"As for a reunion with his former Gn'R mates, that seems unlikely."

neatd99

Axl: "I haven't spoken to Slash in 10 years."

You guys: OMG OMG Reunion!!! Sooner rather than later! I can sense it!

What is wrong with you people? Are you really that out there?

I love you all, but this reunion talk has got to stop. It's just ridiculous. Axl obviously wants to experiment with different styles of music. He wants to do something new and creative. Slash and Duff are obviously just interested in playing their old brand of generic bluesy/traditional hard rock inspired by Aerosmith, Van Halen, ect.

At this point, Axl wouldn't mix well musically with the former gunners. It's like combining Cher and Tommy Lee together. It wont work out and nothing will come out of it. It doesn't make any sense. The only thing it would do is make concert attendance go up. It would not improve the future music. As far as I'm concerned, Axl has reached a creative wall with the old band members. They can't work together on anything new, the collective creativity is over.

We should be more interested in what Axl and his new band have to offer us. Those guys might have elements that weren't present in the old GNR. We should be optimistic for what will be on CD.

That is all, flame me if you wish, but I'm right about this. There will be no reunion and there shouldn't be a reunion.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love you all, but this reunion talk has got to stop. It's just ridiculous. Axl obviously wants to experiment with different styles of music. He wants to do something new and creative. Slash and Duff are obviously just interested in playing their old brand of generic bluesy/traditional hard rock inspired by Aerosmith, Van Halen, ect.

At this point, Axl wouldn't mix well musically with the former gunners. It's like combining Cher and Tommy Lee together. It wont work out and nothing will come out of it. It doesn't make any sense. The only thing it would do is make concert attendance go up. It would not improve the future music. As far as I'm concerned, Axl has reached a creative wall with the old band members. They can't work together on anything new, the collective creativity is over.

We should be more interested in what Axl and his new band have to offer us. Those guys might have elements that weren't present in the old GNR. We should be optimistic for what will be on CD.

That is all, flame me if you wish, but I'm right about this. There will be no reunion and there shouldn't be a reunion.

well said

I am but that doesn't mean there might not be a reunion in the future , all things a possible :)

but I am not to fussed over a reunion at the moment in all honesty, I like the new band as it is and can't wait til the album is released. :) both of them.

Edited by Axl-rocks

Guest JohnUlmer

I would wager that eventually, sometime far in the future when they are perhaps in their mid-to-late '60s, they will perform at some kind of event together again - at least those of them that haven't died by that point. But I think there's no way we'll ever see the old bandmembers return for new albums, and to be honest, I don't think I'd even want that - part of the legacy of GN'R is that they peaked early and it all fell apart...if they re-joined our expectations would be so high, nothing would please us. Of course, this is going to happen with some people and CD, too.

I would wager that eventually, sometime far in the future when they are perhaps in their mid-to-late '60s, they will perform at some kind of event together again - at least those of them that haven't died by that point. But I think there's no way we'll ever see the old bandmembers return for new albums, and to be honest, I don't think I'd even want that - part of the legacy of GN'R is that they peaked early and it all fell apart...if they re-joined our expectations would be so high, nothing would please us. Of course, this is going to happen with some people and CD, too.

I agree

Well said. Theres always room for just a little optimism though ;)

Grimo.

Axl obviously wants to experiment with different styles of music. He wants to do something new and creative. Slash and Duff are obviously just interested in playing their old brand of generic bluesy/traditional hard rock

Nice subtle dig at Slash & Duff there.

If Axl is making "new and creative" music, he certainly didn't play any of it during the last tour. The Blues sounds like it could easily be from one of the illusion albums. Chinese Democracy is a straightforward 90's rocker. Madagascar is just a very, very simple tune.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of those songs and hope they're on the album, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking they're anything groundbreaking.

Amen.

After such a long wait, I'd personally rather have CD than a reunion right now. Inevitably, I'd like to see a reunion, and I think the fact that Axl and Slash are being a bit more complimentary towards each other makes it seem a little more likely to happen in the future. Right now though, they're all comfortable and talented doing things their own way.

Amen.

After such a long wait, I'd personally rather have CD than a reunion right now. Inevitably, I'd like to see a reunion, and I think the fact that Axl and Slash are being a bit more complimentary towards each other makes it seem a little more likely to happen in the future. Right now though, they're all comfortable and talented doing things their own way.

True. Theres a time and a place for a reunion and we're nowhere near either.

Grimo.

Yes, well the problem is that at the moment, there is no new band, there is no new music. We hear about these things, but at the present time it is non existent. The old band was a tangible thing. They gave us albums, songs that are played on the radio, interviews, years of touring, hundreds of photos, posters, videos, etc. We have almost none of that from this nu band. And in fact the band that appeared in '02 is not even the same band today.

It's only normal that many people would hope for a reunion. The old band actually gave us something. Music that was so good that almost 2 decades later people are still enjoying it. They touched our souls like no other band could, including this nu one.

