What was the first Guns N'Roses Concert you went to? 😀💡🤔

Dublin 2010

Band came on stage about 90 minutes late, and you don't piss off the Irish like that. Bottles were thrown, the band barely got through a song. Maybe they managed a couple - hard to remember.

Came back on maybe 45 minutes after they left the stage. Axl just stood there and phoned it in for the rest of the performance.

The forum raved about how amazing his vocals were.

I actually went to Manchester the following month and it was a far superior gig, and we got don't cry as well - might have been one of the first shows after it was brought back?

3 hours ago, Karice said:

They were booing the tits being shown on the big screen? 🤣👀 To be absolutely fair, showing tits is such a random thing to show at a Guns N'Roses Concert, especially for straight Women who would  think,"What the FUCK? 😒🙄🤨😳🤨 A more realistic  scenario would have been if they were showing Guns N'Roses videos and pictures and the Fans were booing at those after waiting a long time for Guns N'Roses. 💡🤔

They did. The cameras were scanning the audience and showing the ladies who showed off what they had!:D 

The response was positive at first. The longer the wait, the people lost interest and just wanted the music.

19 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

They did. The cameras were scanning the audience and showing the ladies who showed off what they had!:D 

The response was positive at first. The longer the wait, the people lost interest and just wanted the music.

Oh, okay. The AUDIENCE MEMBERS were showing their tits.🤔💡 I assumed the Venue Staff was the one showing tits on the big screen as a way to satiate the crowd until Guns N'Roses came on. 🤔💡

4 hours ago, scans n' copies said:

Mine was at the Myriad in Oklahoma City on April 6th of 1992, just a couple of weeks before the Freddie Mercury Tribute.  Still the best concert I've ever seen!  

I saw them in Chicago a few days after that. It's a top 3 show I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Just curious if anyone saw them during the LA club days?

Technically, the LA Club days aren't a Concert. 😉 Maybe I should update the thread to something like,"When did you first see Guns N'Roses perform?" 😉🤔

10 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

My first GNR show was London, Ontario 2010. God damn, was that a time. 

I started really getting into GNR in high school. I started really immersing myself in GNR in around 2006, started lurking here in 2007 or so, and got Chinese Democracy the day it came out (after immersing myself in leaks). My first rock concert was Rush in 2007, so I missed GNR's 2006 tour by a few months, but I remember seeing advertisements for it in town when it rolled through. It seemed like forever for the tour to be announced after the album came out. Back then, Axl was kind of a rare touring act. I was worried I would never see GNR, which is funny looking back. There were lots of rumors between the end of 2008 and the announcement of the tour in late 2009 like they would tour with an orchestra or that they would tour with Van Halen, etc. 

Finally, they announced a brief Asian and an extensive Canadian tour in late 2009. Fall of 2009 was probably the most hyped I have seen this place. 2016 was close and obviously, the reunion gets a lot more traction, but the forums were overall more active back then because social media communities weren't as much of a thing. One of the Canadian dates happened to be only about 2 hours or so away. I had just started college that fall and didn't have a car, but I bought two pit tickets, nonetheless. My friend and I convinced his mom to drive us and get us a hotel. Thanks, friend's mom. The lead up was great. The "new" lineup actually sounded really good. Everyone was worried about DJ in 2009, and obviously we know how that ended up, but in 2009 and 2010 he was pretty well received in the band. Him and Bumble played more faithful to the studio material in 09-10 and I think people liked that at the time. Looking back, of course, I would take weird and creative Robin instead of DJ, but that is neither here nor there. The bootlegs from the Asian tour were phenomenal with a great video of Osaka and a soundboard of Tokyo coming out. I played the hell out of those leading up to my show in January of 2010. 

Finally, our show came. I had wanted to see Axl for years so this was a defining music moment for me. He would be the first member of any GNR irritation that I would see. The ride up was fun, we played the Tokyo bootleg on the way up. London is a pretty small city, so even NuGNR coming to town was a big deal. People were blasting GNR throughout the city and stores and restaurants all seemed to be talking about it. It was pretty cool to us since we were teenagers. The hotel was pretty nice, and the venue was great. It was in a smaller arena. We waited hours in line to get a good spot (but quickly bought t- shirts which are now long- gone) and were just a row or 2 behind the rail on stage left. The wait was an event in itself. We witnessed fights, girls in the rafters started taking their clothes off and were put on the jumbotron, I almost got beaten up by a D- list UFC fighter who wanted my spot, Canadian act Danko Jones was the first opener, then Sebastian Bach played and yelled at security for not letting people take photographs. Finally, after several hours, GNR started. 

