Warning. Controversial topic. Should Axl retire now/soon? 🤔☢️

Should Axl retire now/soon? 💡🤔  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well Steve Tylers now retiring due to vocal issues. 

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/heartbreaking-iconic-rock-band-aerosmith-retiring-from-touring/news-story/48566048e6b054586f423782400663d4

Aerosmith made the “heartbreaking” and “difficult” decision to retire from touring.

The iconic US rock band announced on Friday, local time, that they will no longer be touring due to lead singer Steven Tyler’s vocal injuries.

“It was 1970 when a spark of inspiration became Aerosmith. Thanks to you, our Blue Army, that spark caught flame and has been burning for over five decades. Some of you have been with us since the beginning and all of you are the reason we made rock ‘n’ roll history,” the statement began.

Aerosmith's statement announcing their retirement from touring.
Last year, Tyler, 76, “fractured his larynx,” forcing the band to postpone the rest of their Peace Out farewell tour and it seems that the legendary frontman never fully recovered.

“We’ve always wanted to blow your mind when performing,” the statement continued. “As you know, Steven’s voice is an instrument like no other. He has spent months tirelessly working on getting his voice to where it was before his injury. We’ve seen him struggling despite having the best medical team by his side.”

“Sadly, it is clear, that a full recovery from his vocal injury is not possible. We have made a heartbreaking and difficult, but necessary, decision – as a band of brothers – to retire from the touring stage.”

The band added that they are “beyond grateful” to those that bought tickets for the tour and “our expert crew, our incredible team and the thousands of talented people who’ve made our historic runs possible.”

Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler suffered vocal injuries last year. 
They ended the emotional missive thanking “the best fans on planet Earth.”

“Play our music loud, now and always. Dream On. You’ve made our dreams come true.”

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, vloors said:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/heartbreaking-iconic-rock-band-aerosmith-retiring-from-touring/news-story/48566048e6b054586f423782400663d4

Aerosmith made the “heartbreaking” and “difficult” decision to retire from touring.

The iconic US rock band announced on Friday, local time, that they will no longer be touring due to lead singer Steven Tyler’s vocal injuries.

“It was 1970 when a spark of inspiration became Aerosmith. Thanks to you, our Blue Army, that spark caught flame and has been burning for over five decades. Some of you have been with us since the beginning and all of you are the reason we made rock ‘n’ roll history,” the statement began.

Last year, Tyler, 76, “fractured his larynx,” forcing the band to postpone the rest of their Peace Out farewell tour and it seems that the legendary frontman never fully recovered.

“We’ve always wanted to blow your mind when performing,” the statement continued. “As you know, Steven’s voice is an instrument like no other. He has spent months tirelessly working on getting his voice to where it was before his injury. We’ve seen him struggling despite having the best medical team by his side.”

“Sadly, it is clear, that a full recovery from his vocal injury is not possible. We have made a heartbreaking and difficult, but necessary, decision – as a band of brothers – to retire from the touring stage.”

The band added that they are “beyond grateful” to those that bought tickets for the tour and “our expert crew, our incredible team and the thousands of talented people who’ve made our historic runs possible.”

“Play our music loud, now and always. Dream On. You’ve made our dreams come true.”

Shame that Steven Tyler/Aerosmith is retiring. 😫 At least they had a VERY good run. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Damn shame, but what a run! And Stevens voice held up for a long time and sounded great!

Axl and every other singer needs to look at this and do whatever's necessary to avoid this

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Damn shame, but what a run! And Stevens voice held up for a long time and sounded great!

Axl and every other singer needs to look at this and do whatever's necessary to avoid this

Which he IS doing! That is why he sings the way he does, to preserve what's left. If Axl Rose sang like Axl Rose every night, he would've retired with damage long ago.

I don't understand why fans – particularly hardcore fans – can't grasp this.

We know he works with a coach, we know he warms up and warms down for several hours every night, it's blatantly obvious his clean voice is a choice to preserve the remainder of his voice, but instead people choose to over-analyse every note and complain about it. He wouldn't get the praise he does from other musicians if what he was doing wasn't the right thing to be doing.

Edited by DoMw94

24 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Which he IS doing! That is why he sings the way he does, to preserve what's left. If Axl Rose sang like Axl Rose every night, he would've retired with damage long ago.

We know he works with a coach, we know he warms up and warms down for several hours every night, it's blatantly obvious his clean voice is a choice to preserve the remainder of his voice, but instead people choose to over-analyse every note and complain about it. He wouldn't get the praise he does from other musicians if what he was doing wasn't the right thing to be doing.

But it sounds like ass.

:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

But it sounds like ass.

