What is the last 'great' unheard GnR song?

We've had The General and Soul Monster this past year, songs in gnr folklore for some time that we (I) craved. Before that we had atlas shrugged and jackie chan (hardskool) as the big rumoured songs in 2019 to finally be heard. then before that hearing prostitute and there was a time on CD or live or leaked after the early 00s rumours felt huge.

But what is left? from those late 90s early 00s song titles list that we think do exist and would love to see the light of day? for me it is Oklahoma. which may or may not now be berlin or something else? any other song titles from that era spring to mind?

7 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

We've had The General and Soul Monster this past year, songs in gnr folklore for some time that we (I) craved. Before that we had atlas shrugged and jackie chan (hardskool) as the big rumoured songs in 2019 to finally be heard. then before that hearing prostitute and there was a time on CD or live or leaked after the early 00s rumours felt huge.

But what is left? from those late 90s early 00s song titles list that we think do exist and would love to see the light of day? for me it is Oklahoma. which may or may not now be berlin or something else? any other song titles from that era spring to mind?

To me it is Ides of March and Seven because we know so little about them. Was Ides of March included on the Locker leaks under a different name? Is Seven similar to The General and Monsters since it was presumably written around the same time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

To me it is Ides of March and Seven because we know so little about them. Was Ides of March included on the Locker leaks under a different name? Is Seven similar to The General and Monsters since it was presumably written around the same time.

ah yes, definitely seven. rumoured to be named after the film? 

I'd say Machine Gun but mainly Ides Of March

Not much is known about this one except Dizzy had a large hand in the writing, at think first it was just the name of a loop that he had created but grew from there into a song. Axl also confirmed that it was real in one of the 2008 chats on chinesedemocracy.com. Dave Dominguez, probably the first engineer on Chinese Democracy was the first to mention the song in his 2005 chat with Sp1at.com.

“I was a staff engineer at Rumbo Recorders and was about to quit or lose my mind . I thought it was time to get what clients I had (practically none) and get out. The manager came to me and said Guns was coming in to do their next record and they had no producer or engineer and that needed someone with experience so I said "yes" and she also said they would be writing for two months and then recording for two months and they would be it (haha) seven months later. I bailed on good terms with Axl and the band but not with the studio”.(David Dominguez Sp1at) “Most of the songs had working titles but I know that "Oklahoma" and "Ides of March" were songs that were almost complete.(David Dominguez Sp1at)

Going by the time he worked there Ides Of March must be from somewhere between January and July of 1998. His information seems likely to be very credible given that he and Axl remained friends for years after his time on the sessions.

• Like 1

Beta's Barn!

I reckon the locker leaks only scratched the surface of what Axl and the band come up with during the Chinese sessions. Stuff like Zodiac and Oklahoma/Berlin I'd like to see officially released in the not too distant future. I am of the belief that there is at least enough material for another great Guns N' Roses album, possibly more, from the Chinese Democracy sessions alone.

• Like 2

In terms of unheard, I can only think of Seven, but that could have been a locker leak under a different name. In terms of the locker leaks I’d love to hear a finished (vocals included) version of Zodiac, the demo is amazing 

23 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

ah yes, definitely seven. rumoured to be named after the film? 

I suspect that it's just an assumption. Based off Brain using movie samples, and of course the movie is quoted in Madagascar so i think people just guessed there may be a connection. Sometimes throughout the years when people mention it they spell it Se7en & maybe that kind of compounds the assumption too, given that's how the movie title is spelled. 

There's a few songs from the post UYI era that have killers as a theme in some way... From using the Zodiac cypher on the cover of TSI to possibly the song Zodiac itself, CITR, Shackler and a few older one's too come to think of it UTLH & DTJ, so it wouldn't surprise me if the guess about seven is right

• Like 1

I want to hear everything they recorded when Izzy came back to write with Duff in 96 or whatever. There was a photo on here a few years back of the master tapes being stored at a warehouse. I don’t care if the lyrics to one of them were about a visit to the dentist, I want to hear those riffs!

• Like 1

I haven’t heard anything that interests me. Everything would need a lot of reworking, either instrumentally, vocally or both. 
Oklahoma is the most interesting one but since we only have an instrumental version (that’s what I’ve listened to at least) it’s to early to consider it a big gun.

18 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I want to hear everything they recorded when Izzy came back to write with Duff in 96 or whatever. There was a photo on here a few years back of the master tapes being stored at a warehouse. I don’t care if the lyrics to one of them were about a visit to the dentist, I want to hear those riffs!

