How have your Guns N'Roses opinions changed? πŸ€”πŸ’‘

The first time I heard The General, I immediately thought,"The General is such a good song, it's phenomenal! πŸ₯° The very next time I listened to The General, I thought,"Holy shit, The General sounds JARRING and bad! πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« In my defense, the first time I listened to The General, it was in a crowded place with lots of noise. The second time, it was in a less crowded place and much more quieter. The General vocals clash hard against the music and it sounds JARRING. Vocals and the music should mesh well together, not clash hard against each other. πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«πŸ’‘

Β 

What about you? How have your Guns N'Roses opinions changed? πŸ€”πŸ’‘

β€œThis is gonna be stupid.” - me in late 2015 when the Slash/Duff rumors began.

I was wrong. It hasn’t been near what a lot of the people here hoped for, but to me, it’s brought a lot of enjoyment, with live shows, watching streams, hearing rumors, hearing new ish songs, setlist changes. I’ve been happy with it.

Again, I can understand why some have become pretty underwhelmed, but it’s worked for me.Β 

• Like 2

I used to be 100% in on Axl’s vision for Chinese democracy and really thought he was going to conquer the world again. I feel like in 2006 he had a chance, but then seemed to give up on it. Looking back, it was way too much to expect 1 person to take on so much of the burden. Anyway, I’m happy with what the last 8 years have brought….a good, steady, professional GNR that most never thought would happen. I mean the time since the reunion to now is longer than they were together during their prime. I don’t think anyone thought that possible.Β 

• Like 3

I, when I was first learning about Guns N'Roses thought the Singer in Welcome To The Jungle was COMPLETELY ripping off the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer. At the time, my music channels would mostly ONLY play Sweet Child Of Mine and I honestly thought that Guns N'Roses was a ONE HIT Wonder Band! 🀣🀭 IΒ  thought,"The Welcome To The Jungle Singer has a VERY creepy obsession with the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer. πŸ˜±πŸ˜³πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β˜’οΈπŸ€¨ He copied his tattoos, his singing style, his clothing style, he copied his hair,Β  his dancing style, he even made himself LOOK JUST like him! He fucking made himself a carbon copy of him. There's one thing to be a fan of another Singer,Β  but it's a COMPLETELY creepy thing to make yourself a carbon copy of someone you are a fan of. The Welcome To The Jungle has a great singing voice, but he needs to find his own voice, not make himself a creepy carbon copy of his idol. I went on a music forum ranting about the Welcome To The Jungle Singer completely ripping off the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer and that the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer should SUE the Welcome To The Jungle Singer." Posters responded,"The Welcome To The Jungle and the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer are the SAME Man, you IDIOT!" My opinion about the "Ripping off and needing to sue changed REALLY fast after I was informed ofΒ  the Welcome To The Jungle Singer and the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer being the SAME person! 🀣🀭

Edited by Karice

45 minutes ago, Karice said:

I, when I was first learning about Guns N'Roses thought the Singer in Welcome To The Jungle was COMPLETELY ripping off the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer.

Interesting.

On a similar note i remember listening to AFD for the first time and looking at the picture of the band, trying to figure out who was the main vocals on It's So Easy because the style was so different. I think i concluded it was Izzy.

I knew the GnR Comeback dream was over forever by 2014. I expected the CD follow up in 2011 initially. then 2012. When It didn't come in 2014 i knew it would never come. Then we get the reunion rumours and once it became clear by 2017 it was just touring, i actually started to dislike the reunion as it was a barrier to a new album. here we are, nearing 2025 and still 17 years on, no new album coming. 1993-2008 15 years, then 2008-2025 17 years. What a disaster.Β 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, Jakey Styley said:

I used to think Axl was a musical genius, now I realize he's far from that (barely fucking makes music), I just really enjoy his particular touch for songwriting.

I don't know if he's a musical genius, some would argue that he is. But, not being prolific shouldn't be a measuring stick for that. And the reverse applies, being prolific certainly doesn't mean you're a musical genuis.Β 

• Like 3

On 9/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, JAxlMorrison said:

β€œThis is gonna be stupid.” - me in late 2015 when the Slash/Duff rumors began.

I was wrong. It hasn’t been near what a lot of the people here hoped for, but to me, it’s brought a lot of enjoyment, with live shows, watching streams, hearing rumors, hearing new ish songs, setlist changes. I’ve been happy with it.