Having Chinese Democracy start and seeing Axl come out was one of those pivotal concert memories. His voice was absolutely killer that show, probably the best I have ever seen. We know how kick- ass he sounded in 2010, and I am glad it was my first representation of him live, in- person. The whole band brought it, and my friend even caught Bumblefoot's pick at the end of Patience. The setlist was excellent for a fan witnessing the band for the first time. All the warhorses felt fresh and exciting back then for me, and we got 9 Chinese Democracy songs including rarities like If the World (that was awesome, live) and Scraped. I love Chinese Democracy, and this felt like a true album tour where the songs felt exciting and new. At the end of the show, Axl and the band hung out on stage for a bow and pictures while some girls passed shots out into the audience. The show finally ended at around 1 or 2am. 

We had a great trip, and it is one of my fondest memories. No, it wasn't the original band and Slash and Duff were absent, but for a teenager just really getting immersed in the music, it really was an incredible experience. I have seen them 9 other times since, and have good memories attached to all of those shows. The London show has somewhat been surpassed by seeing the real- deal with my favorite reunion show. I can write paragraphs on how amazing 2016 was, but that doesn't take anything away from that first GNR show. I got to see Axl from the front of the crowd for the first time, performing my favorite music, with my best friend on a sort of out- of- town trip as I was ending my teenage years and starting a new chapter in life. It is a core memory and one that I like reminiscing on.

It is crazy that this was almost 15 years ago. I was 18 when I went to this show and now I am over half- way to 33. That really is messing with my head :lol:. If you enjoy concerts, I hope you get to see them @Karice. I am sure they have a few more big tours in the tank, and they are still worth seeing. 

TLDR- 2010. It was good. 

That was nuGNR's peak, I'm so glad I got to see them on that tour. Everything about the show was perfect, Axl sounded amazing and was in a surprisingly good mood, except for the 1 or 2 moments where he got pissed off... :lol:

And yea, If The World was so fucking good.

Me and my dad flew to Calgary, waited outside all day with maybe 10 other people. The GA line ended up getting moved at the last minute but the venue workers probably felt bad for us dorks that had been there for hours, so they let us in early. Got front row, along the center runway, stage left - exactly where I was hoping to be. Bumblefoot played O Canada after Paradise City and the crowd fuckin loved it. I've still got Tommy's shotglass somewhere, that he threw into the crowd as they walked off stage.

12 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That was nuGNR's peak, I'm so glad I got to see them on that tour. Everything about the show was perfect, Axl sounded amazing and was in a surprisingly good mood, except for the 1 or 2 moments where he got pissed off... :lol:

And yea, If The World was so fucking good.

Me and my dad flew to Calgary, waited outside all day with maybe 10 other people. The GA line ended up getting moved at the last minute but the venue workers probably felt bad for us dorks that had been there for hours, so they let us in early. Got front row, along the center runway, stage left - exactly where I was hoping to be. Bumblefoot played O Canada after Paradise City and the crowd fuckin loved it. I've still got Tommy's shotglass somewhere, that he threw into the crowd as they walked off stage.

About Axl getting pissed off, there are some compilation videos of him being pissed off. A Fan said something like,"Isn't Axl ALWAYS pissed off? 🤣 No, he isn't always pissed off, but he did get pissed off VERY quickly. 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Karice said:

About Axl getting pissed off, there are some compilation videos of him being pissed off. A Fan said something like,"Isn't Axl ALWAYS pissed off? 🤣 No, he isn't always pissed off, but he did get pissed off VERY quickly. 🤣

He was actually in a great mood for most of the night, telling jokes and stories, and playing a prank on Bubbles. It might be hard to see, but he introduces Bubbles, who walks on stage at the same time as a Bubbles impersonator... :lol:

But then he had monitor issues during some songs, like during Better he ripped his IEM out and cursed out his sound guy.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He was actually in a great mood for most of the night, telling jokes and stories, and playing a prank on Bubbles. It might be hard to see, but he introduces Bubbles, who walks on stage at the same time as a Bubbles impersonator... :lol:

But then he had monitor issues during some songs, like during Better he ripped his IEM out and cursed out his sound guy.

The only Bubbles that comes to mind for me is Michael Jackson's Chimp. 💡🤔 About Axl cussing out his sound guy, I saw a shorts of Axl cussing out a sound guy! 👀 A Fan said something like,"I feel that Axl is out of line to be cussing out his sound guy right in front of Fans in the middle of a Concert. I feel Axl should have called a mini break and PRIVATELY cussed out the Sound guy backstage or something like that " 🤔

Edited by Karice

2 minutes ago, Karice said:

The only Bubbles that comes to mind for me is Michael Jackson's Chimp. 💡🤔 About Axl cussing out his sound guy, I saw a shorts of Axl cussing out the sound guy! 👀 A Fan said something like,"I feel that Axl is out of line to be cussing out his sound guy right in front of Fans in the middle of a Concert. I feel Axl should have called a mini break and PRIVATELY cussed out the Sound guy backstage or something like that " 🤔

