a question about the "mixing stage" of making ChiDem

3rd Wheel

if mixing pertains to each individual song then when axl said 26 of 32 are nearly done he could just need to mix....or w/e

especialy since tommy said tht the music part of the album has been finished for 4 years....

oh bother im getting worked up for nothing

Yes, mixing needs to be done on all songs.

Mixing determines how the different tracks are layered and at what volumes e.g. the guitars are usually at the forefront during the intro but then drop to the background during the verses while the vocals come in. It has a major effect on the sound and if you have a good person mixing (like Brendan O'Brien) they should be able to mix the tracks to make the song function well without sacrificing anyone's sound.

Contraband was poorly mixed IMO. Alot of Slash's background playing was not acknowledged well. Put on Live Era and you can hear almost everything Slash does (as well as Gilby/Izzy).

There's alot more to it than I've mentioned but you get the jist of things.

i do like the raw sound to some appetite songs. like out ta get me sounds great how it is. rocket queen...mixed to be very boring imo. great song, amazing live (live era rocket queen = one of my favorite gnr tracks) but something about the appetite version doesnt make me too happy :fuckyou: .

songs like wttj and my michelle sounded great too though. im undecided on mr brownstone, it sounds very good and very poor at the same time, but once again one of my favorite gnr tracks.

The mixing back in the AFD day was done on analog equipment too right. I would expect that today the same amount of effort into mixing and cleaning up the songs will give a much fuller sound. Unless they purposely want that muddy analog sound, which some bands do.

LISTEN UP

well it took our producer 5 hours to mix 5 songs, most which were done automatically using computers etc, but then we still found bits wrong so they had to be corrected

Basically it needs to be done each song, and usually gets mixed millions of times before the final version is perfect

you jsut take away one mix, listen to it, find something wrong ,bring it back, correct it then do the process again till your happy

which might take forever if your axl!

Contraband was poorly mixed IMO.

Very true. To be completely honest, so was AFD. Axl's voice was too down, and the overall sound is pretty monotonic, It's all mixed so much to the center. That is one reason why I would like to hear a re-recorded Appetite.

not true at all.

theres a hard pan between slash and izzys rhythm guitars, the toms are panned, the hat is panned, and there's ghost axl vocals coming in all over the place.

it's actually far less 'monotonic', far less compressed, and better sounding than most new records. Don't confuse mastering volume with sound quality. Too many people spend too much time listening to highly compresses mp3's these days

Even in the age of computer based digital recording, the vast majority of big name rock albums are still tracked to, and mixed/mastered on the exact same analog gear used for appetite.

The biggest difference these days in the step in the middle when they dump it to a DAW, and digitally edit all their performances, so the bands with no talent can sound like they can actually play.

Edited by angry anderson

LISTEN UP

well it took our producer 5 hours to mix 5 songs, most which were done automatically using computers etc, but then we still found bits wrong so they had to be corrected

Basically it needs to be done each song, and usually gets mixed millions of times before the final version is perfect

you jsut take away one mix, listen to it, find something wrong ,bring it back, correct it then do the process again till your happy

which might take forever if your axl!

I don't think that Axl use automatic settings though.

About mixing each song of it's own: usually you have a generic base for the whole production (the same levels/pan and stuff on the drums, the levels of the instrument versus the song etc. All to make the production to have the same "sound"). Then you fine tune and clean up each song on it's own.

...and after the mixing is done it shall be mastered. But that tends to be a pretty quick procces. During this stage you mainly compress the music and make it sounds more the same regardless of which stereo it's played on. Because unmastered tunes can sound fantastic in the studio with it's über loudspeakers and monster amps. Then you listen to it in your little stereo at home and it sounds so small and flat and pathetic.

Let me be more specfic Howard Hughes was OCD which i belive Axl suffers from the same crippling disease that Mr.Hughes had.

You cant BE OCD. You can have it, but not be it. Petty I know... :P

You seriously think Axl has obbsessive compulsive disorder? :rolleyes: Maybe hes been cleanin for the last few years.... thats why CD isnt out! <_<

Grimo.

i do like the raw sound to some appetite songs. like out ta get me sounds great how it is. rocket queen...mixed to be very boring imo. great song, amazing live (live era rocket queen = one of my favorite gnr tracks) but something about the appetite version doesnt make me too happy :fuckyou: .

songs like wttj and my michelle sounded great too though. im undecided on mr brownstone, it sounds very good and very poor at the same time, but once again one of my favorite gnr tracks.

yeh i no the AFD rocket queen dosnt sound rite it is so much better live on the live era it rocks and i like get in the ring btw on get in the ring is there that song that snt done live cos on uyi it is live jut wundrin

rock on rock3

yeh i no the AFD rocket queen dosnt sound rite it is so much better live on the live era it rocks and i like get in the ring btw on get in the ring is there that song that snt done live cos on uyi it is live jut wundrin

rock on rock3

I have no clue what the fuck you just said... :drevil:

Ok, I'll stand up for Rocket Queen on AFD, and I'll tell you why. It really doesn't matter how well it's mixed if you actually listen to the music. Whether it's "hard to hear" a particular sound in a song or not, it's still there, and it either rocks or it sucks. The implication that Rocket Queen on AFD is boring because it's not mixed right sounds silly to me. The AFD version of Rocket Queen is one of the best songs on the album.

rock on rock3

haha me too man lol.....i think he means the part in get in the ring where at the begining they added audience overdubb cahnting GUNS N" ROSES. but then i dont know what hes asking haha

rock on rock3

haha me too man lol.....i think he means the part in get in the ring where at the begining they added audience overdubb cahnting GUNS N" ROSES. but then i dont know what hes asking haha

i think "he" is actually infact, a "she"

but that means fuck all because they still cant type!

and dont give me any of that "dont mind my typing, im russian" or "please dont diss my spelling, im asian" or even "dont hate on my typing, im american" :drevil: