, it's Duff and Slash asking, not Axl demanding. What kind of weird logic is that? 😂

I'll phrase it how i think it went down. Slash and duff slowly approach Axl, hands behind their backs and panic in their voices. 'Hey ax, ermm so when we play live, we're playing GnR stuff right?'

Axl 'Yeah all albums should be covered i think'

slash 'Oh, Chinese democracy too?'

Axl 'Oh defintely, it's still my fav GnR album'

Slash ' Oh ok what songs?'

Axl 'Just learn them all and we'll rotate'

Slash 'ermm ok axl sounds um, great, can't wait'

Duff 'Thanks Ax' 

Technically slash has asked him what CD songs to play! :lol:

• Confused 2

On 6/6/2024 at 2:54 AM, SoulMonster said:

It's not about how many will hear it, but the expectations that come with the release of an album. 

And I didn't say he proved anyone wrong, I speculated that perhaps he thinks he did. 

You see there was still expectations when people read "new gnr song" clicked the link and then instantly didn't like it. I know the point you're making, and I think that might be the mindset, he's aware that through all the promises he made before Chinese he over hyped the music to an impossible place. However he cannot control these things outside of saying he's not releasing music anymore.

I just don't see how he could view the released songs as successes though. And I don't think he's crazy enough to believe releasing 4 more songs suddenly makes up for the 14yrs wait for Chinese and then the 13yr wait after Chinese. He rightly can claim the successes from his touring and a switch in public perception though.

And just for the record, I don't hate the released songs, I just don't think they are strong enough that I would have wanted them released, obviously Axl views these songs in another way and has personal attachment. I always go back to an interview with Myles Kennedy where he talked about having another album ready but shelved it in favour of making fresh material (year of the tiger) because he felt the time for its release had passed. 

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I'll phrase it how i think it went down. Slash and duff slowly approach Axl, hands behind their backs and panic in their voices. 'Hey ax, ermm so when we play live, we're playing GnR stuff right?'

Duff 'Thanks Ax' 

Must be hard for you to know that it didn’t happen that way.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Skamos66 said:

With Breakdown on the guitar tech alt setlist, and the GNR songs Slash played on tour this year (Dont Damn Me, Perfect Crime, Bad Apples), I think we may have another setlist shakeup.

Regardless of new music or how Axl sounds, the shows last year were the best and most variety GNR setlists of all time in my opinion. So many deep cuts.
Idk if they will completely change it, but swapping Anything Goes for Think About You, Coma for Breakdown or any of the Slash tour illusions songs, and maybe Street of Dreams for I.R.S or Shacklers Revenge, would be enough for me to stay interested all tour.

If they do the same setlist, I wont be mad because at least it won't be "hits and shits" like it has been in the past on a lot of NITL shows.
Also you never know how Axl can come back, 2014 Axl was sounding mickey, took 2015 off, 2016 sounded amazing.
We could see that since he took a break this year next tour, I know it wont be the same but if Axl pushes the baritone still I feel like we are going to be getting the best Axl in a while.

The setlist was amazing last year. This band has a lot of problems but the set is not one of them. People complain endlessly it’s “stale” when I think they’ve actually done a really good job at introducing deepcuts and shaking things up. I would be more than happy to see them again without any setlist switch.

But yeah, it doesn’t matter how good the setlist is, Axl sounds bad on almost everything lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I always go back to an interview with Myles Kennedy where he talked about having another album ready but shelved it in favour of making fresh material (year of the tiger) because he felt the time for its release had passed. 

I think, in other words, that unreleased Myles album wasn't very good. 

36 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The setlist was amazing last year. This band has a lot of problems but the set is not one of them. People complain endlessly it’s “stale” when I think they’ve actually done a really good job at introducing deepcuts and shaking things up. I would be more than happy to see them again without any setlist switch.

But yeah, it doesn’t matter how good the setlist is, Axl sounds bad on almost everything lol

Welcome to music in 2024, unfortunately. For a band of GNR's vintage there is just no reason to make a new album. Music is a touring business, not a recording business these days. If they make an album, it won't sell great. If they tour behind it, 80-90% of the crowd will affirmatively dislike it if they play new music. The crowd wants greatest hits, and new music won't sell. It sucks, but this is what we've done through streaming.

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

If they make an album, it won't sell great.

Nonsense, that depends entirely on how good the album is. AC/DC topped the charts in 2008 with Black Ice. Rock or Bust was a flop, then they had another success with Power Up in 2020. Hell, even if it's not that great it can do well on name alone. IMO Sabbath's 13 album was forgettable but it was a big success for them. VH rehashed old material with A Different Kind of Truth and it did well.

Lots of people going to see AIC want to hear Check My Brain because it was a good song.

You're kind of treating fairweather fans as a caricature; the irony is that they are actually less stuck to the old material because they often can't even tell the difference. This I Love has done some ridiculous numbers on streaming platforms like Spotify, and none of the fairweather fans who found that through November Rain have any idea that it's from the "bad album" by "NuGuns" which isn't "real GNR" but instead "hired hands". They just hear a nice ballad that they like, that's it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Nonsense, that depends entirely on how good the album is. AC/DC topped the charts in 2008 with Black Ice. Rock or Bust was a flop, then they had another success with Power Up in 2020. Hell, even if it's not that great it can do well on name alone. IMO Sabbath's 13 album was forgettable but it was a big success for them. VH rehashed old material with A Different Kind of Truth and it did well.

Lots of people going to see AIC want to hear Check My Brain because it was a good song.

You're kind of treating fairweather fans as a caricature; the irony is that they are actually less stuck to the old material because they often can't even tell the difference. This I Love has done some ridiculous numbers on streaming platforms like Spotify, and none of the fairweather fans who found that through November Rain have any idea that it's from the "bad album" by "NuGuns" which isn't "real GNR" but instead "hired hands". They just hear a nice ballad that they like, that's it.

I fucking loved that album :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 1:36 PM, JimiRose said:

Duff 'Thanks Ax' 

I hope you know how ridiculous this post looks...

• Like 2