Linkin Park returns

rocknroll41

Emily Armstrong is the new singer. New album is called From Zero and comes out in November. New single The Emptiness Machine just dropped. They also just played a surprise show, and will be doing some other warm up shows next week, followed by a world tour in 2025.

I watched part of the live stream and listened to the single. Emily is a good fit, I'm not a huge LP fan aside from nostalgia for their first few albums, but I'll give this album a listen. Chester is irreplaceable though, I got a bit misty-eyed during the live stream, but I have faith they'll handle this as respectfully as possible.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 3

Watched the livestream yesterday. She did a very good job. Struggled at parts, but normal. I'm 100% convinced they did the right thing moving on. New track is solid, definitely better than anything on that horrible last album from 2017. Chester is a hard frontman to replace, it was smart to chose a woman so it's less of a direct comparison, even if she's clearly trying to sound like Chester. And, apparently, they also changed their drummer. Wonder why. Well, Linkin Park was the first rock band I got into and, even though I rarely listen to them nowadays, I'm glad they're back and I'm rooting for this to be succesful. It's kinda the same way I feel about Guns N' Roses as a fan, even though I think Linkin Park has a better chance of making me happy in the future :D

EDIT: 

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

@Cosmo the band did an interview yesterday and confirmed that the old drummer just simply didn’t wanna come back and that he “drifted away” from them a few years ago.

If I had the money they supposedly have, I would've preferred to retire at 40 too :lol:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I watched part of the live stream and listened to the single. Emily is a good fit, I'm not a huge LP fan aside from nostalgia for their first few albums, but I'll give this album a listen. Chester is irreplaceable though, I got a bit misty-eyed during the live stream, but I have faith they'll handle this as respectfully as possible.

Yeah this is kind of where i'm at with it. Song sounds decent, when she sings with grit in her voice it's clear she is trying to sound like Chester (that's not a diss) but this one song may not be reflective of how the rest of the album will sound I guess. I think some bands can't get away with this but I think Linkin Park can somehow.

• Like 1

Don't like her at all.

Mike's singing is nothing special He was the rapper. Chester was the best singer for LP

I think the band should change their name and not let her sing any of Chester's songs.

Rob the original drummer left the band too. That should tell them something.

I know it's been years since Chester passed, but it won't ever be the same.

No one ever saw Chester's pain and depression. Shame on them.

Probably about money, but I doubt these guys need any more money. Just don't feel it's right.

I enjoyed the new song, and might play it a couple more times to get a better feel for it, but it probably wont end up on my playlist or anything l. I still will check out the album when it drops.

Hearing what I will now refer to as the Chester songs tuned up to match her range was a lil weird lol. She did great on Lying From You, glad to hear that kne played in the original tuning, and her slight voice cracks i kinda found suited her.

2 hours ago, Mendez said:

I enjoyed the new song, and might play it a couple more times to get a better feel for it, but it probably wont end up on my playlist or anything l. I still will check out the album when it drops.

Hearing what I will now refer to as the Chester songs tuned up to match her range was a lil weird lol. She did great on Lying From You, glad to hear that kne played in the original tuning, and her slight voice cracks i kinda found suited her.

I didn’t mind all the tuning changes. In the end (pun intended), the songs are still the songs.

Haven't been into LP since In The End was popular. I remember buying Reanimation not really understanding that I was buying a remix album and being disappointed they weren't the original cuts :lol: 

Going with a woman is probably the coolest thing they could do. I'm actually familiar with her other band Dead Sara.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I've read she's into scientology and was a friend of Danny Masterson the rapist and supported him in court one time. she said she shouldn't have done that. hmmm.

Yeah I just looked into this a bit. Soured me on the whole thing tbh 

1 hour ago, Rindmelon said:

Yeah I just looked into this a bit. Soured me on the whole thing tbh 

I do think musically the singer was a good choice considering the tough circumstances but I wouldn't ever collaborate with a person with that.... background. I'll still give the album a listen cause I like the single. it's pretty good imho.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 6:29 AM, rocknroll41 said:

@Cosmo the band did an interview yesterday and confirmed that the old drummer just simply didn’t wanna come back and that he “drifted away” from them a few years ago.

