Axl Rose at Billy Joel concert

On 7/27/2024 at 5:54 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

As long as he doesn't sound like Berlin 2018 or something, the usual people will defend him - he's in his sixties, his vocal style was tough, at least he seems happy, blah blah blah. Ignoring the points and complaining about haters.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it was probably a cool guest appearance to see live. He didn't sound good, but it was a fun appearance that overall doesn't really matter. For a guy that's famously reclusive it's cool to see him jam with a friend, he made a funny comment after HTH (I think?) about Billy asking when they met each other.

But his highs are shot. That's the reality. Obviously when he does something like this, people will comment on that and make valid criticisms. Someone made a post in the general musings thread about wanting people to always defend Axl/GNR like Halestorm fans do, and that's such a weird concept to me. If people just want a circlejerk, I hear HTGTH is still active :lol:

Yeah his voice is permanently affected, what we heard at this show is the best he can do now. Oh well. Personally I think the end is nearing for touring for GnR (which will open up time for Slash to do his blues fest each year). Maybe a residency sometime later but even that has an expiration date.

What's the deal with Halestorm?

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah his voice is permanently affected, what we heard at this show is the best he can do now. Oh well. Personally I think the end is nearing for touring for GnR (which will open up time for Slash to do his blues fest each year). Maybe a residency sometime later but even that has an expiration date.

What's the deal with Halestorm?

Axl could always choose to sing the songs in lower octave or rearrange the songs.

I believe in his own mind he thinks his still nailing it. Otherwise he would have taken that approach like many other older singers do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Axl could always choose to sing the songs in lower octave or rearrange the songs.

I believe in his own mind he thinks his still nailing it. Otherwise he would have taken that approach like many other older singers do.

I think it’s rather a question of pride. And the fact the fans are used to hear the songs with certain vocal melodies. You can’t usually go an octave lower, I think people mistake this word for something else. You can do that with e.g. Estranged, like we’ve seen in 2023, but you can’t do it with the most of the main hits that are on the medium vocal level, like SCOM. There’s nothing to do about it but sing it the original way or just skip the song altogether. Which is why they need to shuffle the playlist as much as possible (something like they kind of approached in 2023). There are actually only about 3 songs that absolutely need to be played (Jungle, SCOM, PC), plus a few that are gonna be played but are in the low register, so that’s ok (Easy, Brownstone...), and a couple that are gonna be played whether we like it or not (Heaven’s Door, NR). The rest can alternate or gradually disappear, like Better (should have been gone way earlier, though). But he won’t do that, will he. Although it kind of looks like he did start thinking about this recently. 

All this is caused by the fact there hasn’t been proper new material. Because if there had been, songs like LALD, which don’t sound that good any longer, could have been phased out with these new songs. We’re so used to the stale situation that we think 90% of the playlist absolutely needs to be there, with only a very few additions possible (like the new singles) – but that’s plainly not true. It’s all just a matter of habit. Bands touring new albums often keep only a few basic hits and re-establish / rework the setlists completely with each new tour. Unlike GN'R, of course. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, vloors said:

Yeah definitely, but I think if he was going to do that it would've happened already.

14 hours ago, vloors said:

I wish he could rearrange songs  and sing in lower octave. During Totenham show he sand The Estranged in lower voice and it was so fine, in opinion of course.

On 7/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

As long as he doesn't sound like Berlin 2018 or something, the usual people will defend him - he's in his sixties, his vocal style was tough, at least he seems happy, blah blah blah. Ignoring the points and complaining about haters.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it was probably a cool guest appearance to see live. He didn't sound good, but it was a fun appearance that overall doesn't really matter. For a guy that's famously reclusive it's cool to see him jam with a friend, he made a funny comment after HTH (I think?) about Billy asking when they met each other.

But his highs are shot. That's the reality. Obviously when he does something like this, people will comment on that and make valid criticisms. Someone made a post in the general musings thread about wanting people to always defend Axl/GNR like Halestorm fans do, and that's such a weird concept to me. If people just want a circlejerk, I hear HTGTH is still active :lol:

You seem to have misunderstood accepting the situation for what it is, for defending Axl Rose. People like yourself will never be happy until you except the Axl Rose of today. You seem to be like many on this forum who are looking for an Axl Rose of the past.

That won't happen due to age and time moving in a forward direction. 

Do you ever take the time to process why we have a very different Axl Rose today then in the past?. 

The Axl Rose I see is happy and content because he has accepted his situation in life, including being comfortable with his body image to his singing abilities. Axl Rose has never cared what anyone thinks about him, and that is the one thing that hasn't changed including what you or I think...

Until you learn to understand that, you will continue to look for something that simply isn't there.. 

Some of us come to this forum and read threads to catch up on what's happening with our favorite band. 

Unfortunately, like many threads, the discussion never stays on topic, and the same members derail the topic back to the same things over and over again, hence why many of us check out and return to a world of paying bills, paying the mortgage off and supporting our families.

All of these members have one thing in common, and that's they aren't accepting the situation - aka, it is what it is, and it's not going to change.. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Some of us come to this forum and read threads to catch up on what's happening with our favorite band. 

Unfortunately, like many threads, the discussion never stays on topic, and the same members derail the topic back to the same things over and over again, hence why many of us check out and return to a world of paying bills, paying the mortgage off and supporting our families.

All of these members have one thing in common, and that's they aren't accepting the situation - aka, it is what it is, and it's not going to change.. 

