Your thoughts about the warmup gigs in NYC?

wasted

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Axl taking the stage in 10 days, and appearances reported in NYC a lot lately, I think it's safe to surmise that rehersals maybe taking place in New York City. I can't see him hopping back and forth between the coasts for rehersals. Although part of me worries that Axl isn't rehersing at all, and while the band is working hard on getting the material right, Axl is off doing his own thing. It's how Axl has always been and I wonder if this time he will change and take this thing more seriously.

With Axl taking the stage in 10 days, and appearances reported in NYC a lot lately, I think it's safe to surmise that rehersals maybe taking place in New York City. I can't see him hopping back and forth between the coasts for rehersals. Although part of me worries that Axl isn't rehersing at all, and while the band is working hard on getting the material right, Axl is off doing his own thing. It's how Axl has always been and I wonder if this time he will change and take this thing more seriously.

I share the same fear.

That the band is getting their shit together and Axl is figuring on just winging it like he almost always has.

I thought the bane minus Axl were rehearsing in LA?

The band is rehersing in Burbank, CA. Without Axl.

Apparently, Tommy is the "music director" of the band and leads rehersals. Axl, as has pretty much always been the case, doesn't reherse with the band. He doesn't do, for the most part, soundchecks, either. That's just the way Axl is...

Axl is the singer, why does he need to reherse with the band?? He can work on his vocals on his own.

Maybe because he's the only one that has been in the band from the beginning?

Or maybe because he's the dictator of the band?

Or maybe because they need him to be a cohesive unit?

Or maybe because they are butchering the songs and don't even know it?

Or maybe because he failed on the last tour?

Or maybe because that's what a "band" is supposed to do? Solo artists (on the other hand) can just show up and play with the hired studio musicians. Interesting what we can find out about this "band" without even seeing them. Nothing has changed from 2002.

Axl is the singer, why does he need to reherse with the band?? He can work on his vocals on his own.

True, it also opens up the band's opportunity for leadership and not be forced fed whatever Axl tells them.

Edited by GNRrocks3

Or maybe because that's what a "band" is supposed to do? Solo artists (on the other hand) can just show up and play with the hired studio musicians. Interesting what we can find out about this "band" without even seeing them. Nothing has changed from 2002.

Nothing has changed from 1992, either. It was his MO prior to, and during, the illusion tour.

As for your concern that the band is "butchering" the songs, I'm assuming that they ARE in communication with Axl (who, I'm sure, can hear the recordings of the bands rehersals, if he so desires). In additon, I'm sure they have tracks to play to, or match up with, as well. With Tommy leading rehersals, I'm pretty confident the band is in good hands.

I dont mind Axl not rehearsin with the band so long as hes doin his own vocal work and not just sittin on his arse, otherwise he'll sound terrible and wont be able to handle to songs.

If hes just in NY to sort out the final stages of CD then cool. Coz im guessin the band will be in NY soon, and when they turn up they can rehearse together! Simple :)

Grimo.

Why does he need to rehearse?

Um...so he doesn't sound like shit warmed over, maybe??

I am not encouraged by this. Axl's voice is going to be maybe the biggest thing people are going to base the future of this band on. If its the same weak ass shit it was in 2002, this band is sunk.

I am not encouraged by this. Axl's voice is going to be maybe the biggest thing people are going to base the future of this band on. If its the same weak ass shit it was in 2002, this band is sunk.

Nobody said he's not rehersing. He may be.He's not rehersing WITH THE BAND.

There's a big difference.

Nobody knows for sure, of course. He did reherse in '92...worked with a vocal coach..the whole shooting match..but didn't reherse with the band. Not sure about '02...but could've been the same...and could be the same now.

Nothing has changed from 1992, either. It was his MO prior to, and during, the illusion tour.

As for your concern that the band is "butchering" the songs, I'm assuming that they ARE in communication with Axl (who, I'm sure, can hear the recordings of the bands rehersals, if he so desires). In additon, I'm sure they have tracks to play to, or match up with, as well. With Tommy leading rehersals, I'm pretty confident the band is in good hands.

In 1992, they had a unit, a foundation that had been together (with the exception of Gilby) through the entire recording process of an album. The only 2 members that were "new" at that point were (IMHO) the 2 least important parts of performing live - the drummer (as long as he can keep basic time) and the rhythm guitarist. The rest had been together for 6 years and had participated in writing those songs.

