Guns 'n' Roses to play Olympic 2024 closing ceremony?

Was over in France the other week watching France Télévisions coverage of the opening ceremony.

At one point the conversation between the commentators turned to how it had been a star studded affair with Lady Gaga and Celine Dion involved, and then suggested there would be an even bigger list of American stars performing for the closing ceremony as it would form part of the hand over for LA 2028. 

They then started throwing out names of Los Angeles-linked acts that could play and pointedly mentioned Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Billie Eilish and GnR.

Didn't think much about it at the time as it just seemed like speculation, but this story broke this morning and has now got me wondering:
https://www.nme.com/news/music/olympics-2024-charli-xcx-teases-performance-with-billie-eilish-at-closing-ceremony-3782329

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

Wonder if they will use 'Trickery' again

We can joke all we want but at least they give their fans new albums and promote properly.

And here we are.. 💔

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

We can joke all we want but at least they give their fans new albums and promote properly.

And here we are.. 💔

Didn't there guitar player run over somebody and kill them a few months back? Or was that the player who left and was replaced? i haven't listened to them for years, they have some good songs though

• Wow 1

27 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Didn't there guitar player run over somebody and kill them a few months back? Or was that the player who left and was replaced? i haven't listened to them for years, they have some good songs though

Josh Klinghoffer, he hasn't been their guitar player since 2019.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Josh Klinghoffer, he hasn't been their guitar player since 2019.

That's the one, It was probably you who told me about it.

14 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

This could be the new - "will guns n roses play the superbowel this year?" Or "will they be on the new Terminator soundtrack?". 

2028 is in LA.

If they are still playing live at that point then I would say it's probably likely they will, they are the logical choice, at least Slash playing there national anthem 

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

I can’t say I keep up to date with them, they were a favourite during my teens but I grew out of them. Shocking story that though, just reading about it now.

I’ll stick with GNR.. 😅

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

That's the one, It was probably you who told me about it.

If they are still playing live at that point then I would say it's probably likely they will, they are the logical choice, at least Slash playing there national anthem 

Could've been... I'm sure it was mentioned in the RHCP thread in My World.

Slash joining a pop singer isn't too far of a stretch. But GNR doing this kind of high-profile performance isn't gonna happen - if they even make it to 2028. If there's any sort of 'LA classic rock band' it would most likely be Metallica. GNR simply aren't relevant enough for that kind of show.

• Like 1

Don't want to be depressing but I have doubts that Axl will still be performing in 2028. I think he may only have two or three more runs left in him. There were moments in 2023 where it seemed like he was at his breaking point. 

Edited by History2010

7 hours ago, LunsJail said:

They’re playing the Super Bowl and the VMAs as well

Was just gonna ask. Have we had the Super Bowl thread this year yet? Cause this time it surely will pan out well! 

Edited by jamillos
  • Haha 2

Oh sure sure, in fact, as a sport journalist, I just received the following email!

**FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**

Guns N' Roses to Rock the Paris Olympics Closing Ceremony with Sinatra, Elvis, and Michael Jackson!

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is excited to announce that Guns N' Roses will headline the closing ceremony of the Paris Olympics! In a groundbreaking performance, Frank Sinatra will provide background vocals for "Paradise City," Elvis Presley will join for "Heartbreak Hotel," and Michael Jackson  will moonwalk to "One in a Milion"

Axl Rose, lead vocalist of Guns N’ Roses, expressed his excitement: “We’ve always pushed the limits of rock, but this time, we’re taking it to a whole new level"

The IOC assures fans that advanced holographic technology will bring Sinatra, Elvis, and Michael to life on stage, creating an unforgettable experience that blends the past and present in perfect harmony.

Olympic Press Office

Email: press@olympics2024.com

Phone: +1-800-OLYMPIC

What an exciting time to be a GN'R fan, right guys?? <_<

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Incredible and nice and usefull topic !

I think there is one think we can say now :

From now on there will be no talkinig anymore anout Superbowwl Halftime shows.
We only discuss surprise shows by GNR for the Olympics....and let's keep this for Summer Olympics only please.

Please mods : no more talking about Superbowl shows, OK ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Are we just making shit up to tide us over now? 

We have been for quite a while now, just look at the "New album" thread. And the one before the current one. And the one before that...

• GNFNR 1

59 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

We have been for quite a while now, just look at the "New album" thread. And the one before the current one. And the one before that...

I know....I take an amnesia pill daily though...

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Saw the Can't Stop performance yesterday, but just saw the Tom Cruise thing with the By The Way remix, it sounded cool. The performance of Eddie was nice too, it's always a great live song.

Eddie is one of the best late career tracks of any old school band, I've heard in recent years! John goes off on one there! I think in terms of bands still making decent quality, those last two Chili's records had some really cool, out there and adventurous stuff, while still remaining classic. Hard to do ...