Warning. Controversial topic. Should Axl retire now/soon? 🤔☢️

Should Axl retire now/soon? 💡🤔  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Karice said:

A Fan said something like,"I went to Guns N'Roses TWO nights in a row. The first night, Axl sounded great on EVERY song. I had a REALLY fun time. 😀 The second night, EVERY SONG, Axl sounded like Mickey Mouse. I was beyond SHOCKED on how just ONE night prior he sounded great and the VERY next day he sounded like Mickey Mouse." 😱

Axl has almost always been up and down. It's a complete coin flip whether you get a good or bad performance. Couple of years where he was more consistent obviously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Axl has almost always been up and down. It's a complete coin flip whether you get a good or bad performance. Couple of years where he was more consistent obviously.

I dunno when he sang for ACDC he was on fire every show.  I cant think of a single show on that run where there were complaints about Axls voice.  For whatever reason when he was with ACDC he was going to give every show 100% but for GNR he wants to use a different voice.  I see many comments that Axl cant sing anymore and i disagree with that he absoloutley still has that rocket of a singing voice but doesnt use it maybe this is one big joke Axl wants to play on everyone kinda like the opening gag of Dumb and Dumber 2 :D.

5 minutes ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

I dunno when he sang for ACDC he was on fire every show.  I cant think of a single show on that run where there were complaints about Axls voice.  For whatever reason when he was with ACDC he was going to give every show 100% but for GNR he wants to use a different voice.  I see many comments that Axl cant sing anymore and i disagree with that he absoloutley still has that rocket of a singing voice but doesnt use it maybe this is one big joke Axl wants to play on everyone kinda like the opening gag of Dumb and Dumber 2 :D.

I get your point but 2016 was not last week it was 8 years ago. Just because he did something 8 years ago does not mean he still has that rocket of a singing voice... father time is undefeated..

7 hours ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

Well I do remember people had a few things to say about Axl singing touch to much and some other songs where I definitely read "mickey" comments, but yes that was a universally loved season.

You're entitled to that opinion, but there's absolutely no evidence that he still has the capability to sing that way, when he sang back in black years later he could pull it off but it was much less aggressive and powerful than 2016, and he was clearly trying AND the song was a semitone lower than how he sang it in 2016 making it more achievable to hit the notes and get power. We don't know what he can and cannot do for sure but I feel like it's a fair assumption to say that's beyond him now.

Oh i agree guys but it was one hell of a shock for me after witnessing years of his declining vocal abilities to then sing like that for ACDC what a shock.  But yeah father time is undefeated maybe he is just holding back because of his age not wanting to lose what he still has who knows.

Also going back to the title of this thread no I dont think he should retire aslong as there are people willing to pay to listen to him sing and be able to make money then he should keep going untill he no longer wants to.  I also feel this way about all singers and bands many of these guys love what they do and making money is the cherry on top - keep going till you no longer wanna do it or its no longer financialy viable.

Edited by RnRHOFGNR
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

Oh i agree guys but it was one hell of a shock for me after witnessing years of his declining vocal abilities to then sing like that for ACDC what a shock.  But yeah father time is undefeated maybe he is just holding back because of his age not wanting to lose what he still has who knows.

Also going back to the title of this thread no I dont think he should retire aslong as there are people willing to pay to listen to him sing and be able to make money then he should keep going untill he no longer wants to.  I also feel this way about all singers and bands many of these guys love what they do and making money is the cherry on top - keep going till you no longer wanna do it or its no longer financialy viable.

About Axl, I love that he comes off as having FUN on stage, not like a depressed, melancholy , programmed Robot. 😀

The "Yes Axl should retire," and the ,"He should just focus on making his voice better," Options are only 2 votes apart, with "He should just focus on making his voice better," being in the lead. 💡😀

Axl shouldn't retire as long as he still enjoys performing.  It's up to us, the fans/consumers to decide if we want to spend the money to see him perform.  I've had a great time at the 5 shows I've attended since 2016 even though Axl does not sound like Axl from the 80's and 90's.  It's rock music, not opera.  He can still "sing" just not with the rasp and power he once had. 

