Axl Rose at Billy Joel concert

10 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I’ve a feeling the next few years are the last we will ever see Axl. I’m almost certain he won’t carry on like the Stones or Aerosmith and he’s very reclusive.

He may be reclusive away from his job, but he's also just spent 12 of the last 15 years touring pretty much non-stop – one of those off-years (2015) was because the band fell apart, another (2020) was because of covid, 2024 was arguably the first proper planned 'off' year since 2009 (which only had a handful of dates towards the end of the year). Few artists of his ilk have had touring schedules like it.

It's not out of the question that he'll continue for years to come. If anything, I'd say it's likely

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 3

Part of why he looks so strange at Guns N' Roses shows is because he dresses like a bad create-a-wrestler model, which looks fine when you're a frontman in your 30s, but stands out when you're approaching your 70s.

He looks much better here dressed his age like a glam-rock senior citizen ready for his grandson's graduation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

His high voice is absolutely Mickeyed...there's no way that getting better at this point. 

He just sung 3 songs and there's not a hint of rasp in any word. 

Then again, with Axl you never know. He is the GOAT for me, and he has proved me wrong in the past.

I just hope his Love to Love adds some rasp to his mid-upper register. The same with any new song that may come out.

ALL THAT SAID, its nice to see him having a good time, after all, he is a living legend that will surpass his life. 

He is in his 70s, we just have to accept that this is what he can do at this point. 

It's a shame that he doesn't write new music. Guns' could go to the studio and do a back to basics album with songs that he could have less trouble singing. 

With that said, nobody wants new music live. He's in a tough situation because their back catalogue that people want to hear are all based on a type of singing that was likely hard in his prime - and now as a senior citizen it's unreasonable for people to complain or expect him to sound like that. 

Realistically, they need to assemble a band with strong backup vocals that they can mix in to cover his blindspot. There are some NuGNR shows on Youtube where the ensemble vocals are mixed high. Ironically, Axl was still a stronger vocalist during these shows. The point is, having multiple vocalists do each line helps cover for some of his decline, and he can still be mixed the highest live. It just adds more depth to the vocals. 

I've been critical of the band as a cash grab in the past and wondered if Axl tried hard to get into stage shape, because while it's extremely difficult at his age, we're talking about asking people to pay top dollar for what is supposed to be an elite live product. With that said, I think that ship has sailed. There were always conspiracies about him "not trying" in Guns, because the videos online of him killing it in AC/DC floated around - but watching this video of him with Billy Joel, I suspect this is Axl's version of trying hard. Which if this is the best he can genuinely do, good for him, there is nothing wrong with it - but fans need to be realistic at this point about what they're paying for when they give $200 to see a bunch of 70 year olds play the "U Put Me In A Home N Ur' Out Of The Will Out 2 Get Me" tour. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Good to see, should do more guesting. Obv his voice is shot on high pitch and rasp, has been since 2018/19. That's never coming back. But he sounds perfect in the lower key. If there is any new (LOL) material ever written and sung in studio, it'll most likely be in that register, maybe sprinkled with the leftover vocals from 98-2007 period when he could still sing that way. That's fine with me

Didn't get rasp "Rock The Rock" in 2019? 😏 (Or was it recorded earlier?)

7 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

does anyone know if Axl was at Slashs recent show in LA?  Beta posted a pic of it from the  side of the stage, so she was there at the very least. 

If Beta was at Slash, it's almost 100% sure Axl would be too...

Could you imagine.

"Axl...ok I'm off out to see Mr Slash"

"ok....cya"

Nah

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vail2004 said:

1) woke up this morning saw Axl played w Joel

2) watched several videos of all 3 songs

3) Thought Axl sounded amazing ... better than the last tour.  especially on Live and Let Die

4) log onto this site to see people giving him deserved props

5) instead find the same ol bitching

... some of you need to get a f'ing life or at least get a hearing aid.  same old song and dance and dont care about facts

You logged on specifically to see people agree with you? & if someone doesn't agree with you they need a life?

You are allowed to write the word fucking you know (eg) people are allowed to express a fucking opinion.

• Like 3

I think it was great. They all enjoyed themselves.

Axl is obviously not in his prime anymore, and that's perfectly ok. His raspy style of singing is unique, super hard, and not sustainable. I think it is awesome that he was able to do it for so long, but it's time to accept that at this point it is likely not coming back. At 60+ I think that's ok. Hell, even if he could, it's probably healthier to go clean. I see no point in bitching "BUT NO RASP". Hear his speaking voice, now realize how high he sings, now try to add rasp on top of that, now scream your lungs out every night and do all that for decades. It was meant to happen at some point. I am just glad he is out there having fun and still sounding good for his age. I will happily go to any concert near me because he is a living legend and will enjoy the fuck out of it instead of obsessing over rasp.

Edited by Manfisman
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, siraddam said:

I wonder how these things happen? Does Axl call Billy and say I wanna join you on stage for the last night of the tour? Are they friends? 

They are friends and I suppose they text from time to time, especially when they both happen to be in the same area. And now Axl probably just happened to be in New York for another reason, so Billy Joel asked him to guest at the show.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

but stands out when you're approaching your 70s

2 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

He is in his 70s, we just have to accept that this is what he can do at this point. 

Approaching? In? The reality is neither. He's 62.

• Like 1

He looks great. He generally dresses pretty cool for these one-off appearances. However, I think some continued changes are needed for the next tour if he wants to keep what's left of his voice. Shorter sets, more rearranged melodies to work better with his lower voice (which is still in excellent condition), and save the highs for basically Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise.

• Like 2

To me he sounds about the same as last year - not better and not worse.  Which isn't his prime or even 2016 levels but I don't find it horrible either.  What he did was perfectly serviceable and especially You May Be Right I think sounds pretty solid

10 hours ago, PaoloLA said:

Sounded pretty fucking great on You May Be Right. Looked great as well. 💪🏻🤘🏻

Some of us may be cool on occasion. None of us will ever be "Axl Rose in a sequin blazer harmonizing with Billy Joel at MSG" cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vail2004 said:

1) woke up this morning saw Axl played w Joel

2) watched several videos of all 3 songs

3) Thought Axl sounded amazing ... better than the last tour.  especially on Live and Let Die

4) log onto this site to see people giving him deserved props

5) instead find the same ol bitching

... some of you need to get a f'ing life or at least get a hearing aid.  same old song and dance and dont care about facts

If that sounds good to you, than you're the one in need of a hearing aid:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1