How much is a sealed OG AfD worth?

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Sorry to make a thread for this, but I found a sealed and mint OG cover AfD at a local store. It’s $400. Is that ballpark or too much? I’m tempted 

I asked a VERY similar question, and I was completely ignored. I can't believe not even ONE person answered. 😵‍💫Here is the direct quote.

Karice.[Quote] "Hmm. As a side note to my hypothetical post about finding an ORIGINAL first run Appetite For Destruction album for $1, does anyone know how much an ORIGINAL first run Appetite For Destruction Album is worth? 🤔[/Quote]

Edited by Karice
  • Haha 1

Sorry to make a thread for this, but I found a sealed and mint OG cover AfD at a local store. It’s $400. Is that ballpark or too much? I’m tempted 

That's probably not too far off for a US pressing. I've seen NM copies go in auctions recently for $250-300. Sealed copies certainly add a premium, but also cause ringwear and possibly some damage to cover if the cellophane is tight and stuck to the sleeve. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I’m seeing banned cover still sealed going at $1500 USD on eBay :wow:

1,500 for the banned cover of AFD Album sealed? 😳😱 "It's a twister, it's a twister, run to the cellar!" 😳😱

Edited by Karice

2 hours ago, GoBucky said:

That's probably not too far off for a US pressing. I've seen NM copies go in auctions recently for $250-300. Sealed copies certainly add a premium, but also cause ringwear and possibly some damage to cover if the cellophane is tight and stuck to the sleeve. 

Thanks!

400 is an excellent price. Are there any hype stickers on the shrink?  There were a few different hype stickers. The oval one was the earliest and should go for a premium imo. It’s a good way to tell if it’s a first pressing or a later pressing. 

Edited by 1987b

20 minutes ago, 1987b said:

400 is an excellent price. Are there any hype stickers on the shrink?  There were a few different hype stickers. The oval one was the earliest and should go for a premium imo. It’s a good way to tell if it’s a first pressing or a later pressing. 

There is a hype sticker but I forgot which one. I may pick it up

13 hours ago, 1987b said:

Much better than paying $1,500! 👀

On 6/12/2024 at 10:00 PM, 1987b said:

I went back today. It’s the 1988 version with the Dead Pool sticker. It’s sealed but has a little promo cut in it which is lame. Still, I thought about it. Couldn’t justify 400 for another AfD, even if it’s an official OG one.

HOWEVER, he also had the Japanese live EP with the same cover from 1988 for $100 in immaculate shape! So I did not leave empty handed! I think $300 is my cap for an original AfD. Overall, I’m happy with the EP

• Like 2

Good call on going with the EP instead - that's a pretty massive outlay for one of the promo cuts to be included. Would you have just stuck it up for decoration or had it stored away? You can get a near mint copy of the original for relatively cheap and still get the benefit out of playing it - it all depends what you want to do with it though. I've got a great copy of the original and when I feel the need to play Appetite, which is very very rarely as it's been played to death over the decades, I'll throw on the 2018 remaster.

On 6/20/2024 at 4:58 AM, Dean said:

Good call on going with the EP instead - that's a pretty massive outlay for one of the promo cuts to be included. Would you have just stuck it up for decoration or had it stored away? You can get a near mint copy of the original for relatively cheap and still get the benefit out of playing it - it all depends what you want to do with it though. I've got a great copy of the original and when I feel the need to play Appetite, which is very very rarely as it's been played to death over the decades, I'll throw on the 2018 remaster.

Definitely will just store it. I don’t need a robot rape on the wall. My fiancé wouldn’t dig that either :lol:. I like collecting things and it would just be a cool novelty for me to have. I have plenty of other ways to play AfD. I wish I bought the sealed copy I found at a record store in the winter. No promo cut and it was $300. Oh well!

Definitely will just store it. I don’t need a robot rape on the wall. My fiancé wouldn’t dig that either :lol:. I like collecting things and it would just be a cool novelty for me to have. I have plenty of other ways to play AfD. I wish I bought the sealed copy I found at a record store in the winter. No promo cut and it was $300. Oh well!