He still gives off great energy on stage and is a great frontman.  Once in a while you still get a mini rant on something or a random story about a song.  I attend a GNR show to have a good time and enjoy myself and have fun with friends and other fans.  As long as that happens and Axl doesn't sound like bad Karaoke like Jon Bon Jovi was sounding like then I'll continue to attend shows on the next tour.  If they could pop out 3 or 4 new songs that would add to the value. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

Axl shouldn't retire as long as he still enjoys performing.  It's up to us, the fans/consumers to decide if we want to spend the money to see him perform.  I've had a great time at the 5 shows I've attended since 2016 even though Axl does not sound like Axl from the 80's and 90's.  It's rock music, not opera.  He can still "sing" just not with the rasp and power he once had. 

He still gives off great energy on stage and is a great frontman.  Once in a while you still get a mini rant on something or a random story about a song.  I attend a GNR show to have a good time and enjoy myself and have fun with friends and other fans.  As long as that happens and Axl doesn't sound like bad Karaoke like Jon Bon Jovi was sounding like then I'll continue to attend shows on the next tour.  If they could pop out 3 or 4 new songs that would add to the value. 

Yep, I also said that Axl looks like he is having FUN on stage and that's a GOOD thing. 🥰 About Axl's voice, I am glad he still HAS a voice and isn't mute. That gutteral, loud, powerful voice he used to sing with in his younger years say (See Perfect Crime for a prime example) was a REALLY hard voice and we are all lucky Axl can still speak after singing like that for MANY years. 💡🤔

Despite the assessments, obsevationz, N' otherwize tips, hints, & F'N well wishers (with regards, but not limited to continuation of Myself & by extension GUNS as a Unit, Band, LLC, Company ECT & F'N so forth) We feel that discussionz and all round dialogs, monologs & talks either in private, or for public consumption often prove to be self serving exercises from 'individuals' with shall we say.......AN AXE TO GRIND...

Truth is thyme waits for no man...... Even one such as I with a reputation (born from an often insidious plan carried out over an extended a period of years by those who seek to profit from you at the detriment of my name & you the F'N fans).......

I SAY FUCK EM!!!!!!!!! Not literally ...I have seen some picture's and the unvarnish'd truth is some of you R'F'N Ugly people.... No offense intended by either myself or Guns, & apologies to those who feel slighted or Otherwize offended by lack of what you INTERNET MONKEYS refer to as RASP...

Our thanks to Piano man and his band, Crew, Friends & Family's  for making our recent stroll in the Garden a pleasurable experience......

See you for festival dates next Summer N', MSG has an opening 4 A Residency now (Why'd you think we were guests?)

Peace out N' ROCK THA VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This post may or may not be a parody and as such is to be taken with a fist full of salt. Your subsidiary rights are not affected.... Read once a day with meals. May cause irreversible damage to kidneys and liver

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:57 PM, Tom2112 said:

No. If his in ears aren't working then he throws a fit. He has a custom mix to his exact taste, it's not the in ear system. 

And I would confidently guess that he is surrounded by yes men/women. 

to be fair, in ears are not for everyone and there's something so sterile about it imo. it's frustrating when you can't hear yourself even if it's your "fault".

49 minutes ago, Rovim said:

to be fair, in ears are not for everyone and there's something so sterile about it imo. it's frustrating when you can't hear yourself even if it's your "fault".

Well, Axl has been using them for a long time by choice. He could forego them and just use floor wedges but in general that's not as good and limits where you can go on stage and still hear yourself.

I love IEMs and much prefer using them, but if I get a shot mix yeah it's harder to perform, in that case I take an ear out and have a bit of stage and IEM sound to mix myself. Entirely down to who sets up the sound. IF Axl was having trouble with his in ears consistently his monitor engineer would've fired.

On 8/6/2024 at 9:13 PM, Rindmelon said:

Despite the assessments, obsevationz, N' otherwize tips, hints, & F'N well wishers (with regards, but not limited to continuation of Myself & by extension GUNS as a Unit, Band, LLC, Company ECT & F'N so forth) We feel that discussionz and all round dialogs, monologs & talks either in private, or for public consumption often prove to be self serving exercises from 'individuals' with shall we say.......AN AXE TO GRIND...

Truth is thyme waits for no man...... Even one such as I with a reputation (born from an often insidious plan carried out over an extended a period of years by those who seek to profit from you at the detriment of my name & you the F'N fans).......

I SAY FUCK EM!!!!!!!!! Not literally ...I have seen some picture's and the unvarnish'd truth is some of you R'F'N Ugly people.... No offense intended by either myself or Guns, & apologies to those who feel slighted or Otherwize offended by lack of what you INTERNET MONKEYS refer to as RASP...