:D

Maybe, but it still sounds. I'd rather that than him cause irreparable damage like Steven Tyler has.

These huge legacy acts are dropping away, and since Axl is relatively young, I'm happy to take what I can get with him. The rest of the band still sounds great.

7 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Maybe, but it still sounds. I'd rather that than him cause irreparable damage like Steven Tyler has.

These huge legacy acts are dropping away, and since Axl is relatively young, I'm happy to take what I can get with him. The rest of the band still sounds great.

The REST of the Band are mostly INSTRUMENT Players however, NOT Singers. 💡

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I’m pretty sure Steven could still touring if he was ok with the operating level of Axl. He knows he can’t deliver, so they quit touring. But as long as GNR draws as much people to their gigs, Axl is not to blame.

15 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I’m pretty sure Steven could still touring if he was ok with the operating level of Axl. He knows he can’t deliver, so they quit touring. But as long as GNR draws as much people to their gigs, Axl is not to blame.

He has a fractured larynx and is in his 70s. He's fucked. He cannot sing whatsoever.

And the operating level of Axl? GN'R's shows are longer and the songs more demanding to sing. There's no way he'd cope with that.

15 hours ago, Karice said:

The REST of the Band are mostly INSTRUMENT Players however, NOT Singers. 💡

And? Doesn't stop me enjoying them.

Edited by DoMw94

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Yeah he might have adjusted a few melodies or ducked a few notes but in general he is still out there trying to sing like he used to but he can't. He goes for rasp but it's overly compressed and thin. He goes for falsetto, it's also thin and powerless.

I understand what he is and isn't doing. What exactly don't you understand.

If he was serious, gnr would have changed keys on several songs by now. That being the very least of what should be done.

We know he worked with a coach. There is no evidence listening to his vocal to suggest there's ongoing work with any coaches. If there was he either doesn't listen or they are not very good. First thing a coach would do with Axl is get his breathing under control, then strengthen his falsetto and upper range. 

And as far as other musicians praising him (Duff, Slash, Richard... All on the gravy train) there's many musicians out in the press saying sweet things about each other, but they are largely disingenuous. Behind closed doors they have opinions just like ours, but it wouldn't serve them to say those things publicly and risk losing any potential support or co-headline opportunities with gnr. Axl for many years sang quite well, but he clearly didn't maintain his voice. For example most singers say the same thing about singing when they aren't touring to keep the muscles strong. I just can't imagine Axl does much of this. When you're young you can muscle through and your recovery is quicker to get back to where you left things, when you start aging you have to exercise more. And I'm not talking about weight, I'm specifically talking about Axl needing to be at home doing a min of 20-30 minutes of vocal work everyday on and off the road.  Only freaks of nature are able to age, not practice and maintain a strong healthy voice... And even they tune down eventually.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

This attitude is something I can't understand. 

I get loving a band and not wanting them to stop. 

But this thing of "the rest of the band is killer, I don't mind that Axl sounds bad". That's beyond fandom. You're not a fan of music at that point, just the memory of it. You want to see a band delivering. And whether people like or not, a band lives and breathes on the ability of the singer to deliver the goods. 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

This attitude is something I can't understand. 

I get loving a band and not wanting them to stop. 

But this thing of "the rest of the band is killer, I don't mind that Axl sounds bad". That's beyond fandom. You're not a fan of music at that point, just the memory of it. You want to see a band delivering. And whether people like or not, a band lives and breathes on the ability of the singer to deliver the goods. 

Where did I say "the rest of the band is killer, I don't mind that Axl sounds bad"? I just happen to like what the others do (for example, I was a Slash fan long before I was a Guns N' Roses fan and I continue to be one), and I can just appreciate that an old man with a harsh singing technique has been forced to change. I'm not some deluded fan who can't see the truth, but I'm not some boring fool who over-analyses every note and every breath with scientific precision either. It's a frickin' rock band for crying out loud!

Not only that, I have no memory of the band's heyday – I wasn't alive. I like the current lineup, it's my favourite of all of them. And I do want to see a band delivering, this band has seven people in it, 6.5 of them always do deliver.

I go to a concert to have a good time and to escape from the world. I still have a good time, that's all that matters to me. This whole fanbase is fucking ridiculous at times.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Where did I say "the rest of the band is killer, I don't mind that Axl sounds bad"? I just happen to like what the others do (for example, I was a Slash fan long before I was a Guns N' Roses fan and I continue to be one), and I can just appreciate that an old man with a harsh singing technique has been forced to change. I'm not some deluded fan who can't see the truth, but I'm not some boring fool who over-analyses every note and every breath with scientific precision either. It's a frickin' rock band for crying out loud!