$300 is a lot for a  single CD. 😵‍💫🤔💡 You could buy a Guns N'Roses Concert ticket and see them live for that price. 💡🤔

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Karice said:

$300 is a lot for a  single CD. 😵‍💫🤔💡 You could buy a Guns N'Roses Concert ticket and see them live for that price. 💡🤔

Yeah, record collecting can get pricey if you go after the rare stuff. The most I spent on an album was around $350 and it was a 5- LP set. I think I paid around that for the UYI box, too.

There’s not really a benefit to owning an original record like AfD except that it’s a cool novelty to have

Edited by ZoSoRose

12 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah, record collecting can get pricey if you go after the rare stuff. The most I spent on an album was around $350 and it was a 5- LP set. I think I paid around that for the UYI box, too.

There’s not really a benefit to owning an original record like AfD except that it’s a cool novelty to have

Was it GHS/XXXG 24148 ? I forgot I even had that one, still sealed. I have AFD on 4 different vinyl versions, 2 CDs, a couple of tapes. Thankfully I have a forgiving wife that puts up with my love for music!

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Was it GHS/XXXG 24148 ? I forgot I even had that one, still sealed. I have AFD on 4 different vinyl versions, 2 CDs, a couple of tapes. Thankfully I have a forgiving wife that puts up with my love for music!

I don’t remember! I will get one eventually

• Like 1

Hey all. Sorry for not seeing this post earlier and yours too, Karice. While the forums are popular and excellent places to post stuff and look for info, I would also recommend various Facebook groups. I understand some of you may choose not to use FB, and that is your business, but I would highly recommend the following FB groups as good places to look for and ask for information. You don't have to use the rest of FB, you can just check out these groups and then log off. The administrators (full disclosure, I am one of the admins for one of the groups) are pretty good at keeping it bullshit free and just to the topic (GNR) at hand. No politics, nonsense, etc.

First up is #GnFnR Fanspot #NotInThisLifeTime. Likely the biggest GNR group on there, a place for all things GNR related.

Then you have Guns N Roses Merchandise/Memorabilia. A great group for collecting.

Then there is Guns n'roses collectors. This is the group that I am one of the admins for. It ain't perfect, but really great for just focusing on GNR collecting, as well as GNR side projects.

Anyhow, I digress. Back to the issue at hand. The Appetite rape cover w/ the 1988 Deadpool sticker is sure as shit not the original pressing. It is the 2nd pressing. Still desirable of course. Here is the 1st edition, and the hype sticker (black oval sticker) you want to look for:

https://www.troccolitm.com/12AppUSOrig.html?1198049411198

Also, at the same time that was pressed, they also pressed the cross cover, since they know they would run into trouble with the other cover. Here is a cross cover with the oval hype sticker:

https://www.troccolitm.com/12AppCrossOrigSS.html

And the 2nd pressing rape cover with Deadpool hype sticker:

https://www.troccolitm.com/apporgss.html?1163931680718

And the cross cover with the Deadpool hype sticker:

https://www.troccolitm.com/appcensti.html?1163931196593

As for worth, that is up to each individual person, and of course, also dependent on condition and possible other factors (is it signed?; is it a promo?). That being said, in my opinion, if you found either sealed and in great condition, I think $400 is a fair price. I think $1500 is crazy unless signed perhaps.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, troccoli said:

Hey all. Sorry for not seeing this post earlier and yours too, Karice. While the forums are popular and excellent places to post stuff and look for info, I would also recommend various Facebook groups. I understand some of you may choose not to use FB, and that is your business, but I would highly recommend the following FB groups as good places to look for and ask for information. You don't have to use the rest of FB, you can just check out these groups and then log off. The administrators (full disclosure, I am one of the admins for one of the groups) are pretty good at keeping it bullshit free and just to the topic (GNR) at hand. No politics, nonsense, etc.

First up is #GnFnR Fanspot #NotInThisLifeTime. Likely the biggest GNR group on there, a place for all things GNR related.

Then you have Guns N Roses Merchandise/Memorabilia. A great group for collecting.

Then there is Guns n'roses collectors. This is the group that I am one of the admins for. It ain't perfect, but really great for just focusing on GNR collecting, as well as GNR side projects.

