Favorite (Non-Vocal) Demo Out Of The Village Leaks

It's been a while since i listened to the village leaks - but today i did dive into them once again and i thought (since we got nothing much left to do or to speculate about in the gnr-world) that it would be nice to know the three songs you think are the strongest among the bunch we have: where's the most potential to be found, where would you invest if u were axl and which song would like to hear as a finished version?

for me it's:

a) "zodiac 13" (i really like the feel to it and groove it has)

b) "me and my elvis" (lots of great melodies that could be developed and varied from what we have here) 

c) quicksong (how can u turn that "smells like teen spirit"-rip-off into something unique? ;))

so feel free to discuss or just list songs here. 

cheers, c.

• Like 1

Dub Suplex, not that I think it sounds very "GNR" but I think Axl could have had a cool little electronic album in the late 90s if he went down that kind of route

Oklahoma for a more GNR type of sound

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

If it didn't have vocals, I listened once or twice and dont really remember anything that stood out.:shrugs:

Then this thread was probably not for you, was it?

Anyway, I am not counting Quicksong since we have it with scratch vocals, otherwise it would be in my top three. 

1. Zodiac 13. It is monotonous but great. And I really like the melodious break that starts at 3:12 (and the intro to the break with the drum rolls).
2. Oklahoma.
3. The Rebel. I just like the sluggish, hard riff.

Honorable mentions: Prom Village, P.R.L., Mustache, Dummy, My & My Elvis.

That's eight great instrumentals. 

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Then this thread was probably not for you, was it?

Anyway, I am not counting Quicksong since we have it with scratch vocals, otherwise it would be in my top three. 

1. Zodiac 13. It is monotonous but great. And I really like the melodious break that starts at 3:12 (and the intro to the break with the drum rolls).
2. Oklahoma.
3. The Rebel. I just like the sluggish, hard riff.

Honorable mentions: Prom Village, P.R.L., Mustache, Dummy, My & My Elvis.

That's eight great instrumentals. 

I guess I shouldn't give my opinion on the topic because it is not the same as everyone else, hey?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zodiac 13

Me & My Elvis

I do not think Zodiac 13 should be reworked by NITL, unless they have Slash just do a solo or something on it and leave the rest of the leads alone. I hope we get a leak from that era with Axl on it. 

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Quick song, what a great riff and solo. so much potential to be a banger

I'd imagine there's a late 2001-2004 version of that song with completed Axl vocals and Bucket's solo in the mix. Same with Silkworms, OMG, etc. We need more leaks. 

17 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'd imagine there's a late 2001-2004 version of that song with completed Axl vocals and Bucket's solo in the mix. Same with Silkworms, OMG, etc. We need more leaks. 

You'd think if there was that it would be one slash would be all over for the riff. Or Axl would want to release, but the fact we haven't had a leak, a rumour of slash on it or seen it under any guise on leaked album tracklists worries me

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I guess I shouldn't give my opinion on the topic because it is not the same as everyone else, hey?

Huh? The thread is about your favorite instrumental tracks off the Village leaks. If you don't have any then this thread is obviously not for you. What is it that you don't grasp? Similarly, I won't pollute threads about the best songs from SMKC with me letting people know I don't have any. It's about a minimum if courtesy to others. 

2 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I have the same opinion as you. The instrumentals were not my thing at all.

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Huh? The thread is about your favorite instrumental tracks off the Village leaks. If you don't have any then this thread is obviously not for you. What is it that you don't grasp? Similarly, I won't pollute threads about the best songs from SMKC with me letting people know I don't have any. It's about a minimum if courtesy to others. 

I don't think it's polluting a thread if someone gives their opinion and does it in a polite way

• Like 4

Tonto, Oklahoma, Zodiac are all absolute top- tier to me. Tighten them up, throw some kick- butt Axl vocals and Slash leads on them, and they would be very high- quality GNR songs for me. 

Quicksong, Me and My Elvis, etc. all fucking rock, too. 

If he finished all of these in 2001, he would have had an absolutely stellar heavy metal GNR album =(

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

You'd think if there was that it would be one slash would be all over for the riff. Or Axl would want to release, but the fact we haven't had a leak, a rumour of slash on it or seen it under any guise on leaked album tracklists worries me

I agree, Quick Song would suit Slash and Duff well. The name of that song is certainly a working title, so perhaps it exists on the CD2 song list leaked screenshot under a different name, or maybe it was intended for the “third album”. Seven and Berlin/Oklahoma are also missing from that list, as is Zodiac. Maybe one of the aforementioned is “Monstrocity”.

Based on the somewhat advanced state the track was in 2001, with vocals definitely being worked on, I’d say there’s a good chance Axl wrote and recorded a full vocal take for it. 

• Like 1

Oklahoma is solid. I don't know why but, to me, that song just screams Tommy Stinson.

Devious Bastard seems like something that could have been an instrumental while Axl rests his voice.

Me and My Elvis sounds like something made with Garageband, electronic drums and a very digital Line6 guitar amp.

Zodiac 13 is probably the coolest. Really had Buckethead written all over it.

Inside Out also sounds like something Buckethead would've made and presented to the band. 

PRL is really digital, sounds like a Chris Pitman jam.

Billionaire could have been Buckethead's numchuck music,

Dub Suplex is basically a Buckethead track. I can't imagine Axl singing anything on it.

D Tune is pretty cool.

Mustache was probably something they could have worked on and it would have sounded like something closer to a Guns N' Roses song. The first half, at least.

Curly Shuffle has a decent riff. It's something I could imagine in a "NuGnR UYI"

As it Began could have been a live intro do Street of Dreams, Estranged or November Rain.

Tonto could have become a decent GnR track.

I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish with Thyme.

Dummy is all over the place.

Circus Maximus is trippy and pretty cool.