Did Guns N Roses reject the movie School Of Rock from using their music or something?

Posted (edited)

just watched that movie for the first time in a long time, there is no GNR music in the movie and on the soundtrack, but one thing I noticed there is a blackboard scene in which the the teacher (Jack Black) lists like a hundred different acts who all helped define Rock N Roll and I am 99% sure I didn't see GNR on there, considering how popular GNR was I can't imagine that was a mistake, did GNR deny the movie from using their music and as their little revenge they just didn't include GNR in any aspects of the movie? there was also no GNR Stickers and Posters like you saw from other bands.

Edited by k12

23 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

School of Rock came out in 2003, a time when Axl vetoed licensing their music to many movies. He was a bit peculiar about this. Duff and Slash sued him over this in 2004, claiming he had no right to stop licensing since - they claimed - he had left the partnership. In their lawsuit they mentioned some movies that could have contained GN'R music if it weren't for Axl blocking it: "“Black Hawk Down," “Just Married," “We Were Soldiers," “Death to Smoochy," "Old School” and others." 

I thought only IZZY left the Partnership and took a big payout. (Izzy later claimed that he would come back to Guns N'Roses if he gets a HUGE slice of the Guns N'Roses money pie so to speak. 💡🤣) 💡🤔 I don't see AXL leaving the Partnership as he is the head honcho in charge and main owner of Guns N'Roses rights, name, ownership, royalties, etc. 💡🤔

Problem with a band you love is that the general populace only likes 1-3 songs. They listen to them as much as you listen to their whole catalogue so a big fan gets overexposure to those 1-3 songs. As a result I kinda liked that period of limited licencing. I remember when I saw Megamind when it popped up on tv. Knew nothing about it which I like doing for films now and then. Was enjoying the ride of it and when that beginning of Junge started, it played out as a cool surprise making me like the film more. It just fit somehow. That was in part due to it not being overused. Now I just hate their top songs popping up more n more and find it jarring. I only like to hear Sweet Child in its entirety. Only exception ever was that beautiful rendition for Westworld. 

• Like 1

GNR music has been featured in A LOT of movies, some expected and some not.

The Program 

Can't Hardly Wait

Terminator II

Rock of Ages

Sympathy for the Devil

End of Days

Body of Lies

Cape Fear

Days of Thunder

Black Hawk Down 

Big Daddy

The Dead Pool

I'm sure I'm missing many, as well.

There is no school of rock without GNR. AFD is one of the biggest turning points of Rock Music, and UYI made them the biggest band on the planet.  91-93 World Tour was on news channels, not only on music channels, worldwide EVERY DAY. 

With the shittiest management, most estranged frontman ever, no pr, no album, and no real band around for years, GNR still made it huge, and even surpassed 1bn views regarding the 80s songs, 90s songs and songs before 2000 on youtube, made the biggest rock tour and stuff with no real marketing or promotion.

I cant effin believe and stop feeling sorry how they wasted a colossal amount of talent and years. If they kept the wheels rolling non stop, they would have every positive record in music.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

There is no school of rock without GNR.

Well that just is not true. GNR were/are big, but they were never really an innovative or revolutionary force, creatively. They played hard, blues- based rock when people were getting sick of glossy, VH- cloned hair metal. I agree that nobody sounds exactly like them, but they weren't a Beatles, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, or Nirvana in terms of influence. I'd even argue that some other bands of the era got kind of close sound- wise like Cinderella, Tesla, Skid Row, and Great White. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

There is no school of rock without GNR. AFD is one of the biggest turning points of Rock Music, and UYI made them the biggest band on the planet.  91-93 World Tour was on news channels, not only on music channels, worldwide EVERY DAY. 

With the shittiest management, most estranged frontman ever, no pr, no album, and no real band around for years, GNR still made it huge, and even surpassed 1bn views regarding the 80s songs, 90s songs and songs before 2000 on youtube, made the biggest rock tour and stuff with no real marketing or promotion.

I cant effin believe and stop feeling sorry how they wasted a colossal amount of talent and years. If they kept the wheels rolling non stop, they would have every positive record in music.

I think the movie School Of Rock would still exist without Guns N' Roses. It is a Jack Black early 2000s comedy vehicle. 

Unless we find out that Jack Black's parents met at a Guns N' Roses concert or something. I don't think the time frames line up. Maybe someone could DM him on Twitter and ask. 

• Like 2

AFD was a game changer, and there is nothing like UYI in rock history. GNR is simply ignored, cuz they are cool to be hated, and they were never liked by the press, they just HAD to cover them. When it comes to influencing the following bands, GNR was a unique band, noone could play and live like them, cuz they were too good, and real. There are hundreds of bands like bs, vh, beatles, nirvana, acdc....but not one like GNR. Well some snippets of A7X maybe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

I think the movie School Of Rock would still exist without Guns N' Roses. It is a Jack Black early 2000s comedy vehicle. 

Unless we find out that Jack Black's parents met at a Guns N' Roses concert or something. I don't think the time frames line up. Maybe someone could DM him on Twitter and ask. 

I mean a hypothetical school of rock, not the movie :) its jack blacks movie and he can do whatever he wants with it. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

GNR music has been featured in A LOT of movies, some expected and some not.

The Program 

Can't Hardly Wait

Terminator II

Rock of Ages

Sympathy for the Devil

End of Days

Body of Lies

Cape Fear

Days of Thunder

Black Hawk Down 

Big Daddy

The Dead Pool