Not only that, I have no memory of the band's heyday – I wasn't alive. I like the current lineup, it's my favourite of all of them. And I do want to see a band delivering, this band has seven people in it, 6.5 of them always do deliver.

I go to a concert to have a good time and to escape from the world. I still have a good time, that's all that matters to me. This whole fanbase is fucking ridiculous at times.

I was alive during Guns N'Roses heyday, but I was a BABY/ CHILD and don't personally remember ANYTHING from Guns N'Roses's Heyday. I was only 1 when Guns debuted and was only 10 when the "Old," Guns N'Roses ended. When I found out about Guns N'Roses, I was already a full grown Adult in my early 20's. By the time I officially became a big fan, I was 37. 💡

36 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This sounds more like "Axl Rose" than how he normally sings it.

That London 2022 show had some cool versions of Nightrain, Civil War, etc.

He could still sound great if he adapted to his natural voice, and saved the highs for a few key songs/moments throughout the shows. That's the main argument.

He mentioned during the last tour that he didn't like Queen's live records because Freddie wouldn't hit the highest notes... but if Axl can't hit the highs with any power, most people would be happy to hear him sing lower with a richer, more powerful voice.

Yeah those London shows gave us a glimpse at what could be. It was pretty cool, and with Melissa in the band, they might as well lean on her.

I don't know why he perseveres though, and I'm not going to be one of those nutjob fans who thinks they know what's going on in his head or within the band, but surely he'll have his reasons 🤷‍♂️ I mean, many in the industry are praising him, so us fans clearly don't know the full picture (and no, not people on the 'gravy train,' as someone else said. And if that was the case, they wouldn't say stuff unprompted, they'd just say nothing – y'know, the band's usual MO).

My only guess is it's healthier the way he is doing, but I don't know, and I won't pretend I do 😂

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

They could easily adjust the songs by tuning the instruments lower. It would result in a much heavier-sounding performance and something that would be much easier for Axl. I have no idea why they haven’t done it yet. Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Yeah those London shows gave us a glimpse at what could be. It was pretty cool, and with Melissa in the band, they might as well lean on her.

I don't know why he perseveres though, and I'm not going to be one of those nutjob fans who thinks they know what's going on in his head or within the band, but surely he'll have his reasons 🤷‍♂️ I mean, many in the industry are praising him, so us fans clearly don't know the full picture (and no, not people on the 'gravy train,' as someone else said. And if that was the case, they wouldn't say stuff unprompted, they'd just say nothing – y'know, the band's usual MO).

My only guess is it's healthier the way he is doing, but I don't know, and I won't pretend I do 😂

I'd like hear them try Locomotive as a 'duet', where Axl sings the whole thing in a lower voice and Melissa doubles him with the high vocals. Sort of like what they've done on CD or Sorry, but have Melissa high enough in the mix that it's a co-lead vocal thing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd like hear them try Locomotive as a 'duet', where Axl sings the whole thing in a lower voice and Melissa doubles him with the high vocals. Sort of like what they've done on CD or Sorry, but have Melissa high enough in the mix that it's a co-lead vocal thing.

YES! A thousand percent this.

And ditch the distored vocal filter thing while they're at it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Oh please teach me about the truth oh wise one😄 If you don't know what you're talking about because it's too boring to analyze it, then don't talk about it😉 just because it's rock music doesn't mean you should have lower standards and not make judgements about it.

Duh. We all go to concerts for that reason. I went to AC/DC a few weeks ago and had a great time, even though I knew going in they had lost a step. Brian is not the singer he was but the HUGE difference is he still sounds recognizable! he's clearly putting a huge effort in (Axl puts effort in on stage) and he has 15yrs on Axl. I saw Mr big a few weeks ago, again Eric isn't what he was but his tone remains even if he can't hit all the high notes anymore, again recognizable. He changed things around and it sounded good. I'm not against vocalists changing due to circumstances, that's perfectly fine. I'm just not in the camp of appreciating it just because. 

I didn't see gnr in the 80s 90s either. I saw them in the 00s. Not sure what this has to do with anything? I'm not talking about Axl needing to sound like he did 30+ yrs ago. 6.5 out of 7 might be ok if the weak link was Richard, but when it's the vocalist you may as well just go home. I appreciate you might honestly go to a show just to watch Slash... But I don't get how Axl blowing chunks wouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the show, but also more power to you! And don't get me wrong Axl doesn't sound shit every song and every concert, he is sometimes more than passable.

