SMKC5 in the works!

460896120_1038415374912768_4089163967231

Slash: Back at it for new record coming sooner than later. The three of us starting the initial framework. Then Frank, then Myles. Recording in November. RnFn! #Conspirators
iiii]; )'

As expected, Myles will record the vocals after his solo tour is finished (this years' part, Dec. 6th). I really, really hope that Mike Clink is involved, this band needs him as both Dave Cobb and Elvis didn't do the job good on SMKC3 and SMKC4.

• Like 4

I mean no disrespect to all those involved, but I just can't get into their stuff. 

I like GN'R (of course), VR, and some of Slash's solo stuff (about half of the 2010 album, and some other tracks from later works) but I was never down with Slash's Snakepit or SMKC, save for a song or two.

I only like a few songs (period) that Myles sings on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like SMKC. Looking forward to see what they do next.

Yeah, me too. Listening to what they’ll come up with and judging after that is what I’m gonna do. I enjoyed at least some of their stuff on each release so far and I can’t see why this time it should be different.

• Like 3

Wasn't too impressed by the last few records but the concert I went to earlier this year was killer as hell, so if this means more touring, preferably in my hometown again, then I am all up for it.

It's not like this blocks GNR from being the most productive band in the world anyway.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

Wasn't too impressed by the last few records but the concert I went to earlier this year was killer as hell, so if this means more touring, preferably in my hometown again, then I am all up for it.

It's not like this blocks GNR from being the most productive band in the world anyway.

That’s it. It’s not like we would have more GNR music by now. Everything Slash (and Duff) does is building his solo work around GNR’s schedule. Not the other way around.

15 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like SMKC. Looking forward to see what they do next.

I like the SMKC  stuff too, but I can't say I've enjoyed the songs after WOF. 

Great that Slash is releasing music, but I wish he'd put a bit more time into making 8-10 great songs instead of rish8ng through on mediocre. It seems obvious, but not every idea is a great idea, whether you're the boss or not. Still a great live band even though the last tour was a bit shit, for me at least.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in seeing them live, if there's a package or opportunity that would allow me to meet Slash, chat pinball for a minute or two and have him autograph the little top hat from my game (I can remove it from the pinball machine to get it signed, then reinstall it) :) 

• Like 1

Unlike many others here I think they managed to make each record sound differently than the record before. Aside from the lead singles on LTD, which indeed sound a little bit like leftovers from WOF, every record has his own style imo. 

Agreeing with @MaskingApathy. Exciting what this journey will sound like.

I personally hope Slash incorporates some influence from his last project.

• Like 3

I hope that the fact that SMKC busted out 3 rarely played GN’R songs (Don’t Damn Me, Bad Apples and Perfect Crime), that this influence seeps into the songwriting sessions for the upcoming album. 

I think Slash has gotten his fill of the blues, and he’s ready to go back to heavy rock again. 

I also really liked SMKC4, despite the poor mix, so I’m curious where they go from here.

Here's hoping he keeps Mike Clink on board to produce. 

• Like 4

Con 5 is by far the most exciting future release for me. Slash got I think something like 10 compositions left from writing sessions from 4. I wonder if this is going to be a long album and what the ratio would be between the "leftovers" from 4 and the brand new tunes.

every album always contains great ideas imho and tunes I come back to.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2024 at 5:34 PM, Sweersa said:

I mean no disrespect to all those involved, but I just can't get into their stuff. 

I like GN'R (of course), VR, and some of Slash's solo stuff (about half of the 2010 album, and some other tracks from later works) but I was never down with Slash's Snakepit or SMKC, save for a song or two.

I only like a few songs (period) that Myles sings on. 

The music is great but Myles’ voice ruins it for me. It just gives the songs a bad 80’s hair band quality that I can’t get past

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Con 5 is by far the most exciting future release for me. Slash got I think something like 10 compositions left from writing sessions from 4. I wonder if this is going to be a long album and what the ratio would be between the "leftovers" from 4 and the brand new tunes.

every album always contains great ideas imho and tunes I come back to.

Iirc they’ve written LTD quite some time before they headed into the studio and Slash felt he had to write some new songs for it and drop some older ones.

I think he won’t use leftovers unless there’s something that still inspires him.

5 hours ago, LunsJail said:

The music is great but Myles’ voice ruins it for me. It just gives the songs a bad 80’s hair band quality that I can’t get past

For me, it's not Myles voice that sounds like an '80s hair cliche, but his lyrics. The WOF title track for example:

"Don't fight it
Ignite it
This much I'm sure

I think it's time to set this world on fire
I think it's time to push it to the edge
Burn it to the ground and trip the wire
It may never be this good again"

Or from One Last Thrill, the line "I'm reckless and on fire" always struck me as a caricature of '80s lyrics. The rest of that song has decent lyrics though.

And it doesn't help that he feels the need to be in a high register all the time because that's what he thinks '80s style rock has to be. His voice just doesn't sound good in the high register IMO. That's why he sounded good on Back From Cali, he was in his more natural register.

Now that he's singing live shows in a lower register to save his voice, maybe he'll take it down a notch in the studio, too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I hear you there. I do like Ides Of March and one other song on that solo album of his but everything else, including the songs on Slash’s 2010 solo album with Myles, I can’t get down with. He makes Sebastian Bach sound like Axl 😂  

• Like 1

On 10/13/2024 at 12:39 PM, Sweersa said:

I hear you there. I do like Ides Of March and one other song on that solo album of his but everything else, including the songs on Slash’s 2010 solo album with Myles, I can’t get down with. He makes Sebastian Bach sound like Axl 😂  

I’d be keen on a new vocalist personally. I would also be happy to see VR reform and find a new vocalist. I think Slash has got the most out of SMKC and it has plateaued and become stale

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I’d be keen on a new vocalist personally. I would also be happy to see VR reform and find a new vocalist. I think Slash has got the most out of SMKC and it has plateaued and become stale

I wouldn’t mind a new VR either, maybe with Scott’s son on vocals? One potential issue with a VR reform is Axl may not be too keen on Slash doing that. 

10 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wouldn’t mind a new VR either, maybe with Scott’s son on vocals? One potential issue with a VR reform is Axl may not be too keen on Slash doing that. 

The big elephant in the room would be Matt Sorum. I don't think that Axl would have any issues without his involvment.

15 hours ago, Sosso said:

The big elephant in the room would be Matt Sorum. I don't think that Axl would have any issues without his involvment.

Axl shouldn't have a say, but it could create tension between Slash & Duff and Axl. VR came out of an era where relations between Axl and Slash were bad, so a reforming of VR could dig up old wounds. 

At the very least, it would be nice if they opened the VR vault with a special release.