Punk V Metal

kevdo242

What genre is better?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Punk is about evolving music and is a way of life, metal is simply a genre

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so say 6 people so far...

but metal's a lifestyle too.

You walk down the street and you see another dude or chick with long hair and chains, spikes and a Slayer shirt and you look at each other, you don't even need to say anything, you know...

you know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You walk down the street and you see another dude or chick with long hair and chains, spikes and a Slayer shirt and you look at each other, you don't even need to say anything, you know...

you know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly the bastard same for 'punk' though isnt it?

you see a man walking down the street with a purple mohawk, tartan trousers and a ramones t shirt? you dont think 'yea he likes his r&b pop' or anything.

cant be arsed getting into the whole 'lifestyle' argument like, music is music, enjoy it how you want, if you wanna change the way you live because some ming in a band said so, fair enough.

to answer the question anyway - neither. more into hardcore, which is an offshoot of punk i suppose.

cant be arsed getting into the whole 'lifestyle' argument like, music is music, enjoy it how you want, if you wanna change the way you live because some ming in a band said so, fair enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that, there's good and bad of every genre.

I like it as long as the playing's amazing and it sounds like they mean it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but punk rock could be seen as simply an interesting innovation in music or fighting for freedom, its not merely chuging away at three power chords as many people think.

there is a difference between a dress code and lifestyle...BIG difference, punk = lifestyle, metal = dress code...people seem to be trippin' up on this...explain a metal lifestyle/mentality that goes somewhere beyond "rockin' out".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes but thats the beauty of Metal, anyone can listern to it and not be a metalhead. As you claim Punk is a lifestyle and therefore only real punks who live the lifestyle can listern to punk music. Metal is to be enjoyed and loved by everyone and anyone, they dont have to confine themselves to a specific lifestyle. Saying what your saying, Punk excludes everyone who doesnt follow that peticular lifestyle, Metal on the otherhand is much more inclusive not exclusive like Punk.

Edited by johnezz

In The Beginning There Was Silence And Darkness

All Across The Earth

Then Came The Wind And A Hole In The Sky

Thunder And Lightning Came Crashing Down

Hit The Earth And Split The Ground

Fire Burned High In The Sky

>From Down Below Fire Melted The Stone

The Ground Shook And Started To Pound

The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good

They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell

We Promised That We Would

When Losers Say It's Over With You Know That It's A Lie

The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die

We Are The True Believers

It's Our Turn To Show The World

In The Fire Of Heavy Metal We Were Burned

It's More Than Our Religion It's The Only Way To Live

But The Enemies Of Metal We Can't Forgive

such a cool song

rock3

there is a difference between a dress code and lifestyle...BIG difference, punk = lifestyle, metal = dress code...people seem to be trippin' up on this...explain a metal lifestyle/mentality that goes somewhere beyond "rockin' out".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes but thats the beauty of Metal, anyone can listern to it and not be a metalhead. As you claim Punk is a lifestyle and therefore only real punks who live the lifestyle can listern to punk music. Metal is to be enjoyed and loved by everyone and anyone, they dont have to confine themselves to a specific lifestyle. Saying what your saying, Punk excludes everyone who doesnt follow that peticular lifestyle, Metal on the otherhand is much more inclusive not exclusive like Punk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but punk is a lifestyle predicated on personal freedom, which is an extremely large criteria. in fact, it's pretty much infinite relative to usual guidelines...the only guideline is that there are no guidelines, honesty and passion are the guidelines, which is a matter of interpretation...befitting a punk lifestyle u could be an Ace of Base fan...if u deemed that they fit that honesty and passion criteria.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but punk is a lifestyle predicated on personal freedom, which is an extremely large criteria. in fact, it's pretty much infinite relative to usual guidelines...the only guideline is that there are no guidelines, honesty and passion are the guidelines, which is a matter of interpretation...befitting a punk lifestyle u could be an Ace of Base fan...if u deemed that they fit that honesty and passion criteria.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So your saying that any music that is Honest and Passionate is punk? Sorry but i can't agree there. Punk in a musical sence has always come across to me as fake and as golddiggers. Where as Blues artists such as BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan are extremely passionate musicains and honest men. They are defantly not Punk, they are bluesmen. I my self think for myself, have free ideas, im non comfortist, does that make me punk? no certainly not.

So your saying that any music that is Honest and Passionate is punk? Sorry but i can't agree there. Punk in a musical sence has always come across to me as fake and as golddiggers. Where as Blues artists such as BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan are extremely passionate musicains and honest men. They are defantly not Punk, they are bluesmen. I my self think for myself, have free ideas, im non comfortist, does that make me punk? no certainly not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not is punk, but can be called punk...can be aligned to a punk mentality...see, its been around since forever...it just took a while to give it a name...its really, um, it works outside of music genre, its more like an attitude relating to how you approach art. to quote Don Letts/Glen Matlock:

"the sex pistols didn't start punk, its been around forever, iggy had it, MC5 had it, the kinks had it, the doors had it, dali had it, right the way back to Mozart"

now thats not to say they spiked their hair and played 3 fast chords with a barked chorus...it means they had a free spirited renegade mentality towards their art. it really has so extremely little to do with music relative to its infinite connotations. its a way of thinking, its not to say ur a punk. i mean, hippies had it to begin with, when the whole thing was serious and it was protest music, until it became the shambles it ended up as complete with manson family stereotypes. reggae had it, the experimental dub music mentality. its more something relating to passion and freedom, it doesn't make u a punk because u r what u choose to be but if u r those things then it's easy to plonk that label on urself, personally i think its um...kinda contradictory to the whole philosophy to have labels but all it really amounts to is just a convininent definition. and i think you'll find if u look further back in the history of blues, theres a lot more honesty than that coming from stevie ray vaughn i.e. leadbelly, big bill broonzy, charley patton etc.

punk music as a genre, when defined is basically exactly the same as rock n roll.....and all that means is the label givers misunderstood the intentions of the people who made the "movement". rock n roll was just a good launch pad...its a music thing, period.

Edited by rocketsredglare