RIP Paul Di'Anno (original Iron Maiden singer)

username

I have loads of opinions of Paul as a human which I don't want to delve into currently. I'd rather focus on his music, and the contributions he made to my favorite band. While I prefer the route Maiden started to go once Bruce came into the fold, Paul was such an integral part of the band in their formative years. He had a "no fucks given" attitude, an intensity, and a sheer snarl that lent itself so well to Maiden's sound on the first two albums - he made a lot of those song believable. Maiden with Paul and Clive was a very different beast than Maiden with Bruce and Nicko, and the two of them really shaped those first two albums. Paul sang on what I still consider Maiden's finest moment - Phantom Of The Opera - and that will likely always be the case. It's unfortunate the numerous health concerns he had in later years, and while I'm not glad he's gone I'm glad he's no longer suffering. 

Rest easy, Paul :( 

• Like 2

Paul was such an unique frontman. The guy felt like a punk rocker in a metal band. His two albums are A+ material. That first Maiden album is a top 3 Maiden record for me. Phantom Of The Opera is also probably a top 3 maiden song for me, too. Wish I got to see him live in that last tour, at least. Oh well, at least his music will live on for a long, long time. RIP, Paul!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RIP

Those first two Maiden albums are all time classics. Especially Killers, they really developed their craft on that one. It's a shame Paul never found another band that could musically match Maiden because he proved he could sing with the best of them.

I also think he doesn't get enough credit for his range. He seems to get pigeonholed as a punk singer, but he sang beautifully on the softer songs, too. Strange World and Remember Tomorrow are criminally underrated. Prodigal Son is often overlooked.

Even in the middle of a rocker like Charlotte the Harlot, he manages to pull of a really touching, heartfelt bridge that I consider one of his greatest moments in Maiden.

"Well, Charlotte, you told me you'd love me true
Picking up pieces of love, yesterday"

Edited by evilfacelessturtle
  • Thanks 1