How do we like The General & Monsters back to back today

5 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Can somebody explain to me what the drum clipping criticism is all about?

When audio is pushed "too loud", i.e. past the volume bounds of what is literally possible in a digital realm, it causes what it is called clipping where the signal literally gets "clipped" and cut off.  The more you push the track past the boundries, the more it cuts off the audio information that goes past the threshold

The ending result is crackling sounds, very similar to the popping and crackling you would hear if a pair of cheap headphones or speakers are blown out - except it is literally embedded into the audio file

"Death Magnetic" by Metallica is a great example of hearing clipping all over the place.  Typically producers/mixers do it because they sacrifice the quality of the audio in favor of making things seem "louder" and the perception of it being more powerful as a result. 

Going back to GNR, on the officially released version of The General there is the crackles/pops present on loud drum hits that are the classic symptom of compressing the hell out of a track and cranking it way too hot

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Can somebody explain to me what the drum clipping criticism is all about?

The made the song so loud, that the drums (think of the song as a sound wave) were cranked too high to where their “waves” got clipped, in other words, outside of the audio spectrum in play. It is easier to demo in audio software rather than explain. Just imagine increasing the decibels of a sound wave too much, you see the waves getting taller and taller as the volume is increased, until they run off the screen. The missing data that is off the screen can’t be heard anymore and created a “popping” sound that I and others hear in both the leak and official release. Metallica did this on Death Magnetic, they said it was intentional. It’s a rookie mistake, and is the opposite of how they mixed Chinese, where they went with full dynamics. You ever notice how some CDs are louder than others? That’s because some are louder because it’s almost a “war” where people want their music to sound the loudest, but it hurts the music, and not just because of the risk of clipping. Even on the Perhaps CD, The General is annoyingly louder than Perhaps and the volume needs to be adjusted lower when The General comes on. If Guns ever does a new album and includes some or these singles, they will need to be remixed and remastered along with the other tracks on the CD, but with this band, who knows. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I think I haven’t listened to TG since its video came out. 

Same.  I really like monsters and would love to hear a real studio version.  TG is average at best, IMO.

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I think I haven’t listened to TG since its video came out. 

There's an official The General music video? 🤔 The only The General music video I saw was fan made and was just The General playing with a black screen. 😏

2 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

Same.  I really like monsters and would love to hear a real studio version.  TG is average at best, IMO.

What do you mean real studio version?

Just like the leak of The General, we've heard a low-quality version of the final product. The released version will sound better of course, but it will be the same mix of the same version of the song...

It kind of reminds me of the early Better leaks - low quality mp3's, but it was still obviously a good song.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Karice said:

There's an official The General music video? 🤔 The only The General music video I saw was fan made and was just The General playing with a black screen. 😏

There is an official AI generated music video for The General. 
It should be easy to find it on YouTube

47 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

There is an official AI generated music video for The General. 
It should be easy to find it on YouTube

Maybe that's the music video I was thinking of. Just a black screen with The General playing could have been AI Generated. 🤷‍♀️🤔💡

Just now, Karice said:

Maybe that's the music video I was thinking of. Just a black screen with The General playing could have been AI Generated. 🤷‍♀️🤔💡

No, it was more like an animated Nightmare of a kid. Not just a black screen.

When I FIRST listened to The General I thought it sounded GOOD but I listened to it while being on a busy traffic Street. The SECOND time, I listened to The General, it was a MUCH quieter time and I thought,"The General sounds AWFUL. Axl's voice is FIGHTING with the music and it sounds JARRING, not GOOD . 🥴😵‍💫😳🥶☢️😱🤨 Listening while a bunch of noisy cars are passing by and listening in a much quieter time was night and day! 😱

Edited by Karice

I love The General. More so because I think it means something to Axl - it’s like he’s telling a story of his childhood and how he he has transcended those troubles (or attempted to).

Do I prefer Monsters? Yes, it’s more of a mainstream hit.

Edited by gavgnr

I'm loving The General much more than I used to. It's really grown on me since it's been released and I play it a lot. I do agree Monsters is a better track and it's a shame it hasn't been officially released yet. I think The General would have worked better as a b-side to Monsters as opposed to Perhaps but get that Perhaps is a more accessible song. Wouldn't be surprised if Monsters ends up as the b-side for Atlas when they next tour. 

We should start a petition to release Monsters as a Halloween single - it would make perfectly sense and hoped they should do it last year. 

But one year late is the normal for GNR so maybe this year...

A halloween themed video with some shots of the band members as well, let Rob Zombie direct it! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betterman said:

We should start a petition to release Monsters as a Halloween single - it would make perfectly sense and hoped they should do it last year. 

But one year late is the normal for GNR so maybe this year...

A halloween themed video with some shots of the band members as well, let Rob Zombie direct it! :)

That would be really cool. 

And that's why it won't happen.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 9:56 AM, F*ck Fear said:

I listened to The General a few times when it first came out and haven't listened to it since. It's a very shit song, imo.

It is. The General sounds AWFUL. I couldn't hear how AWFUL it REALLY sounds when I listened to it with a lot of noisy traffic, I thought,"The General sounds GOOD!" 😇😀🤭🥰😍🤩😜but when I FULLY heard it on a quiet day, I thought,"My God, the General sounds AWFUL! 😱😵‍💫🥶🤨😳☢️🥴

Edited by Karice