If this is from a GN'R fan, I'm Joseph Ratzinger. :fuckyou:

Axl obviously wants to experiment with different styles of music. He wants to do something new and creative. Slash and Duff are obviously just interested in playing their old brand of generic bluesy/traditional hard rock

If Axl is making "new and creative" music, he certainly didn't play any of it during the last tour. The Blues sounds like it could easily be from one of the illusion albums. Chinese Democracy is a straightforward 90's rocker. Madagascar is just a very, very simple tune.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of those songs and hope they're on the album, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking they're anything groundbreaking.

Axl wants to make new and creative music (new and creative when compared to the previous GNR albums). He has said in the past that he does not want to remake Appetite and that he wants to evolve GNR's musical identity.

Axl wants to make new and creative music (new and creative when compared to the previous GNR albums). He has said in the past that he does not want to remake Appetite and that he wants to evolve GNR's musical identity.

Clearly, you did not read what Dead Flower actually wrote..

I'm sure it contends your opinion of Axl's 'vision'..

Read her post again,..

Dead Flower said that the new material Axl released during the 2002 tour was in no way creatively diverse than any other Guns N' Roses effort.

Hence..

The Blues sounds like it could easily be from one of the illusion albums.

So, I ask..

How is Axl evolving Guns N' Roses musical identity by recording songs that are strikingly similar to the recordings of the Use Your Illusion discs?

You guys definitely have a hard time proving that one..

-Kickingthehabit

I agree with the very first post, Guns n roses has come into a new incarnation and no matter what, it's still guns and i'm not prepared to let it go no matter whatt direction axl takes it in,

Unless it's rap yeeeeeeeeeeeuuuucccchhhh :anger::anger::angry::angry::angry:

Because remaking Appetite would be a very bad thing......even though that's what put this band on the map and on top, setting them apart from most bands at the time. Also funny since on the last tour, more than half of the songs played (average 10 out of a 17 set) were off of AFD.

As far as evolving, trying to sound like a band from the 1970's is not something new and creative. Emulating a style of music from 30 years ago is not what I would consider an evolution in music.

Clearly, you did not read what Dead Flower actually wrote..

-Kickingthehabit

I read every post in this topic. Clearly, your assumption is wrong.

I believe Axl wants to do something different with GNR. He doesn't want to remake AFD. The Blues sounds similar to what was on UYI. I never said it didn't. I didn't claim that in my original post or my reply. How you can "clearly" tell that I did not read what Dead Flower wrote is beyond me.

To clarify, "The Blues" sounding similar to a UYI song does not mean that Axl does not want to write new and creative music for GNR. Additionally, Axl has said that the old band members were musically incompatible with him. He wanted to try something new while they wanted to do the same old thing.

I cannot answer your question, I'm not Axl Rose. If Axl wanted to continue creating songs similar to what is found on UYI, I doubt the band (at the time, let's define this as Slash, Duff, and Matt) would have broken up.

Oh my god, i can't deny this... :rofl-lol:

Seriously now, we will never know because Axl said he wants to work on a AFD-like album and Slash wasn't into it and tried to push the material that was used for the first Snakepit' album. Slash/Duff said that Axl wanted to work on industrial stuff. It's clear that CD won't be a album filled with only 'oh my god' like songs, and all the minds involved changed (at least a bit).

If you don't know, VR is working on a "concept album" (what a funny buzzsentence) as Scott said, he even cited Pink Floyd, while Axl used Queen to describe some arrangements in CD. Whatever influence they have, if both bands came up with new songs based on Queen, Pink Floyd and Zeppellin work we will hear at least some good tunes. I like Nirvana, Radiohead and others but it's time to a new influential shift in rock, IMHO. I'm sure that many bands will appear, public will love and hate and i hope to see VR and new GNR being cited as references. Crazy? Yeah, only time will tell.

How is Axl evolving Guns N' Roses musical identity...

By putting funny computer noises on songs like You Could Be Mine. :rolleyes:

Promoting Dizzy Reed as the GNR official bongo player ? :rofl-lol:

Alright im a newbie so be gentle. If my sources where correct Axl recently commented of the respect he still has for his former bandmates even Slash, and he seems to be urging inside for a possible reunion. I know its unlikely to happen but does anybody think they could put there past behind them and do something for the fans and rock. Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour could do it why cant they? ? ? ?

Alright im a newbie so be gentle. If my sources where correct Axl recently commented of the respect he still has for his former bandmates even Slash, and he seems to be urging inside for a possible reunion. I know its unlikely to happen but does anybody think they could put there past behind them and do something for the fans and rock. Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour could do it why cant they? ? ? ?

the thing about floyd is though, their music isn't young or aggressive. the old GN'R was 5 rebels who totally reinvented music. it's possible, but i wouldn't really want it. it'd be so fake and forced if you ask me.