Warning. Controversial topic. Should Axl retire now/soon? 🤔☢️

Should Axl retire now/soon? 💡🤔  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Axl REALLY struggles with his voice and his voice often sounds tired and weak or it sounds like Mickey Mouse and even seriously sounded like GASP MINNIE Mouse in a video asking what happened to Axl's voice. I get that Axl loves performing, but his voice is just not all that good most of the time. I get that he most likely can't sing at 62 like he did when he was 28, but his boi went the extreme opposite, I watched a video Axl did recently, and I was honestly shocked at how bad he sounded. 😱😳 I feel that Axl should retire now/soon instead of keep singing with the tired/weak/Mickey/Minnie voice. 🤔💡

Edited by Karice
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I mean it's up to him really, me thinking he should or shouldn't is irrelevant. If people keep paying to see him, then he will keep playing.

3 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

He already is retired.

hmmm he's not though is he? He was in the studio last year & on stage less than a week ago. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

He shouldnt, GNR should

sure. going against what Axl himself wants according to him (to keep Gn'R going as long as possible) just cause some expectations of some fans are not being met while Gn'R still brings a lot of joy to so many people. ridiculous. 

I guess Slash should stop playing guitar cause he's not nearly as good as he once was imo and the Conspirators should also stop cause a lot of people don't enjoy their music. 

• Like 3

One final world tour with GnR, hopefully 4/5 appetite 5 shows in there. that will take 2 years. he'll be 65. there's no way he can tour and sing past 65 with his vocal decline over past 6 years. he can however continue to release and record new music with the help of many takes, time, studio trickery and writing songs to suit his current voice, he can do that for another 10 years easily. sadly we know the opposite is true. he'll tour and becoming a vince neil type running joke and not release music. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axlvai said:

Maybe when he get retired we would get more good stuff. 

Retired would mean Axl permanently decides to stop making any more music. Like Aha and Daft Punk who have permanently retired. 💡

I chose he should focus on making his voice better, and someone else agreed with me. 😀🤔🤭💡

I always get the feeling that Slash does it for the love of music but Axl is probably a lot more financially driven. I could be wrong on that. 

From a few bits and pieces I’ve read over the years, I think Axl is great at spending money. He doesn’t strike me as someone that puts fuel in his own car or goes shopping for groceries himself. Not to mention all the studio time etc to tinker with songs never released 

And I’m sure he’d want to set up the Lebeis family and kids for generations to come 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Why didn't you add the option, "Who the fuck am I to say whether Axl should retire or not? I am not privy to how much he enjoys touring which is the only thing that matter when it comes to retirement"? 

because we are his audience. he wants to sell us a product that is top of the market rate, then he has to be expected to deliver that. We don't get faulty goods from amazon and say, 'well bezos wants to keep the company going, so it isn't our right to demand better'.

Obviously here is a small sample size, but 99% of people here will tell you axls voice is shot. there were plenty of memes and jokes about it after his 2023 glastonbury performance in the general public. The defence was he ran around a lot and put in a lot of physical effort, but he still sounded terrible. he's older, it's life. he can choose to carry on, but we have the right to judge and critique and eventually the tickets will stop selling. And that will be when he stops. when the cash cow is no longer giving its milk. 

8 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

because we are his audience.

And when we stop attending shows he has no choice to retire. But obviously that hasn't happened yet, people still flock to the shows. Ergo, it is only up to him to decide whether to retire or not and that should solely be based on whether he still enjoys it or not. 

I think GnR should keep going, but eventually adjust to their old age. Focus on lower-register songs and whatnot. Let Melissa do the high vocals on songs like SCOM while Axl sings in a lower register. More acoustic tours. More covers. Write more mellow songs. Stuff like that.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 4

Ah, come on, he's nowhere NEAR retirement level bad. Last tour he was largely really good.

Personally, I'm of the view that if you're not going to push things forward though with new material etc, it's probably time to call it a day and leave some great memories behind. I think that about a lot of things though in life. 

I think the band are better than an endless nostalgia tour.....but, you know, that seems to be what people want to see, so, there we go. 

In terms of quality of the shows I think they're doing just fine at the moment.....but that could change of course.