Our thanks to Piano man and his band, Crew, Friends & Family's  for making our recent stroll in the Garden a pleasurable experience......

See you for festival dates next Summer N', MSG has an opening 4 A Residency now (Why'd you think we were guests?)

Peace out N' ROCK THA VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This post may or may not be a parody and as such is to be taken with a fist full of salt. Your subsidiary rights are not affected.... Read once a day with meals. May cause irreversible damage to kidneys and liver

This is some excellent satire. The phrasing/wording is perfect

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well, Axl has been using them for a long time by choice. He could forego them and just use floor wedges but in general that's not as good and limits where you can go on stage and still hear yourself.

I love IEMs and much prefer using them, but if I get a shot mix yeah it's harder to perform, in that case I take an ear out and have a bit of stage and IEM sound to mix myself. Entirely down to who sets up the sound. IF Axl was having trouble with his in ears consistently his monitor engineer would've fired.

I don't think Axl actually has a realistic choice here with the advantages of the in ears despite the tech not agreeing with him 

Just now, Rovim said:

I don't think Axl actually has a realistic choice here with the advantages of the in ears despite the tech not agreeing with him 

The tech not agreeing with him is not an option though. It's a thankless job, but basically you have to give him exactly what he wants before he needs it, otherwise you're replaced.

The quality of their IEMs are light-years ahead of yours (I'm assuming you haven't the top line, maybe you do) or my sets also, they can also mix in crowd sound and all sorts. I think Axl is very used to how he sounds with in ears though 

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The tech not agreeing with him is not an option though. It's a thankless job, but basically you have to give him exactly what he wants before he needs it, otherwise you're replaced.

The quality of their IEMs are light-years ahead of yours (I'm assuming you haven't the top line, maybe you do) or my sets also, they can also mix in crowd sound and all sorts. I think Axl is very used to how he sounds with in ears though 

not really the imression I got. I mean, he seems to not like it and doesn't seem to find a way for it not to bother him. I can relate. Slash doesn't like in ears as well no?

41 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not really the imression I got. I mean, he seems to not like it and doesn't seem to find a way for it not to bother him. I can relate. Slash doesn't like in ears as well no?

Slash definitely doesn't like in ears. I don't think Slash and Axl share the same purist rock n roll approach though. I can't say for sure obviously but he seems to be more happy than unhappy with his IEMs when he's performing. I mean I know he's always talking and signalling his monitor engineer but it's common to need to turn things up and down, sometimes even song to song look at any major touring band and they will almost always be signalling for something. And this is especially an issue if you don't go to soundchecks😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash definitely doesn't like in ears. I don't think Slash and Axl share the same purist rock n roll approach though. I can't say for sure obviously but he seems to be more happy than unhappy with his IEMs when he's performing. I mean I know he's always talking and signalling his monitor engineer but it's common to need to turn things up and down, sometimes even song to song look at any major touring band and they will almost always be signalling for something. And this is especially an issue if you don't go to soundchecks😄

he goes to soundchecks sometimes, still seems to struggle more than most but I get your point. good in ears talk.

47 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Ah! That changes things a little. Well same would apply. If the unit was failing, they'd just replace it with a different system, it's very unlikely that multiple packs would fail so much so that they couldn't fix almost any issue within the space of a song. Like if his monitors were cutting in and out all night you can bet your ass his technician is going to be busy up until the next show making sure his pack is 100% working. 

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

he goes to soundchecks sometimes, still seems to struggle more than most but I get your point. good in ears talk.

Ha! We should have a separate sub forum for nerd IEM / sound talk... If there isn't one already?

• PERHAPS 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Ah! That changes things a little. Well same would apply. If the unit was failing, they'd just replace it with a different system, it's very unlikely that multiple packs would fail so much so that they couldn't fix almost any issue within the space of a song. Like if his monitors were cutting in and out all night you can bet your ass his technician is going to be busy up until the next show making sure his pack is 100% working. 

my guess it's Axl and also the tech is annoying for him and he can't make it feel like it's almost not there, or at least fully get used to it you know.

28 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Ha! We should have a separate sub forum for nerd IEM / sound talk... If there isn't one already?

The Milan IEM leak is fascinating. Crappy quality, but really interesting hearing a gig from 'the other side'. Him getting frustrated about all the teleprompters going out is also pretty funny

every person relates to a particular piece of tech differently and it's dictated by the person's preferred way of interacting with it. Its not always who's or what is to blame thing

Edited by Rovim