Anyhow, I digress. Back to the issue at hand. The Appetite rape cover w/ the 1988 Deadpool sticker is sure as shit not the original pressing. It is the 2nd pressing. Still desirable of course. Here is the 1st edition, and the hype sticker (black oval sticker) you want to look for:

Also, at the same time that was pressed, they also pressed the cross cover, since they know they would run into trouble with the other cover. Here is a cross cover with the oval hype sticker:

As for worth, that is up to each individual person, and of course, also dependent on condition and possible other factors (is it signed?; is it a promo?). That being said, in my opinion, if you found either sealed and in great condition, I think $400 is a fair price. I think $1500 is crazy unless signed perhaps.

@troccoli thanks! I was hoping you’d post! I joined all those groups :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, troccoli said:

$300-$400 for a single CD is CRAZY. You can go to a thrift store and buy it for like $3 at the most(I'm sure that there are a lot of people who were fans of Guns N'Roses in say 1987, but stopped being fans of them and donate their copies of Appetite For Destruction Album to thrift stores. For instance, I found a cassette of a Madonna Album from the 1980's for a QUARTER in a thrift store about 17 years ago and it was in VERY good condition. I'm pretty sure I can find a first run Appetite For Destruction Album in a thrift store for about $3 at the most. 😀💡🤔

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Karice said:

$300-$400 for a single CD is CRAZY. You can go to a thrift store and buy it for like $3 at the most(I'm sure that there are a lot of people who were fans of Guns N'Roses in say 1987, but stopped being fans of them and donate their copies of Appetite For Destruction Album to thrift stores. For instance, I found a cassette of a Madonna Album from the 1980's for a QUARTER in a thrift store about 17 years ago and it was in VERY good condition. I'm pretty sure I can find a first run Appetite For Destruction Album in a thrift store for about $3 at the most. 😀💡🤔

Collecting mint copies of albums and things for mad money has never appealed to me either, but Troccoli  has some amazing stuff, I have some tour programs but nothing on this level https://www.troccolitm.com/Books.html :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karice said:

It’s like anything, it depends how rare something is. Vinyl is usually more expensive than a CD and a 1st or 2nd pressed AfD with the original cover is going to be a lot harder to find than many other records

• Like 1

It’s like anything, it depends how rare something is. Vinyl is usually more expensive than a CD and a 1st or 2nd pressed AfD with the original cover is going to be a lot harder to find than many other records

My local thrift store sells/sold lots of Vinyl albums. 😀 I'm sure lots of former Guns N'Roses Fans will or have donated Vinyl albums from Guns N'Roses to thrift stores. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karice said:

I went back and reread the OP and the replies, and it's not entirely your fault that you don't know what we are talking about. We are talking about vinyl, not cd. Also, the rape cover was never issued on cd in the US.

Also, here is what I actually said: "That being said, in my opinion, if you found either sealed and in great condition, I think $400 is a fair price.". I clarified that it is only my opinion. Earlier in my post I had also stated that value/worth is subjective. Also, in this quoted sentence I said I think that price is fair for sealed and in great condition. If you find this sealed and in great condition at a thrift store, I can only assure you that would be an anomaly, and truly great luck for you.

Edited by troccoli

15 minutes ago, troccoli said:

I went back and reread the OP and the replies, and it's not entirely your fault that you don't know what we are talking about. We are talking about vinyl, not cd. Also, the rape cover was never issued on cd in the US.

Also, here is what I actually said: "That being said, in my opinion, if you found either sealed and in great condition, I think $400 is a fair price.". I clarified that it is only my opinion. Earlier in my post I had also stated that value/worth is subjective. Also, in this quoted sentence I said I think that price is fair for sealed and in great condition. If you find this sealed and in great condition at a thrift store, I can only assure you that would be an anomaly, and truly great luck for you.

Yep, I thought you were talking about a CD and didn't know it was vinyl until someone straight up directly told me it was vinyl that this thread is about and I responded about thrift stores selling vinyl. 😀 Finding a sealed vinyl iof Appetite For Destruction Album with the controversial album cover in a thrift store would truly be a lucky thing like you pointed out. 😀 

• Like 1