How do we like The General & Monsters back to back today

I listen to both of them regularly. Monsters is great. Obviously The General didn't live up to its expectations and I think the song had much more potential, but I still like it. Don't understand the extreme hate it gets here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chorrada said:

I listen to both of them regularly. Monsters is great. Obviously The General didn't live up to its expectations and I think the song had much more potential, but I still like it. Don't understand the extreme hate it gets here.

Agree completely.

• Like 2

I have a compilation called cd 2 with the four new singles, atlas, monsters, state of grace and oh my god and listen to it regularly. 
Monsters is very good, the general could have been better but I do like it.

9 hours ago, chorrada said:

I don't think it's extreme hate, it's more extreme indifference.

I think there's a pocket of fans here that love those new songs, and then there's the other side that are still waiting on a great song from the band... As it is I don't think there's a great song in the bunch, Perhaps is the best of the bunch.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

I have a compilation called cd 2 with the four new singles, atlas, monsters, state of grace and oh my god and listen to it regularly. 
Monsters is very good, the general could have been better but I do like it.

I have the same, but also with Eye on You and Going Down

I love both songs and listen to them regularly. They're better than many of the tracks on Chinese Democracy, and I consider them among the best GNR songs.
it's very encouraging for the upcoming album, and I hope it's an indicator of the level of songwriting.
we should be in for a great GNR album.

and no I'm not Beta neither :bitchfight:

• Haha 1

The General is awful and I never listen to it. Monsters isn't that great either, but it's at least a bit better than The General. So, I listen to it now and again.

On 7/21/2024 at 12:30 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

The version I've still got is called The General & Monsters V3... it's stitched together using the orchestral parts from soundboard recordings. The General works in that context as an album track, but it was never really a big gun. It's kind of amazing that The General ended up being even more underwhelming than Atlas.

Monsters is so good that it could be the closing track on their last album. Most GNR albums have great closers, and Monsters is at that level. By far the best song we've heard from this lineup.

I would imagine The General was a big gun at one point but has been shortened while it was reworked. 

I like both songs. The general was a nice suprise since nothing ever leaked and i'm glad that we got the vienna clip song. 

Now i'm looking forward to the next big guns leaking or being released. Hopefully cuban skies/soul monster/se7en/ides of march leak this year so we have most of cd2.

Edited by Dummy

Honestly, of the 5 new songs, I still like Hard Skool the most. Then Perhaps, Monsters, The General and lastly Absurd. 

It's all been pretty average if you ask me. The best song in a list of average songs....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I would imagine The General was a big gun at one point but has been shortened while it was reworked. 

We know Monsters was shortened, but I doubt The General was. There's really not much substance to it, maybe it once had a longer intro or something... but Ii turned out to be over-hyped, and was likely never an A-list song tbh. Monsters we know had another section before the solo, at least.

10 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Had Monsters on yesterday great track, love the bassline.

Me too! It's probably the only thing better on that version over the 2010 (or whatever CD-era version) At least they got the bass right in the NITL versions of the CD2 songs when everything else is mixed horribly. My main complaint with the 2008 album's mixing was the bass guitar was too low except for perhaps If The World, where Chris is on bass, he probably cranked it because it was his most notable contribution to that album. (Just kidding, Chris is great) 

I hope the eventual released Monsters is a little cleaner sounding. The General was, slightly. Ideally, they would have a capable 3rd party mix and master Monsters, like they did with Perhaps. Though the transition from robin's 2-second guitar solo to Slash's was horrendous. They either needed to keep Robin's solo, and extend it out with Slash, or had Slash play it in a higher pitch like Robin's so they could have blended them better. The later part of Slash's solo on that song sounded better.

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I hope the eventual released Monsters is a little cleaner sounding. The General was, slightly. Ideally, they would have a capable 3rd party mix and master Monsters, like they did with Perhaps. Though the transition from robin's 2-second guitar solo to Slash's was horrendous. They either needed to keep Robin's solo, and extend it out with Slash, or had Slash play it in a higher pitch like Robin's so they could have blended them better. The later part of Slash's solo on that song sounded better.

Or they could just cut Robins two seconds. Nobody needs them

• Like 1

Are my ears not working right? MYGNR Forum Posters were saying stuff like," The Official The General Release has a HORRIBLE mix l. Are we sure that Guns N'Roses wanted to release this horrible mix of The General? It sounds AWFUL!" To MY ears, The General sounds good, not like it was horribly mixed. 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

And Robins two seconds changed that?

My guess is they kept the first bit of Robin’s solo because it’s carries over from Axl’s vocals very well. The transition to Slash from Robin was jarring. Almost funny how it takes you out of the song for a bit.