Since your joining here in 2016 I don't think I have ever seen you talk about music - it is purely just only rants about how much you think other fans here don't know, or how they are thinking wrong lol

It is GNR fandom, we shitpost, have crazy takes on shit, and have  good time. Chillax and shitpost with the rest of us :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

Did Axl lip sync the Led Zep part in 'You May Be Right'?- his lips dont match the audio. 

It could be a camera delay or something like that because afaik, Axl has never lip synched before. 🤔💡

14 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah definitely, but I think if he was going to do that it would've happened already.

His in denial of his current singing capabilities or deaf now

• Like 1

https://pagesix.com/2024/07/29/entertainment/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-parties-into-early-hours-rocks-out-to-steely-dan-at-the-mulberry/

Axl Rose was ready to hit the scene on Friday night, 24 hours after joining Billy Joel onstage at his final Madison Square Garden show.

The Guns N’ Roses frontman made his way back to the Mulberry — which hosted an after party for him last year — where he sang along when the DJ played Steely Dan’s “Dirty Work.”

We’re told he arrived to the Downtown celeb haunt after having dinner a few blocks north at BondST.

Rose seemed to vaguely remember having an afterparty at the bar, and was trying to piece it all together, we hear. A spy overheard him conversing with security, who said, “Welcome back!” Rose said: “I was here before!”

Edited by vloors
  • GNFNR 1

On 7/30/2024 at 1:52 AM, vloors said:

https://pagesix.com/2024/07/29/entertainment/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-parties-into-early-hours-rocks-out-to-steely-dan-at-the-mulberry/

Axl Rose was ready to hit the scene on Friday night, 24 hours after joining Billy Joel onstage at his final Madison Square Garden show.

The Guns N’ Roses frontman made his way back to the Mulberry — which hosted an after party for him last year — where he sang along when the DJ played Steely Dan’s “Dirty Work.”

We’re told he arrived to the Downtown celeb haunt after having dinner a few blocks north at BondST.

Rose seemed to vaguely remember having an afterparty at the bar, and was trying to piece it all together, we hear. A spy overheard him conversing with security, who said, “Welcome back!” Rose said: “I was here before!”

Answering,"I was here before!" To someone telling you,"Welcome back," is a bit disturbing and concerning . 😵‍💫 I wonder if Axl will get a new nickname, "Dementia Rose." 😵‍💫

Edited by Karice

I see some people here like “He SoUnDs GrEaT oN YoU MaY Be RiGhT” but c’mon… that’s him in his normal speaking voice. If he sounded bad with his normal speaking voice, he shouldn’t have stepped on that stage at all, for the sake of his own vocal health. The bar can’t go so low we see people happy he can sing It’s So Easy-style vocals without getting out of breath. Gimme 5 cigarettes, 2 whiskies and a kick in the gut and I’d still be able to sing in this style with no problems. This is Axl Rose. He should be held to a much higher standard. Yes, he’s entering his 60s now but still, he can do much better. He was, at one point, one of the best singers in the world. 

• GNFNR 1

42 minutes ago, Karice said:

Answering,"I was here before!" To someone telling you,"Welcome back," is a bit disturbing and concerning .

not really, it was probably said by Axl in a joking manner.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

not really, it was probably said by Axl in a joking manner.

Hmm. A LOT of people won't take that as a joke, they'll take it seriously and wonder if Axl is on the early stages of Dementia. 🤔

Soundboard of the entire show now streamable on Sirius. Live and Let Die and Highway to Hell have found their way onto YouTube - search Axl Rose Billy Joel and filter to most recent, uploaded an hour ago.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Yes, he’s entering his 60s now but still, he can do much better. He was, at one point, one of the best singers in the world. 

Who’s Axl contemporaries at this point? Brian Johnson is the closest I can think of that has that singing style.. There’s a lot of singers sounding better than Axl who are in their 70s and Jagger who is 80. But none of those singers sang like Axl. Johnson is the only “screecher” I can think of whose still doing it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dean said:

Soundboard of the entire show now streamable on Sirius. Live and Let Die and Highway to Hell have found their way onto YouTube - search Axl Rose Billy Joel and filter to most recent, uploaded an hour ago.

Thanks

Just listened to this and I don't get all the fuss about is voice, sounds exactly like how he's been singing this last few years. Sounds like he is being careful about adding distortion/rasp and trying to keep his voice clean. The last tour he seem to be going for the rasp a lot more often and was sounding a lot less healthy. Although he gives very slight moments of rasp (mostly on the end of the phrases of the first verse) and then proceeds to clip the shit out the mic for the rest of the song.

Curious to listen to "You may be right" (nice cover to play after or before perhaps) I couldn't properly listen to his voice on that one.

Edited by batatadoce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Who’s Axl contemporaries at this point? Brian Johnson is the closest I can think of that has that singing style.. There’s a lot of singers sounding better than Axl who are in their 70s and Jagger who is 80. But none of those singers sang like Axl. Johnson is the only “screecher” I can think of whose still doing it. 

Brian Johnson is much older than Axl, though. Brian’s almost 15 years older than Axl. You might compare Axl today to Brian on the Black Ice tour, maybe. But Bruce Dickinson is only 3 years older than him and Rob Halford,  is 13 years older. Both sing a lot better than Axl nowadays. My guess is Axl never learned how to properly sing and thia cost him a lot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Dan McCafferty isn't his contemporary, but I guess he's comparable... had that distinctive raspy voice and toured into his 60s until he couldn't physically do it anymore, then bowed out. Dan still sounded like himself until the end though.

• Like 3