Shallow song .. A possible explanation (could be by Stuart Bailey)

Posted (edited)

You remember the 'your looks are gone' song? Obviously it's unknown if it's real or anything and the tape recording is just noise, well i managed to remove quite a bit of that.

See what you think....there are a lot of words..& I mean a lot. It's clear there is another singer behind the main singer on what sounds like the chorus. I did type some lyrics here but now realise I was way off lol.

The chorus is when your looks are gone where you gonna run too?

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

You remember the 'your looks are gone' song? Obviously it's unknown if it's real or anything and the tape recording is just noise, well i managed to remove quite a bit of that.

See what you think....there are a lot of words..& I mean a lot. It's clear there is another singer behind the main singer on what sounds like the chorus.

opening word's sound like 

Girl I'm Your Guy
When you cock it by the hand you gotta make it the lies
Don't it take the hit? so cry 
The body of a man, they think ya never die
(chorus/ with backing vocals)
Get them dumped up on the hill
You've got the time to die

That's definitely the clearest I've ever heard the vocals on this track! It's hard to tell with how low quality the original track is, and with the lower end of Axl's voice. But with the track cleaned up like that, it's sounding somewhat closer to Axl than the original uncleaned version. It could always be a random singer we know nothing about. But if someone presented me with the track, and asked me to pick if the singer sounded more like Jon Bon Jovi, or Axl, I'd lean towards Axl.

If it's GnR or Axl related, it has to be an era that Tracii wasn't in, since someone asked him about it, and Tracii didn't know about it. https://old.reddit.com/r/TheMysteriousSong/comments/oxdhmb/unknown_80s_glam_rock_song_your_looks_are_gone/

On another note, someone on another older mygnr thread mentioned an uncirculated 1985 rehearsal tape.

Edited by BucketEgg

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

That's definitely the clearest I've ever heard the vocals on this track! It's hard to tell with how low quality the original track is, and with the lower end of Axl's voice. But with the track cleaned up like that, it's sounding somewhat closer to Axl than the original uncleaned version. It could always be a random singer we know nothing about. But if someone presented me with the track, and asked me to pick if the singer sounded more like Jon Bon Jovi, or Axl, I'd lean towards Axl.

Sounds like his low voice, backing vocals kind of sound like a young Izzy. Ill carry on working on it. Also those don't sound like real drums but a drum machine, maybe like the one from the West Arkeen tape demo

Edited by Rindmelon

Is this page the origin for When Your Looks Are Gone started circulating online?

(Tracii isn't listed in the lineup. That's possibly why he knows nothing about the song.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20030303075720/http://www.stormpages.com/hollyrose/rose.html

Are "Hollywood Woes" and "Tell me" songs we already know but by a different name?

Text from the site:

Hollywood Rose 23 March 1984 by SJ
Dedicated to Leo from Rio
7Axl.jpg

People nowadays have a few bootlegs and think that they know every thing about Guns N' Roses. When the truth is that they know nothing. People ask what is the earliest GN'R bootleg? Is it 85 or 86 or what? There is no real answer because what do you consider to be Guns N' Roses. Guns N' Roses like all bands recorded every gig they ever played, if you look hard enough you will find them. I keep on getting bootlegs earlier and earlier all the time. Some people doubt the existence of early bootlegs just because they have not got them. I have three bootlegs of Hollywood Rose in 84, and I thought that it was the earliest; but it as came to my attention that there is at least two bootlegs of the band Rose. The problem is with early bootlegs, is of their originality and origin.

So why are they so hard to find?

The Guns N' Roses bootleg underground...That why!! I know someone that has a video of Guns N' Roses in 85 pre Slash and Steven but is reluctant to give copies because it decrease the value. Because of new technology more and more people have bootlegs and the original bootlegs lose they value. Up until I had the internet I had over 300 bootlegs on cassette, I now have over a 100 on CD but so has everyone else.

I don't usually make mp3s of my rare bootlegs but I have been recently judged by someone who doubts me so I will give you a sample of an early bootleg.

HOLLYWOOD ROSE - LOOKS ARE GONE (LINK DOESN'T WORK) This recording is originally from a cassette so is of minimal quality. I have encoded it in 320kbps at 44Khz to get the best quality possible it is 7.75MB and is 3.22 mins and zipped. I advise to listen to it in winamp with the equalizer on to get the best sound.

