What is the last 'great' unheard GnR song?

On 9/2/2024 at 10:00 PM, JimiRose said:

We've had The General and Soul Monster this past year, songs in gnr folklore for some time that we (I) craved. Before that we had atlas shrugged and jackie chan (hardskool) as the big rumoured songs in 2019 to finally be heard. then before that hearing prostitute and there was a time on CD or live or leaked after the early 00s rumours felt huge.

But what is left? from those late 90s early 00s song titles list that we think do exist and would love to see the light of day? for me it is Oklahoma. which may or may not now be berlin or something else? any other song titles from that era spring to mind?

Obviously the big guns songs

Every Rose has its thorn and Cock-a-roach Soup

🙂

6 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

I wonder how different The General was pre-NITL?

And would people’s view of the song improve?

Personally, I like the track. Guess we’ll never know.

Still would have axls dreadful singing, shotty lyrics and repeated verses.

2 hours ago, vloors said:

Obviously the big guns songs

Every Rose has its thorn and Cock-a-roach Soup

🙂

Still would have axls dreadful singing, shotty lyrics and repeated verses.

Yep. The singing is the worst element, by far.

13 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yep. The singing is the worst element, by far.

Yeah, it was like throwing together recorded parts of an artist who’s already passed away. If perfectionist Axl would care a little bit he would have put some work into these releases to make them more cohesive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

The Julius Caesar part is why some assume Seven is Circus Maximus. I don't think there is anything that could be considered proof though. 

Yeah, it's even less proof than Me and My Elvis being Soul Monster.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

The riff after the bridge in Better. Right after "I only wanted you to see things for yourself".

True. Between the end of that interlude and the half chorus. If I counted right, it’s in ¾.

13 hours ago, Gianni78 said:

Sorry

Which part? I counted it all in 4/4. 

8 hours ago, Cosmo said:

True. Between the end of that interlude and the half chorus. If I counted right, it’s in ¾.

Which part? I counted it all in 4/4. 

Sorry is in 6/8, maybe you are counting it in 4 but listen to the Hi Hat, you have subdivision of 3 in every beat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gianni78 said:

Sorry is in 6/8, maybe you are counting it in 4 but listen to the Hi Hat, you have subdivision of 3 in every beat.

I can't believe I never even noticed, the song just flows so well. Unlike metal songs where they force in weird time signatures just to be unique but it's hard to even follow because it doesn't serve the riff, it was just done for the sake of adding complexity.

On 9/5/2024 at 1:33 AM, Rindmelon said:

The Julius Caesar part is why some assume Seven is Circus Maximus. I don't think there is anything that could be considered proof though. 

At the risk of dumping more baseless speculation into this thread, I've always suspected Circus Maximus eventually became the song "By and Down" by A Perfect Circle. The opening riff sounds almost identical.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Seven for sure. 

I’m also very curious about Cuban Skies

I know it was a baseless rumour, but I kinda hope Dummy really is Cuban Skies... or something else that eventually gets released. That instrumental has tons of potential.

At this point I feel like Seven is kind of becoming the new General... we don't know much about it, but it's being hyped anyway just because it's a song we know about. It's funny to look back and see Soul Monster almost brushed off in anticipation for the epics that the General and Atlas would certainly be, and SM ended up being way better than the other over-hyped songs. State Of Grace was better than both of them too, and it seems to have been abandoned decades ago. Seven might be a cool song, but my expectations are pretty low for what's left in the vault.

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

but I kinda hope Dummy really is Cuban Skies..

I sent that to the guy on the Hoffman forums that mentioned Axl playing it to him when he met him at a bar in '04 or whenever it was and unfortunately said it wasn't the same song. 

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I know it was a baseless rumour, but I kinda hope Dummy really is Cuban Skies... or something else that eventually gets released. That instrumental has tons of potential.

At this point I feel like Seven is kind of becoming the new General... we don't know much about it, but it's being hyped anyway just because it's a song we know about. It's funny to look back and see Soul Monster almost brushed off in anticipation for the epics that the General and Atlas would certainly be, and SM ended up being way better than the other over-hyped songs. State Of Grace was better than both of them too, and it seems to have been abandoned decades ago. Seven might be a cool song, but my expectations are pretty low for what's left in the vault.

I really don't get how anybody can STILL be excited about these old ass song titles after the offical release of The General. It's madness. XD

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I really don't get how anybody can STILL be excited about these old ass song titles after the offical release of The General. It's madness. XD

Because either they liked The General or they liked some of the other released or unreleased songs (like Monster). How is that hard to get? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I’m excited even though “The General” is just ok. And it’s because what we long believed was “The General” was actually “Monsters” and that song is great. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, justynius said:

At the risk of dumping more baseless speculation into this thread, I've always suspected Circus Maximus eventually became the song "By and Down" by A Perfect Circle. The opening riff sounds almost identical.

Good catch , gotta say I can hear it, not just the intro its when the drums come in.

Edited by Rindmelon

For me, all of the releases have been really underwhelming, I think monsters is decent and a good indication of where newgnr were heading.  I think the next “big gun” will be something new and not a recycled track, that’s if Axl can even sing, which I doubt.

35 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

For me, all of the releases have been really underwhelming, I think monsters is decent and a good indication of where newgnr were heading.  I think the next “big gun” will be something new and not a recycled track, that’s if Axl can even sing, which I doubt.

I think he can sing with the help of studio tinkering, it's writing where I doubt he has anything left in the tank. Duff has written a new song for GNR ("Amen"), him handing that over to Axl is probably our best chance for a legit new song.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I think he can sing with the help of studio tinkering, it's writing where I doubt he has anything left in the tank. Duff has written a new song for GNR ("Amen"), him handing that over to Axl is probably our best chance for a legit new song.

Which I look forward to hearing in about 3 years time on a Duff EP. Our first real indication of what Axl has left in the studio will be Love To Love. Agree with you on the writing comment

14 hours ago, Dean said:

I sent that to the guy on the Hoffman forums that mentioned Axl playing it to him when he met him at a bar in '04 or whenever it was and unfortunately said it wasn't the same song. 

As if he's gonna remember a song he heard once in 2003 at 4 in the morning.:lol:

Edited by estrangedtwat

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Where's this info from about "amen"?

27 minutes ago, Ollster42 said:

Where's this info from about "amen"?

Duff mentioned it on a podcast back in January, but the link I saw doesn't work anymore.

He said he records 'crappy demos' on his ipad and sent one to Slash called 'Amen', inspired by the Isreal/Palestine conflict, which he thinks could be a sequel to Civil War.