Again, I can understand why some have become pretty underwhelmed, but it’s worked for me.Β 

Β 

By 2014, even though I enjoyed nuGNR, I was definitely in the camp of "if they're just gonna tour the old songs forever, get back with Slash and Duff".

I figured at the very least having Slash back would spark some kind of fire in Axl, and maybe he'd be motivated to get back to making music, but obviously I was wrong. That first stadium run was a really cool moment, but "underwhelming" is a polite way to frame the reunion...

Turned out the only thing that really got him into gear was AC/DC, which I was also wrong about lol. When those rumours started I thought there was no way they'd be true.

I enjoy GNR as a live act, or a legacy act, whatever. They've now spent over eight years together not recording a new record, so I've pretty much given up any hope it'll actually happen. Part of me was dumb enough to think covid really did cause a delay in plans. But once they came out of quarantine without any studio time, I realized this is all it will be.Β 

As far as Axl's "new GNR." I still think the Bucket/Finck era band could have been something special in the early 2000s. It is what it is though. "Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years."

• Like 1

I came into GNR around 2006. I unfortunately missed most of the CD myth and the Bucket-Alien Finck era but arrived just in time for what I think is peak Axl.

Back then I used to think that Axl can manage his aging well, singing wise. After started digging out the 2001 and 2002 clips I remember thinking wow he did took a step back, made changes in his prep or regiment or whatever, and kicked ass again.

To be fair the AC/DC run probably messed it up, and regardless Axl would have never reached 2006 level again. Age made sure of that. And yet I still think 2016 - 2024 decline was too large and I don't think he own up to that yet. Sometimes I'm worried that he just doesn't give a f. Debuting Perhaps live I think was the biggest case in point. It was clear he didn't rehearse or necessarily even give a thought on how to sing the chorus with his 2020s voice. He just winging it live until he settled on something few shows in lol. It made me think that he hoard all the songs because he doesn't want the unnecessary pressure of figuring out how to sing them live.

Still love the fucker though

The music has stayed the same for me, essential in fact. Lightning in a bottle, but if not them someone else might've filled that vaccum just the same when they broke into the mainstream. Which is why I was always more interested and intrigued by the Illusions, something about personalities clashing with the music on top of debauchery and decadence(Complicity).

Β 

As for the members I didn't follow much into the solo ventures of the departing guns, Axl did the crime imo of not sticking to his guns and unfolding his vision for the CD era, no it wouldn't have proven his genius, but rather some closure and understanding, even some nuggets of originality, instead the band should've ended when they split.

Β 

James Bond said it best.

I still love GNR/Axl deep down, always will. β€˜04-β€˜12 were my true obsession years. β€˜16-β€˜18 was very exciting but the β€œreunion” buzz wore off after a couple of years. With each tour I always check for reviews, videos, and always hope they play amazingly. I only wish them the best. But as Axl once said β€œWhat I thought was beautiful, is only memories”.
I know they’re a touring nostalgia act now. And that’s okay, I had my years of fun fandom and I’m grateful for how those years and their music shaped me as a person and a music lover.Β 

That said, I eagerly await any new music they have. The General was meh to me. Perhaps was okay, Hard Skool was okay, Absurd was okay. Nothing I consider amazing, but still, I cling on to GNR. Always will.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

I still love GNR/Axl deep down, always will. β€˜04-β€˜12 were my true obsession years. β€˜16-β€˜18 was very exciting but the β€œreunion” buzz wore off after a couple of years. With each tour I always check for reviews, videos, and always hope they play amazingly. I only wish them the best. But as Axl once said β€œWhat I thought was beautiful, is only memories”.
I know they’re a touring nostalgia act now. And that’s okay, I had my years of fun fandom and I’m grateful for how those years and their music shaped me as a person and a music lover.Β 

That said, I eagerly await any new music they have. The General was meh to me. Perhaps was okay, Hard Skool was okay, Absurd was okay. Nothing I consider amazing, but still, I cling on to GNR. Always will.

Hmm. A LOT of Guns N' Roses Fans said that Perhaps is a REALLY PHENOMENAL song , one of the BEST Guns N' Roses songs ever, not justΒ  okay, πŸ€”Β 

• PERHAPS 1

1 hour ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

β€œAxl please release new music!”

*Releases [blank]*Β 

β€œNot like that! That sucks!”

”Why doesn’t gnr release music anymore? We need a new album!”

Β 

repeat…

LMAO! 🀣🀭