This is a alleged Hollywood Rose song, that is called "Looks are gone" from a March 1984 bootleg called Hollywood Rose in the Cathouse. The bootleg is of a 28 minute set of six songs.

The Band was made up of:-

Axl Rose - Vocals
Izzy Stradlin - Vocals and Guitar
Chris Weber - Lead Guitar
Paul Jewry - Bass
Chaz Kavana - Drums

This was the period when Anything Goes, Shadow Of My Love and Back Off Bitch where written, and appear on this Bootleg with three other songs called Hollywood Woes, Tell me and " Looks are gone (the above zip file)".

If you want to swap a rare bootleg for anything GN'R that I have not got, come and find me. If you want to swap bad enough you will find me, you have to work hard to get what you want - SJ

Edited by BucketEgg
tracii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Amazing work @BucketEgg If that person is telling the truth then it is Rose, I thought the backing vocals were izzy..

I should have a listenable version of the song to share on Saturday..

'Girl that's your guide
When you copped yourself a man you gotta make it alive
and gonna taste your lips so dry
& buy you a man who thinks you never lie' (or something like that, hard to tell lol)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@BucketEgg @daub I don't think I can clear it up anymore than this. The guitar sound is horrible but you can at least hear it a bit better. At first I thought there was just one guitar player here but now I'm not so sure. At 2.10 you can here someone do a pinched harmonic on guitar and I really doubt that is Izzy so it's possibly Chris Webber.

Would love to hear Hollywood Woe's and Tell Me if the original uploader see's this, PM me if your still around.

the song is no longer on this site but it was at some stage along with a live version it the title's are to be believed https://freelistenonline.com/artist/Hollywood+Rose

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Thanks 1

Regarding this thread about Bootleg
I found this website on the Internet that describes Hollywood Rose concerts in 1984
https://gunsnrosesfriends.foroactivo.com/f30-shows-pre-gn-r-1984

It is partially described here that some concerts have audio recordings

[16/06/84] Madame Wong's East - Los Angeles, California, USA

[28/06/84] Madame Wong's East - Los Angeles, California, USA.

[05/10/84] Troubador - Hollywood, California. USA.

[20/07/84] Madame Wong's East - Los Angeles, California, USA.

[13/10/84] Troubador - Hollywood, California. USA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daub said:

Regarding this thread about Bootleg
I found this website on the Internet that describes Hollywood Rose concerts in 1984
https://gunsnrosesfriends.foroactivo.com/f30-shows-pre-gn-r-1984

It is partially described here that some concerts have audio recordings

[16/06/84] Madame Wong's East - Los Angeles, California, USA

[28/06/84] Madame Wong's East - Los Angeles, California, USA.

[05/10/84] Troubador - Hollywood, California. USA.

[20/07/84] Madame Wong's East - Los Angeles, California, USA.

[13/10/84] Troubador - Hollywood, California. USA.

Interesting looking site, never seen it before. The dates for these shows probably come from Marc Canter. There is some live stuff for Hollywood Rose out there but I don't know if those shows are, or if they I have not heard them. Some of the information that site has on CD era stuff looks wrong which makes me wonder how accurate information on other era's are. Will have a look through when I have time.

I do know Killing Time from 1984-01-17 - Troubadour is out there & so is a tape of them rehearsing Cold Hard Cash and other songs (none of those songs sound like Shalla or any of the others from the other tape though)

13 hours ago, daub said:

According to this website https://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm84.htm there are no recordings of HR concerts

No known recordings. He stopped updating that site a long time ago. He also had shows listed as no recording even though he hoards them. So not the most reliable site. Basically that could be used back in the day for publicly traded shows. 

On 7/20/2024 at 6:56 PM, Rindmelon said:

@BucketEgg @daub I don't think I can clear it up anymore than this. The guitar sound is horrible but you can at least hear it a bit better. At first I thought there was just one guitar player here but now I'm not so sure. At 2.10 you can here someone do a pinched harmonic on guitar and I really doubt that is Izzy so it's possibly Chris Webber.

Would love to hear Hollywood Woe's and Tell Me if the original uploader see's this, PM me if your still around.

the song is no longer on this site but it was at some stage along with a live version it the title's are to be believed https://freelistenonline.com/artist/Hollywood+Rose

There's been a few attempts at restoring Your Looks Are Gone's audio on Youtube, but I think this is the first one I've come across that mainly focuses on the vocals. It's hard to hear the background singer on the original audio, but you can hear him a bit better here.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Thanks 1