Axl Rose at Billy Joel concert

On 10/13/2024 at 9:15 AM, k12 said:

Looks like Axl made another appearance for LALD at Billys Los Angeles show

Very rough (read: thin) first few seconds but it got progressively better. He needs to change something about this whippy falsetto, the rest was good! The crowd screamed everytime he used his strong voice.

I wonder if or why Axl doesn't choose to play GNR songs at these shows, maybe he thinks cuz it is a slightly older audience they aren't into it, maybe Billy only would play with these songs, for the show in July the audience was kind of subdued for Highway to Hell but I can guarantee they would have been very into it if they played WTTJ or Paradise or something

41 minutes ago, k12 said:

I wonder if or why Axl doesn't choose to play GNR songs at these shows, maybe he thinks cuz it is a slightly older audience they aren't into it, maybe Billy only would play with these songs, for the show in July the audience was kind of subdued for Highway to Hell but I can guarantee they would have been very into it if they played WTTJ or Paradise or something

Because it's not really that kind of show? Billy already does Highway To Hell and LALD is a classic piano-driven cover... it's different with Carrie Underwood because she's been playing GNR covers for decades.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, k12 said:

My guess is Axl doesn't want to play GN'R songs without the rest of the band, like in the Looney Tunes episode. 

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

Very rough (read: thin) first few seconds but it got progressively better. He needs to change something about this whippy falsetto, the rest was good! The crowd screamed everytime he used his strong voice.

Honestly, a lot of the problems can be navigated by changing the keys....allowing him to stay closer to his "strong" voice and adding more power and drive....

It would make a hell of a difference and no shame!

I remember when Muse brought back Showbiz and Matt took it down octave step, even a half...it still rocked hard and he could do the screams like that...it's no shame to do it, artists much younger have!

Ha, Axl has never recorded with plans to probably play well Into his 60s....unfortunately he hasn't much recent voice studio materials, so he's stuck with mostly a catalogue form his youth which is quite unique...

He did say himself, why the fuck did I record that bridge in YCBM....not remembering I'll have to sing this live every night! 😜

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

My guess is Axl doesn't want to play GN'R songs without the rest of the band, like in the Looney Tunes episode. 

My guess is he's gotten to a point where he has more fun playing covers of songs he likes. Let WTTJ, SCOM and PC have become his "boring day job", and those covers he plays now and then are the part of the set he has fun with.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, axlvai said:

And still tryin that high falsetto... go down Axl!!! Listen your fans, not the yes man.

In general, artists don't listen to fans.  They produce their art (which live singing is performance art) and either the audience likes it and pays for it or they don't.  They don't do a focus group like a company putting out a new product.

If enough people don't want to hear the high falsetto then they won't be able to do shows at high capacity venues.  To me, no matter what he does, he's not going to sound like he did 30 years ago.  It doesn't matter to me if the difference is parts of songs in high falsetto or dropping the key.  They both sound different than the same song in his prime.  Which is "better" is a matter of opinion and the only opinion that matters is Axl's.

I mean, he certainly hears himself through the IEMs and knows what he sounds like.  I don't think he has lost his hearing, especially in the vocal range.

Edited by Gnrcane
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cosmo said:

My guess is he's gotten to a point where he has more fun playing covers of songs he likes. Let WTTJ, SCOM and PC have become his "boring day job", and those covers he plays now and then are the part of the set he has fun with.

That makes sense, he also didn't (to my knowledge) do any Guns songs while touring with AC/DC in 2016. 

• Like 1