And... that's about all I have to say on this subject for today✌️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Oh please teach me about the truth oh wise one😄 If you don't know what you're talking about because it's too boring to analyze it, then don't talk about it😉 just because it's rock music doesn't mean you should have lower standards and not make judgements about it.

Duh. We all go to concerts for that reason. I went to AC/DC a few weeks ago and had a great time, even though I knew going in they had lost a step. Brian is not the singer he was but the HUGE difference is he still sounds recognizable! he's clearly putting a huge effort in (Axl puts effort in on stage) and he has 15yrs on Axl. I saw Mr big a few weeks ago, again Eric isn't what he was but his tone remains even if he can't hit all the high notes anymore, again recognizable. He changed things around and it sounded good. I'm not against vocalists changing due to circumstances, that's perfectly fine. I'm just not in the camp of appreciating it just because. 

I didn't see gnr in the 80s 90s either. I saw them in the 00s. Not sure what this has to do with anything? I'm not talking about Axl needing to sound like he did 30+ yrs ago. 6.5 out of 7 might be ok if the weak link was Richard, but when it's the vocalist you may as well just go home. I appreciate you might honestly go to a show just to watch Slash... But I don't get how Axl blowing chunks wouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the show, but also more power to you! And don't get me wrong Axl doesn't sound shit every song and every concert, he is sometimes more than passable.

And... that's about all I have to say on this subject for today✌️

A Fan said something like,"I went to Guns N'Roses TWO nights in a row. The first night, Axl sounded great on EVERY song. I had a REALLY fun time. 😀 The second night, EVERY SONG, Axl sounded like Mickey Mouse. I was beyond SHOCKED on how just ONE night prior he sounded great and the VERY next day he sounded like Mickey Mouse." 😱

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Come on, no need for that attitude, we're all on the same team here. And none of us know the real truth, none of us are Axl.

It's not that I've lowered my standards, I just already know what I'm letting myself in for beforehand. If I'm going to make a conscious choice to buy a ticket or listen to a live recording, while being fully aware of what to expect, then surely it's pointless then complaining. I bought a ticket/chose to listen, but I didn't have to. I do so in spite of the issues, I'm not blind to them. I already know Axl's not what he once was, so I don't get hung up on it.

It seems like plain common sense to me – if I was overly bothered by it, I'd stop attending/listening and move on. Sometimes I wonder why some others haven't. Like you say, say you might as well go home. There's people here that go or listen repeatedly, yet still complain about Axl's voice. Why aren't they staying home? They already know they're going to have a major gripe before they've even left the house.

There's having judgements and there's disecting it in a white lab coat – personally I just don't see the point. If I want to be that analytical and put that much effort into it, I'd make it my job (as I already have in another arena). I just find the over-the-top, constant analysis that happens every time the guy takes a breath to be tiresome. I just can't be bothered with that nonsense, that's all 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by DoMw94

11 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Come on, no need for that attitude, we're all on the same team here. And none of us know the real truth, none of us are Axl.

It's not that I've lowered my standards, I just already know what I'm letting myself in for beforehand. If I'm going to make a conscious choice to buy a ticket or listen to a live recording, while being fully aware of what to expect, then surely it's pointless then complaining. I bought a ticket/chose to listen, but I didn't have to. I do so in spite of the issues, I'm not blind to them. I already know Axl's not what he once was, so I don't get hung up on it.

It seems like plain common sense to me – if I was overly bothered by it, I'd stop attending/listening and move on. Sometimes I wonder why some others haven't. Like you say, say you might as well go home. There's people here that go or listen repeatedly, yet still complain about Axl's voice. Why aren't they staying home? They already know they're going to have a major gripe before they've even left the house.

There's having judgements and there's disecting it in a white lab coat – personally I just don't see the point. If I want to be that analytical and put that much effort into it, I'd make it my job (as I already have in another arena). I just find the over-the-top, constant analysis that happens every time the guy takes a breath to be tiresome. I just can't be bothered with that nonsense, that's all 🤷‍♂️ 

Well I was actually pretty forgiving when he performed with Billy Joel so it's not every time I hear him and he isn't nailing jt. My criticism and lab coat come out when he's charging full whack for tickets. I know what you are talking about too, like I mentioned in the past examples I'm happy to go to shows of bands past their prime. I haven't been to gnr since 2017 because I personally don't think it's worth it. I sit back and watch clips and if I think things are improving then I consider buying tickets. I think some people go just because they love gnr and figure they aren't doing anything better that day... Whether or not they have positive or negative reviews, who cares. I always come back to if you enjoy it then fuck everybody else including me. I'm not saying there's one way to enjoy live music, I know there's that buzz that comes with seeing a band in person and the energy of a crowd / anticipation.