Machine Gun, Tooth puller and Down By The Ocean, they did about 10 songs in 8 days according to Izzy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Honestly with the release of The General and Monsters (which we all expected to be The General) there's nothing left for me that I'm waiting for. The feeling of liberation is incredible :lol:

You are very lucky. I pray for this liberation! 

3 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Machine Gun, Tooth puller and Down By The Ocean, they did about 10 songs in 8 days according to Izzy

Those were all non axl instrumentals though right?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Yes the week they were being recorded Axl was busy in litigation. Those songs were recorded the same week as the Oklahoma bombing. 

We know he at least wanted to work on one of them again because he phoned Izzy about Down By The ocean so he may have added vocals later or at least worked on them some more. who knows

• Like 1

It won't let me upload images, but I have Mick Walls Axl rose biography. it states in 05 chinese democracy tracklist was leaked and the songs were:

Chinese Democracy

This I love

IRS

Thyme

Substitute

The General

Seven

Ides of March

Catcher in the Rye

Leave me alone

The Blues

Closing in on you

TWAT

Obviously The blues became SOD but only 5 other tracks were on the final album in 2008. Seven, ides of march, Thyme, we've obviously heard lots of rumours about. Leave me alone became soul monster? Closing in on you and Substitute though I cannot think of any other references to, aside from this leaked tracklist. Anyone heard anything?

16 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I believe Toothpuller had lyrics that were sung by Izzy. Dizzy is quoted as making fun of the lyrics, being the obviously legendary songwriter that he is. 

9 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I believe Toothpuller had lyrics that were sung by Izzy. Dizzy is quoted as making fun of the lyrics, being the obviously legendary songwriter that he is. 

“Izzy used to be a great songwriter- his contributions to Guns N’ Roses first album are phenomenal. But, its almost like the guy has lost the fire… I mean I saw the guy a couple years back in the studio… and he was showing me a song he had just written called "Toothpuller"– it was literally about him visiting the dentist and getting a tooth pulled out. [Dizzy then sings some of the lyrics] I mean… this is a guy who wrote some badass songs and now he’s writing about getting his tooth pulled… I mean come on…can you imagine Axl singing that live?’(Dizzy https://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=30945 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

“Izzy used to be a great songwriter- his contributions to Guns N’ Roses first album are phenomenal. But, its almost like the guy has lost the fire… I mean I saw the guy a couple years back in the studio… and he was showing me a song he had just written called "Toothpuller"– it was literally about him visiting the dentist and getting a tooth pulled out. [Dizzy then sings some of the lyrics] I mean… this is a guy who wrote some badass songs and now he’s writing about getting his tooth pulled… I mean come on…can you imagine Axl singing that live?’(Dizzy https://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=30945 

That’s the one! What a douche Dizzy is here 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

That’s the one! What a douche Dizzy is here 

TBF that quote came from a fan who spoke to him, so the comment could have been added to or made to make him look worse, but yeah he sounds like a dick there lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

In the same interview he also says bad things about Adler - strangest of all is this comment for me.

In terms of the tracklisting on Chinese Democracy, what is your favorite track on the album?

umm… I don’t know… last year Brain had this song called ‘the General’ that was really cool… and another song called "we were lying [not sure if thats the name he said]" … I don’t know [Dizzy shrugs]

Why did everyone who heard it love 'The General so much? Is it the same version that we've all heard? I wonder which song is 'We Were Lying'?

27 minutes ago, siraddam said:

In the same interview he also says bad things about Adler - strangest of all is this comment for me.

In terms of the tracklisting on Chinese Democracy, what is your favorite track on the album?

umm… I don’t know… last year Brain had this song called ‘the General’ that was really cool… and another song called "we were lying [not sure if thats the name he said]" … I don’t know [Dizzy shrugs]

Why did everyone who heard it love 'The General so much? Is it the same version that we've all heard? I wonder which song is 'We Were Lying'?

When Axl was asked about song names in the forum chats We Were Lying was one of the one's he was asked about, he confirmed other songs like Zodiac were real but not that one. So either it's not real or the fan who spoke to Dizzy misheard him

If the person misheard the title maybe it was Lies They Tell/Scraped

Edited by Rindmelon

9 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

This, plus Seven and Oklahoma 

Polish businessman/owner of Fashion TV and seller of shitty Vodka could have them. Or perhaps the owner of The Box in Vienna, that's the club where Monsters and other songs were played that time