Why can't this happen with Frank and GN'R? Just kidding. Frank is reliable, but we all want Brain back, especially Melissa. ;) 

12 hours ago, Rovim said:

I've read she's into scientology and was a friend of Danny Masterson the rapist and supported him in court one time. she said she shouldn't have done that. hmmm.

Some people are blinded by the seemingly obvious when it comes to friends and family. Like mothers of teens or young adults who get their heads blown off robbing a store at gunpoint. It is a form of denial for some, but in time reality can settle in. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Why can't this happen with Frank and GN'R? Just kidding. Frank is reliable, but we all want Brain back, especially Melissa. ;) 

Some people are blinded by the seemingly obvious when it comes to friends and family. Like mothers of teens or young adults who get their heads blown off robbing a store at gunpoint. It is a form of denial for some, but in time reality can settle in. 

not when you are still in a cult?

Good effort!

Linkin Park without Chester, is like Guns'N'Roses without Axl.

Some front men cannot be replaced.

Like Queen without Freddie, atleast it means what remains of Linkin Park can tour and make a living. She sounds good! :) 

I remember when Bruce Dickinson wanted to have a solo career and quit Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden found a decent replacement lead singer. In the End (pardon the pun) Bruce got back with the boys! 

Edited by star
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, star said:

Good effort!

Like Queen without Freddie, atleast it means what remains of Linkin Park can tour and make a living. She sounds good! :) 

I remember when Bruce Dickinson wanted to have a solo career and quit Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden found a decent replacement lead singer. In the End (pardon the pun) Bruce got back with the boys! 

a brave nu world in a brave nu world

• Like 1

2 hours ago, star said:

Good effort!

I agree. Even if Guns found someone who sounded like late '80s-'90s Axl, it wouldn't be the same. Axl's stage presence, and even how he sounds today, is part of the experience. 

AC/DC and Journey are good examples of bands who successfully replaced their singers, and in both cases were due to very serious health related reasons. (And death, in the case of AC/DC) 

I see a lot of people online saying “shinoda is just doing this for the cash.”

While that’s probably true, it doesn’t really surprise me. This isn’t the first time he’s done something like that. Last year he released 33 different versions of the same song (yes, I’m serious) and it was clearly just for profit. He also recently got involved with NFT stuff.

I still like the guy overall, though. He started Linkin Park. If he wants to continue it, that’s his choice, regardless of who else came back or didn’t. The new song is good, and replacing Chester with a chick is smart, to avoid direct comparisons. The new keys will take getting used to, but no big deal. She can sing-scream. That’s what matters.

Her shady past dampers the experience a bit, but I’ll still listen to the new album on streaming out of morbid curiosity. Not sure if I’m gonna go see them live now, though, given what we’ve all learned about her in these last few days. Doesn’t matter either way, though, cause apparently the tickets have been selling well (at least in New York, they have).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Chester's son Draven hates that LP has a new singer. His dad was one of a kind. Can'at replace Chester. Probably why they went with a woman. I don't like her voice and she won't be able to sing the old stuff like Chester did.  Those songs were written for his pain and abuse. No one can touch it.

When/where did Draven said something? I didn't find anything about that. I read that Jaime doesn't support this and blames new LP for all kinds of things but he seems like a conspiracy nut and Chester's widow even has a restraining order against him etc.. And now apparently he wants tickets to one of the shows lol. 

• Like 2

Made an error it was Chester's other son. Anyway the poor man is getting death threats. What ever happened to speaking your mind in America?  It's is opinion that Chester would be hurt by this and people can't just disagree they have to go to threating his life? WTF?

Also Rob the drummer isn't in the band anymore and Brad the guitar player isn't touring with them.  This should tell Mike something.

I actually met the band in Dallas a long time ago. The only one who was friendly ws Brad and Chester. Mike never looked up to any of his fans. Was talking to Brad the whole time. We felt like we were invisable. I think it's disprespectful ti chester's memory. He was one of a kind. His loss is still felt to this day. It's been 7 years since he died. I can't believe none of his and mates knew the pain he was in.