This "band" has been together off and on for 6 years (at best) and didn't write any of the music 99% of the people know. If they fuck up on IRS, nobody will know the difference, but if they fuck up NR again, EVERYONE will know it, and it will not be tolerated.

I don't think I'm concerned that they will butcher the music, I was just pointing out obvious reasons that the singer, the only founding member of the group, should be at rehersals.

he needs to practice with the band, band chemistry is really important.

Yes, band chemistry is important.

But why people think it has anything to do with rehersing is a bit confusing to me.

Rehersing is for getting the music down pat, getting a general set list together, and for making sure everyone knows what they're doing out there.

Chemistry either is there or it isn't.

There's something to be said for spontaneous interactions on stage, too....

In 1992, they had a unit, a foundation that had been together (with the exception of Gilby) through the entire recording process of an album. The only 2 members that were "new" at that point were (IMHO) the 2 least important parts of performing live - the drummer (as long as he can keep basic time) and the rhythm guitarist. The rest had been together for 6 years and had participated in writing those songs.

This "band" has been together off and on for 6 years (at best) and didn't write any of the music 99% of the people know. If they fuck up on IRS, nobody will know the difference, but if they fuck up NR again, EVERYONE will know it, and it will not be tolerated.

I don't think I'm concerned that they will butcher the music, I was just pointing out obvious reasons that the singer, the only founding member of the group, should be at rehersals.

First off, I'm just pointing out that this is Axl's MO. It's not just his MO with the new band, but his MO since, at least, the UYI tour. And we all know Axl's not likely to change.

On having a "unit", as far as we know, we have the same thing now: a unit that has been, largely, together through the entire recording process of an album (CD) with the possible exception of the 3rd (if there is one) guitarist. And they, too, have, by all accounts, participated in the writing and creation of much of the music for CD.

Yes, the old band had been together, playing the AFD stuff, for 6 years. Now, THIS band has been playing the old material (both AFD and UYI), possibly off and on, since 2001. 5 Years. At this point, I can't imagine Axl's going to sit there and correct each and every note they play...and I trust they are familiar enough (given they have tracks to play to and listen to) with the material not to need him to.

I just can't see any reason Axl needs to be physically present at the rehersals. I'm sure Tommy and the crew are keeping him appraised of what's going down, probably daily, maybe more frequently than that, sometimes.

i hate to agree but i have to.

he needs to be vocally superior to the last tour, it was a bit of a mess sometimes.

Anyway, i think that on the new songs hell cope fine, its the older stuff that he cant pull off as well as he used to. Not all of them but some of the more demanding songs, wttj for example.

Be interesting watever!!!!!!!

i did listen to a recording ycbm from vegas 2001, he sounded wicked on that, some shades of old axls gritty voice, sure hel pull it off this time round! he nos wats at stake!

First off, I'm just pointing out that this is Axl's MO. It's not just his MO with the new band, but his MO since, at least, the UYI tour. And we all know Axl's not likely to change.

On having a "unit", as far as we know, we have the same thing now: a unit that has been, largely, together through the entire recording process of an album (CD) with the possible exception of the 3rd (if there is one) guitarist. And they, too, have, by all accounts, participated in the writing and creation of much of the music for CD.

Yes, the old band had been together, playing the AFD stuff, for 6 years. Now, THIS band has been playing the old material (both AFD and UYI), possibly off and on, since 2001. 5 Years. At this point, I can't imagine Axl's going to sit there and correct each and every note they play...and I trust they are familiar enough (given they have tracks to play to and listen to) with the material not to need him to.

I just can't see any reason Axl needs to be physically present at the rehersals. I'm sure Tommy and the crew are keeping him appraised of what's going down, probably daily, maybe more frequently than that, sometimes.

How many times has the lineup changed over the years? How many performances have they done together? You can't possibly compare the cohesiveness of studio musicians with a couple concerts under their belt to quality that was GnR (the 86 - 94 version). Those guys played hundreds of shows together, wrote more music together than they could have possibly released, and had a chemestry on stage that the NuGnR can't touch. You're comparing apples to, well, rotten apples (or maybe baby apples to be nicer).

Axl doing his own thing tells me a lot about how cohesive he feels with these new guys...like I said, nothing has changed.