Guns N' Roses to return to the road in 2025

17 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

You're kind of treating fairweather fans as a caricature; the irony is that they are actually less stuck to the old material because they often can't even tell the difference. This I Love has done some ridiculous numbers on streaming platforms like Spotify, and none of the fairweather fans who found that through November Rain have any idea that it's from the "bad album" by "NuGuns" which isn't "real GNR" but instead "hired hands". They just hear a nice ballad that they like, that's it.

All grumpy forum dwelling super fans should read this (including me)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Nonsense, that depends entirely on how good the album is.

and the significant efforts the marketing team is putting into it, which is nearly as important as the music itself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I think, in other words, that unreleased Myles album wasn't very good. 

Generally yes, but also not necessarily, he said the lyrical content didn't fit where he was at and wanted to do a more upbeat guitar album... For whatever that's worth😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

I hope you know how ridiculous this post looks...

Thinking slash and duff have any say over anything axl does or doesn't do. now that's ridiculous!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Thinking slash and duff have any say over anything axl does or doesn't do. now that's ridiculous!

if Tommy Stinson, Chris Pitman or Bumblefoot had say over music they made with Axl, Slash & Duff certainly do too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

They definitely didnt either!

They had a huge impact on the music that was made (like Chris wrote If The World and Bucket wrote Shackler's) but also on the music that was released (like Robin arguing for the inclusion of This I Love on Chinese Democracy). I suspect Slash and Duff will have equal impact. What they can’t do, though, is force Axl to give up on the CD material or force him to work on new music. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Not to mention the title track was entirely a Josh Freese song.

Axl's on the record saying he listened to ideas others brought to the table

Impossible argument to win, there's a select group of people that just like the Axl doesn't play with others card, and no matter what we hear or see from people that work with him it won't change.

Obviously Axl decides if he wanted to put a vocal on a track he said "I like this, I don't like that, can you do something like ... here?" One thing that was clear was he was looking to make music with people and not just write 14 songs and have people play on them. 

Anyway the people that know, know, the others? What can you say. I guess they think it's like Megadeth where Dave says they have creative freedom, but in reality it's creative freedom within the bottleneck of Megadeth

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

They had a huge impact on the music that was made (like Chris wrote If The World and Bucket wrote Shackler's) but also on the music that was released (like Robin arguing for the inclusion of This I Love on Chinese Democracy). I suspect Slash and Duff will have equal impact. What they can’t do, though, is force Axl to give up on the CD material or force him to work on new music. 

To be clear - the debate wasnt about musical input. There's no doubt that most of the songs on CD and from that era were created by the hired hands and axl picked and chose and cut and pasted together his favourites. However, in terms of Guns N Roses - which is what was being discussed. ie when to release, when to tour, what to sell as merch, what to say to the media etc. entire creative control was Axl and TB, and that hasn't changed now with slash and duff back. 

When bumblefoot, finck, bucket or slash suggested releasing when to release a song, or when to tour, they would not be given a second thought. And I get the feeling slash doesn't care. he has his creative outlets, as does duff. Then when TB call and tell them the tour dates, it's back to the day job for the bigger paycheque. 

54 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

To be clear - the debate wasnt about musical input. There's no doubt that most of the songs on CD and from that era were created by the hired hands and axl picked and chose and cut and pasted together his favourites. However, in terms of Guns N Roses - which is what was being discussed. ie when to release, when to tour, what to sell as merch, what to say to the media etc. entire creative control was Axl and TB, and that hasn't changed now with slash and duff back. 

When bumblefoot, finck, bucket or slash suggested releasing when to release a song, or when to tour, they would not be given a second thought. And I get the feeling slash doesn't care. he has his creative outlets, as does duff. Then when TB call and tell them the tour dates, it's back to the day job for the bigger paycheque. 

Gotcha. The only additional comment I would make is that you seem to think Team Brazil has any say in the whens and whats (I have no reason to believe this is true) and that Axl would just decided on when to tour without consulting with the rest of his band mates (although he would expect them to prioritize GN'R over other projects, especially so for "hired hands", it is different with Slash and Duff who are partners and hence presumably legally obliged to be part of the decision making process, and are busy and that he cannot simply expect them to accommodate their careers to GN'R hence communication and discussion and agreement must happen). 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Gotcha. The only additional comment I would make is that you seem to think Team Brazil has any say in the whens and whats (I have no reason to believe this is true) and that Axl would just decided on when to tour without consulting with the rest of his band mates (although he would expect them to prioritize GN'R over other projects, especially so for "hired hands", it is different with Slash and Duff who are partners and hence presumably legally obliged to be part of the decision making process, and are busy and that he cannot simply expect them to accommodate their careers to GN'R hence communication and discussion and agreement must happen). 

I guess the question would be, do duff and slash have the power to say 'no'. When Axl or TB decide its time to tour, and start booking dates, would slash say no and it be accepted? I think it's different Axl saying 'what do you think of this slash?' and slash going along with it, but would he say 'no axl you are wrong we are not doing that' - i dont think he would, so really any power or control he has is for show. 

