Joker: Folie à Deux

I just seen this. I liked the first Joker film. It was never something that I thought was as good as the film that found itself placed on a pedestal by some though.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but had seen the bad reviews from a month ago from the early screenings. I was open minded about the musical aspect, even though I tend to dislike the genre. I even thought through some of it, that at least there was a vision (that doesn't quite work) and an attempt at something. Unfortunately -

Spoiler

the fact that musicals numbers are mostly in his head (or are they all?) renders it worthless. The ending after itself renders the entire film pointless.

...and even if those things hadn't happened, the fact is 50% of the film is recapping the first.

Also this is not really a spoiler, but it feels like there wasn't much of an idea about what to do with this film when it was commissioned. This was a film that didn't need to be made and those that really wanted a sequel (base demographics for the first) will hate this. I almost admire the 180 in direction, but ultimately the things above in spoiler tags mean that no one really gets anything from this.

It's not The Matrix: Resurrections level bad or anything, but it's a 2/5 for me. Ga Ga/Phoenix good acting, script/plot bad.

I have yet to see the new movie, but enjoyed the first one. After watching the trailer i am sticking with my theory i had after the first movie.

Arther Fleck is a schizophrenic, half of what we see in the movie is real and half the movie never happened. 
i watched the trailer and my guess is Harley Quinn is not real. It’s all in his head. 

He never shot Murray, he did kill the other guys though. Murray did make fun of him on tv, but he never talked to Arther. He just imagined it. 

Arther Fleck is not sophisticated enough to be the criminal mastermind we've seen before in other movies. But yet he is scary in a similar way because people like him exist in real life. I plan on seeing the movie Thursday and will update after i do. 

Love this thread. My girlfriend and I loved the first Joker, watched it multiple times. We saw the new one last night and were so disappointed. We're both not musical fans and she's also not a Gaga fan. I thought it was just so boring and long. Horrible ending too. Should've known why so many seats were available at like every showing that I looked at for days. Really shocked this is the direction they went in. Definitely seems like they were grasping at straws for any concept of a new film.

I really enjoyed the first Joker. I loved the different approach Joaquin Phoenix and the writters had for the Joker. Completely different personality to what's usual, and it fit him perfectly. So yeah, considering everything I read about Folie a Deux, I'm not watching it. Studios need to know when to stop. Not everything has to have a sequel, a spinoff, or be a franchise. There are barely any big one-off movies anymore. They're getting every last recognisable household name and transforming it into a trilogy or a cinematic universe. Look at Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, freaking Willy Wonka. I refuse to buy tickets to see things like this. It's such a shame. 

• Like 1

a waste of Joaquin. I think in their minds, they figured it would speak to a larger audience or some shit and  they'll make a lot of money but forgot to actually come up with a good script/concept that is appealing to those who liked the first Joker. they're so inconsistent and confused. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dean said:

I seen this last night. I went in with really low expectations with how widely shat on it has been across the media and what not, but I actually enjoyed it - probably wouldn't go and see another 4DX film though :lol:

I liked it as well... but never thought this would get a 4DX release?! What were the extra effects, getting sprayed in rainy scenes? Top Gun: Maverick was fantastic in that format and it made the battle scenes in Napoleon a bit more immersive but I'm scratching my head on what they would do for this movie.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Amir said:

I liked it as well... but never thought this would get a 4DX release?! What were the extra effects, getting sprayed in rainy scenes? Top Gun: Maverick was fantastic in that format and it made the battle scenes in Napoleon a bit more immersive but I'm scratching my head on what they would do for this movie.

I suspect everytime "that's life plays", they open a large suspended box above every seat containing shit.

The more I think of this film, the more I think it may be the most miserable big budget film I've ever seen.

On 10/9/2024 at 5:32 AM, Rovim said:

a waste of Joaquin. I think in their minds, they figured it would speak to a larger audience or some shit and  they'll make a lot of money but forgot to actually come up with a good script/concept that is appealing to those who liked the first Joker. they're so inconsistent and confused. 

Legend has it, it was his idea. Him and the director had creative control and the studio went along with it, due to how much money the first made. GaGa supposedly signed on before there was a finished script.

Also apparently

Spoiler

Christoper Nolan years ago when he was still a higher up/consultant on DC films said they couldn't do the ending of this where the guy cuts his mouth with a knife. Apparently the first film was supposed to end with Arthur doing that himself in some kind of weird way that would make people think of Ledger's Joker.

Who knows for sure except the studio, but this is a pointless feel bad film.

51 minutes ago, Amir said:

Sprayed for rainy scenes and when he was getting clubbed in the back by the guards, you were getting hits to the back too. Car journeys, they had the seats moving quite a bit, I was unaware this was all in action for the ads too, so it was moving the seats like the RAF ad if you get similar in your neck of the woods - and when there was the explosion at the end, they sprayed smoke down the front - all fun and games :lol:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah the future of DC interests me way more than Marvel now.

I got Marvel fatigue really early, around the time Iron Man 3 came out. They mostly seem too cookie-cutter. Wish that being said, I believe Marvel has been handled way better than how Disney is handling Star Wars, and some of the newer Marvels are amazing. I like the darker nature of DC, overall. I also like Zack Snyder's directing.