Axl Rose at Billy Joel concert

5 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

He is in his 70s, we just have to accept that this is what he can do at this point. 

It's a shame that he doesn't write new music. Guns' could go to the studio and do a back to basics album with songs that he could have less trouble singing. 

With that said, nobody wants new music live. He's in a tough situation because their back catalogue that people want to hear are all based on a type of singing that was likely hard in his prime - and now as a senior citizen it's unreasonable for people to complain or expect him to sound like that. 

Realistically, they need to assemble a band with strong backup vocals that they can mix in to cover his blindspot. There are some NuGNR shows on Youtube where the ensemble vocals are mixed high. Ironically, Axl was still a stronger vocalist during these shows. The point is, having multiple vocalists do each line helps cover for some of his decline, and he can still be mixed the highest live. It just adds more depth to the vocals. 

I've been critical of the band as a cash grab in the past and wondered if Axl tried hard to get into stage shape, because while it's extremely difficult at his age, we're talking about asking people to pay top dollar for what is supposed to be an elite live product. With that said, I think that ship has sailed. There were always conspiracies about him "not trying" in Guns, because the videos online of him killing it in AC/DC floated around - but watching this video of him with Billy Joel, I suspect this is Axl's version of trying hard. Which if this is the best he can genuinely do, good for him, there is nothing wrong with it - but fans need to be realistic at this point about what they're paying for when they give $200 to see a bunch of 70 year olds play the "U Put Me In A Home N Ur' Out Of The Will Out 2 Get Me" tour. 

Dude, get it right, he's 62.

5 hours ago, Draguns said:

He's 62. Not 70s. He's the same age as Jon Bon Jovi.  GNR members are either late 50s or early 60s. No one in the band is 70.  Rather than post nonsense, research first. 

Please don't disparage senior citizens. There is nothing wrong with being 70. You should volunteer with the elderly. They can tell you stories about times that no longer exist. Which is a good allegory for paying to see Guns N' Roses sing hit songs from the 80s. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Dude, get it right, he's 62.

Even if he is, what would be wrong with him being 70? Why is it offensive that I got his age wrong? 

I think it's a shame that you will no longer support Axl once he hits a certain age. This is pure ageism. I for one will remain a fan and celebrate their live show well into whatever age Axl decides to keep rocking for us!

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

They are friends and I suppose they text from time to time, especially when they both happen to be in the same area. And now Axl probably just happened to be in New York for another reason, so Billy Joel asked him to guest at the show.

Sheila Kennedy case -_-

Guys when this got going it's pretty decent! 

BUT Axl forgot which artist he duet'd with to promote his upcoming September single! 🙄

I guess promo starts now! Maybe he could actually perform his cut live in a couple of months? 

I like the later half energy here and just nice to see him and Billy have a blast and continue their friendship! Slash has had one impact on Axl since reunion, he's shown him what a guest spot is 😝

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

They are friends and I suppose they text from time to time, especially when they both happen to be in the same area. And now Axl probably just happened to be in New York for another reason, so Billy Joel asked him to guest at the show.

Hopefully Billy told him how he wrote a new song after so long and it actually did pretty darn well! Get Axl in an NYC studio for a Billy / Axl piano men duet. Be cool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

BUT Axl forgot which artist he duet'd with to promote his upcoming September single! 🙄

I guess promo starts now! Maybe he could actually perform his cut live in a couple of months? 

I like the later half energy here and just nice to see him and Billy have a blast and continue their friendship! Slash has had one impact on Axl since reunion, he's shown him what a guest spot is 😝

The guy looks like a star here. 

Inspired me to take out the kettlebell. 

33 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Seriously, that was awesome. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

He looks great. He generally dresses pretty cool for these one-off appearances. However, I think some continued changes are needed for the next tour if he wants to keep what's left of his voice. Shorter sets, more rearranged melodies to work better with his lower voice (which is still in excellent condition), and save the highs for basically Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise.

I've been saying it for a while, they should cut the shows down and save the high vocals for those songs and some other specific moments. But of course people who can't grasp that quality is more important than quantity always come back with 'WhY wOuLd YoU wAnT tO sEe A sHoRtEr ShOw!?'

He sounds about as good as I expected... I certainly wouldn't call it 'great' or 'amazing' lol, but it's a fun moment that would've been cool to see live.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, vloors said:

Sounded better than last few gnr tours.

Heres the full video 

Man Axl commands every stage he's on ... But oh boy were those screams weak ... I don't think I've ever heard such flat and lacking power LALD screams before ... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I wasn't that impressed with the vocal performance, but then again, Axl probably didn't do the hours-long warm up routine he would ordinarily do for GN'R shows. He was probably going on stage cold, which of course makes his voice weaker.

He was at soundcheck and everything... this is just how he sounds now.

GTYQ59sXsAAswnD?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Man Axl commands every stage he's on ... But oh boy were those screams weak ... I don't think I've ever heard such flat and lacking power LALD screams before ... 

When I watched the LALD video I was hoping he wouldn't do the screams in this setting...stopped watching after the first one. :D

25 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I see Jimmy Fallon was there, wonder if he used the chance to try and snag Axl for another interview at some point or if there may be some proshot clips on his show or something

I'd literally rather have no Axl interview than an Axl interview with Jimmy Fallon. Can't stand that guy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've been saying it for a while, they should cut the shows down and save the high vocals for those songs and some other specific moments. But of course people who can't grasp that quality is more important than quantity always come back with 'WhY wOuLd YoU wAnT tO sEe A sHoRtEr ShOw!?'

He sounds about as good as I expected... I certainly wouldn't call it 'great' or 'amazing' lol, but it's a fun moment that would've been cool to see live.

I think 2 hours is good. i would love 3 hours but it is too much once 60+ with axls vocals. 90 minutes is ripping off the fans. just get rid of a couple of the higher ones, adjust a couple to lower register and save the 4/5 most important for the high pitch big rasp effort. 

• Like 2

https://nypost.com/2024/07/26/entertainment/billy-joel-says-goodbye-to-his-madison-square-garden-residency-going-down-as-a-one-man-franchise/

It would’ve been nice to hear Joel at least croon his great new tune “Turn the Lights Back On,” his first new single in what feels like 100 years, which was released five months ago

But perhaps the biggest disappointment was the strange special guest Axl Rose, who wailed the Guns n’ Roses classic “Live and Let Die” (well) and the AC/DC one “Highway to Hell” (not so well), then returned for a “You May Be Right” encore with Joel.

Where was Paul McCartney? Where was Elton John? Where was freaking Jon Bon Jovi?

• Like 1