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

I guess the question would be, do duff and slash have the power to say 'no'. When Axl or TB decide its time to tour, and start booking dates, would slash say no and it be accepted? I think it's different Axl saying 'what do you think of this slash?' and slash going along with it, but would he say 'no axl you are wrong we are not doing that' - i dont think he would, so really any power or control he has is for show. 

Legally speaking, assuming the 1992 agreement is still valid, they can say no. In practical terms, I assume they seek consensus on all decisions to keep the peace and hence that discussions take place where they explore scenarios to ensure agreement. I am sure if Axl suggested doing a GN'R tour when Slash had already communicated plans to tour with another project, Slash would say no to that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sure if Axl suggested doing a GN'R tour when Slash had already communicated plans to tour with another project, Slash would say no to that. 

I also dont think axl would do that intentionally, i think he is happy to keep the peace. but assuming there is a miscommunication (which is more than likely in gnr and tb land), gnr have a tour booked at the same time slash has something else planned and one has to make way, i can't see any way slash would say no to axl and TB. Let's just hope the new album comes before the miscommunications start... 

9 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I also dont think axl would do that intentionally, i think he is happy to keep the peace. but assuming there is a miscommunication (which is more than likely in gnr and tb land), gnr have a tour booked at the same time slash has something else planned and one has to make way, i can't see any way slash would say no to axl and TB. Let's just hope the new album comes before the miscommunications start... 

Other band mates have said no before. Richard said no to a GN'R tour once resulting in Axl having to change plans. Bumblefoot was not successful at the same. It is a calculated risk for Slash, he risks Axl's ire and a potential end to a very lucrative he got going with GN'R. That being said, I don't think Axl would be so unreasonable to not accept that Slash cannot agree to cancel his other plans if GN'R had to change their dates for a tour resulting in a conflict. 

Personally, I am not overly concerned over miscommunication, they seem to have open lines and communicates regularly. What I think is more likely to cause this lineup to fall apart is Slash and Duff getting fed up not getting to release brand new music with Axl if at the same time they either stop touring or the touring pays less. With no prospect of releasing a new "proper" Guns N' Roses album and little money coming in from touring, they would have little reason to be part of it any more. 

• Like 1

Axl is undoubtedly the final decision-maker as regards writing or releasing stuff, but Slash could at any time say no to a new tour, and it wouldn’t even have to be for the reasons of conflicting dates. He could go something like 'hey man, I don’t feel like doing yet another tour without proper new material'. And Axl couldn’t do shit about it; he needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl. Whether Slash would actually say something like this is another question, and I personally wouldn’t expect it too much. But he could do it. But yeah, I think they’re more or less on the same page with these things, so why stir the waters as long as the machine is running well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Other band mates have said no before. Richard said no to a GN'R tour once resulting in Axl having to change plans. Bumblefoot was not successful at the same. It is a calculated risk for Slash, he risks Axl's ire and a potential end to a very lucrative he got going with GN'R. 

I don't recall Richard saying no to a tour, can you please share more about this? (I'm interested in reading about it, or perhaps to refresh my memory) Thank you :) 

On 6/8/2024 at 9:12 AM, evilfacelessturtle said:

You're kind of treating fairweather fans as a caricature; the irony is that they are actually less stuck to the old material because they often can't even tell the difference. This I Love has done some ridiculous numbers on streaming platforms like Spotify, and none of the fairweather fans who found that through November Rain have any idea that it's from the "bad album" by "NuGuns" which isn't "real GNR" but instead "hired hands". They just hear a nice ballad that they like, that's it.

I still remember coming out of a 2017 concert having been asked by a few people what This I Love was called, and I even overheard other people talking about it. Was definitely a sleeper hit among the crowd. 

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

There are so many quotes about the new album that are repeated word for word these days, lol. And all these phrases were inherited from those guys to Slash and Duff. Now Slash and Duff seem to be saying the same thing according to the manual, lol

2 minutes ago, lunastar said:

There are so many quotes about the new album that are repeated word for word these days, lol. And all these phrases were inherited from those guys to Slash and Duff. Now Slash and Duff seem to be saying the same thing according to the manual, lol

It is a difficult exercise. On one hand they have to express optimism and try to instill some excitement in the fans, yet at the same time they don't want to lead anyone on and say anything that won't happen, all the while knowing that whatever plans the band have internally might change on short notice due to the unpredictability of the band.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I still remember coming out of a 2017 concert having been asked by a few people what This I Love was called, and I even overheard other people talking about it. Was definitely a sleeper hit among the crowd. 

I swear in 2011 I heard people in Chicago singing along to This I Love. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside, finally, the world accepts the CD-era. :P There were ton's of CD shirts too. I usually wear my 2006 logo concert shirt. Had to buy one size bigger in time. :D They hold up VERY well. Great quality merch back then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I swear in 2011 I heard people in Chicago singing along to This I Love. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside, finally, the world accepts the CD-era. :P There were ton's of CD shirts too. I usually wear my 2006 logo concert shirt. Had to buy one size bigger in time. :D They hold up VERY well. Great quality merch back then.

2006 shirt… you disappoint Bucket :lol:

• Haha 2