He's from the Trailer Park Boys, a pretty famous Canadian tv show. Axl's a fan, and started bringing the 3 main guys on tour in 2006 or 2007... they've played Liquor & Whores (the song that starts at the end of that video) at least a dozen times. Sebastian Bach was in a couple episodes and debuted the song Love Is A Bitchslap on the show :lol:

6eb271bdac563f487f514a8c3ea93996.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He's from the Trailer Park Boys, a pretty famous Canadian tv show. Axl's a fan, and started bringing the 3 main guys on tour in 2006 or 2007... they've played Liquor & Whores (the song that starts at the end of that video) at least a dozen times. Sebastian Bach was in a couple episodes and debuted the song Love Is A Bitchslap on the show :lol:

6eb271bdac563f487f514a8c3ea93996.gif

Okay, thanks for informing me on who Bubbles is!   :hug:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Karice said:

DUFF threatened to kick someone's ass for throwing stuff at him? 😳 Usually that would be AXL making that threat, not Duff. 😳 Hmm. Was this before or after Duff got hit in the head with the glass bottle full of pee at a Guns N'Roses Concert and had to be rushed to the hospital? 🤔

Yes it was Duff.

He and slash were spitting and making threats to whoever it was. It was during a jam, Axl was off stage. Duff down the mic said something like, you wanna throw shit at me motherfucker, come up here and I will kick your ass. Then over the pa, Axl said something about Duff not having had a drink for 2 weeks and you best not piss him off.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ckgent said:

Yes it was Duff.

He and slash were spitting and making threats to whoever it was. It was during a jam, Axl was off stage. Duff down the mic said something like, you wanna throw shit at me motherfucker, come up here and I will kick your ass. Then over the pa, Axl said something about Duff not having had a drink for 2 weeks and you best not piss him off.

Wow! 😳 Duff is usually sweet, calm, mellow, laid back, etc. Duff threatening to kick someone's ass and Axl warning over the PA that someone hasn't had a drink in two weeks, so you best not piss him off seems like Duff and Axl switched personalities! 😳🤔💡👀

Edited by Karice

Mönchengladbach 🇩🇪 2012, i was 22 years old. It was my first concert in my life too (besides school & club stages). I had Meet N' Greet Ticket with Frank, Ashba, Dizzy and Bumblefoot and i was in the first row. It was a great experience and Axl Rose had so much coolness. Voice was stable, Pyros were cool. Great time. But my favourite concert gig was Hanover 🇩🇪 2017. Axl & Slash on the same stage was unbelievable, His voice was very very good, The rainthunder, guest appearence Angus Young for Riff Raff and Whole Lotta Rosie, great pyros, fireworks. I wish that would be my first concert^^ Hanover 2017 is my favourite live experience.

I was for Slash and Myles in Berlin 🇩🇪 2012 too.

My older brother and I got tickets for Rock Am Ring 2006, i was 16 years old and sadly my brother was sick and couldn't drive. I'm a GN'R fan since 2004 with 14.

Paris 1992, Hippodrome de Vincennes, average show.
Soundgarden was very energetic, was in front rows, almost lost a boot sole.
I didn't pay too much attention to Faith No More, my bad, they became one of my favourite bands, but I had to deal with a chick I wanted to date.

I had mixed emotions after the show, the band already changed so much.

Chicago 2011, with my dad. Skipped a college class to make it, which was a great decision. (I told my professor I couldn't make class due to a "prior engagement" :D )

We saw them again the following year in 2012 in Detroit, and again in Detroit in 2016. And the last time was Detroit in 2021. I'd say the 2021 show was during Covid, during those dark times. I was pleasantly surprised they toured then. It was a great show. I hope they return to Detroit in 2025. They didn't during the last tour. :( 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Chicago 2011, with my dad. Skipped a college class to make it, which was a great decision. (I told my professor I couldn't make class due to a "prior engagement" :D )

We saw them again the following year in 2012 in Detroit, and again in Detroit in 2016. And the last time was Detroit in 2021. I'd say the 2021 show was during Covid, during those dark times. I was pleasantly surprised they toured then. It was a great show. I hope they return to Detroit in 2025. They didn't during the last tour. :( 

You skipped class to see Guns N'Roses and told your College Professor that "Excuse?," 🤣🤭😏  Cute. 🤣🤭😏 It would have been funny if the Concert did a scan of the crowd and put you on the News in that scan of the Concert and your Professor said something like,"So, Guns N'Roses was your "Prior engagement," huh?" 🤣🤭😏 

I didn't know Guns N'Roses was touring in 2021. I thought they started Touring again in 2022. 🤔💡

Edited by Karice
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

2006 Manchester. IRS, Maddy, IZZY & The Blues when it was still The Blues, Insane vocals too. Amazing gig

Wait. Izzy was doing Concerts in 2006? 🤔🤨 I thought in 2006 Izzy wasn't doing anything musically. 🤔🤨

Minneapolis - 1991.  Soundgarden opened.  Guns ended after 2AM.  

Band's full tilt performance runs 2 1/2 hours.

By Jon Bream/Staff Writer

A review
Guns Ν’ Roses
Where:
 Target Center, Minneapolis.

Review: A dynamic, edgy performance by Axl Rose — the most exciting figure in rock music — combined with Slash’s emotional and versatile guitar work made the 2 1/2-hour concert Tuesday highly rewarding, although it was uneven.

Axl Rose, despite all his foibles, is worth it. At least he was Tuesday night at the Target Center. The lead singer of Guns N' Roses is the most exciting figure in rock at the moment. Onstage he was volatile, combustible, manic and crazed. His psychic energy was working overtime. He was mesmerizing and unpredictable; you had no idea what he would do next, and neither did he. Moreover, he was an effective singer, part heavy-metal banshee, part lowdown bluesman.

On Tuesday night, it was easy to forget what a pain in the butt Axl has been to his neighbors, his ex-wife, his band mates, the media, his record label, concert security workers, his home state, and the world at large. On Tuesday night he wasn't doing Blunders N' Poses. He came to rock with his heart and soul, though he did have one outburst at a fan waving an offensive message, and he did indulge in more costume changes than Cher. His dynamic, edgy performance combined with Slash's emotional and versatile guitar work made the 2 1/2 hour concert highly rewarding, although it was uneven.

Guns N' Roses may be America's biggest rock band, but it certainly isn't the best. Often times Tuesday the arrangements lacked focus and the band- Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Gilby and Matt- lacked road-tested tightness. (The drummer and rhythm guitarist have signed on within the last year; three horn players, two backup singers and a second keyboardist have been added for this tour.) GNR's material is inconsistent, embracing classics ("Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine") as well as clunkers, and their set was awkwardly paced.

Influenced by the Rolling Stones' music, style, image and excess, the Gunners showed a propensity for self-indulgence. They devoted a 15 minute segment to mindless solos by drummer Matt Sorum and Slash, and new rhythm guitarist Gilby Clarke joined Slash for an ineffective instrumental rendition of the Stones' "Wild Horses." Throughout the concert, Axl had the disconcerting habit of leaving the stage every time Slash played a solo, usually to return wearing a different shirt, coat or hat.

Axl and Slash, GNR's chief songwriting team, make an odd couple. Onstage, Axl is a hyperkinetic exhibitionist with an endless array of outfits, Slash an introspective musician lost in his music and obscured by curls hanging in his face. At times Slash strutted around the stage striking rock-star poses, but compared to Axl- well the manic mouthpiece darted around the ramps and runways at full speed leaping over speakers, monitors and Sorum's drum kit. Even during tender ballads, Axl scurried around at full tilt boogie.

The exceptional work of the live video-camera operators provided wonderful closeups of Axl's crazed eyes and Slash's facile but not flashy fingers, as well as the playing of the other musicians. (All 16,000 people got to see close-ups of Slash's tattoos.) The movements onstage were spontaneous, but the camera people stayed right on top of the action.

One of the most striking images the cameras captured was Axl sitting at the grand piano. He had sliced his right hand in an accident last week in Dayton, Ohio, after which GNR canceled two concerts. The hand was bandaged Tuesday, and he had extra padding around his thumb, which he removed when he sat at the piano. Here was this wild man, wearing a football jersey emblazoned with "Mean Machine," his sweaty long hair stuck to his stubble-covered face, playing a classical flourish on a grand piano that gave way to the tender ballad "November Rain."

Axl, 29, seemed a master of the outrageous juxtaposition. One moment he was doing a singing impression of TV's Mr. Rogers, and the next moment was impersonating Arnold Schwarzenegegger in "Terminator 2." One minute he was crooning his eerie version of Paul McCartney's "Live And Let Die" and the next he stopped, berating a concertgoer holding a sign and then ordering a security guard to remove the man; the next minute Axl announced, "Pick a place Slash man," and the song continued. Among the highlights in the first of GNR's two Target Center concerts (the second was last night) were the opening salvo of "Welcome to the Jungle," "Mr. Brownstone" and "Bad Obsession"; the multidimensional "Civil War"; the powerful "Sweet Child O' Mine"; the moody medium tempo "Estranged," and the closing pop-rock crunch of "Paradise City," after which, at 2:05 AM, Axl tossed roses to the crowd.

Opening the concert was Sound-garden, a Seattle quartet that sounded best when Its rhythm section provided Led Zeppelin-like rumble and the guitarists offered untrippy psychedelia.

• Like 2