i want to discuss this video

quadlaser

You know I want to take back what I said about Velvet Revolver. I'm very pro Nu-GNR but I do love Velvet Revolver aswell. I saw them last June and they were simply awesome! I just feel that Robin Finck is getting slammed not because of the ability he has but because he replaced a lot of people's favourite... Slash.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just feel that Robin Finck is getting slammed not because of the ability he has but because he replaced a lot of people's favourite... Slash.

No, it's definitely because of his inability.

I don't see many people, if any, bash Ron or Fortus for their guitar playing. In fact most people who dislike Finck say they would rather have Richard play lead. I know I would. It has nothing to do with Slash.

I don´t know.. I din´t either liked Robin first when I heard some bootlegs from the 2001-2002 tour.

But the man have growned on me. I think he´s pretty good now, and that I.R.S solo kick ass, or some parts of it does.. Especially the first half of it and the end when he hold those tunes. He´s an emotional player and that makes him a great compliment to the band. We have BbF with technical skills but less emotion, which Robin has. And we have my favourite Richard that has both of those skills.

I would describe them:

Bumble:

Technical skills: 9/10

Emotion: 5/10

Robin

Technical skills: 4/10

Emotions: 7/10

Richard

Technical skills: 7/10

Emotion: 7/10

Just so people know, trying to make Slash look bad doesn't make Finck look good. Point out Finck's good points, then maybe people will start to agree.....

Nevermind that, bringing up Slash at all doesn't help Finck. So maybe avoiding that would work out more in favor or Robin.

You are Crazy! Robins Playing is pretty Awesome! It's ok if you don't like his style you are just dated. I'm always amused by all the 80's metal lovers that cant let go of the past.

I guess being modern and not dated means playing out of tune.

I guess...

then slash was modern the entire use your illusion world tour...

except for most of it.

except for the good songs

You are Crazy! Robins Playing is pretty Awesome! It's ok if you don't like his style you are just dated. I'm always amused by all the 80's metal lovers that cant let go of the past.

I guess being modern and not dated means playing out of tune.

I guess...

then slash was modern the entire use your illusion world tour...

except for most of it.

except for the good songs

but not most of them.

What the fuck is wrong with you people? That solo from Ron sucked dicked. What a load of fucking wankery. I actually prefer Robin's solo.

why didn't axl just get fucking yngwie malmsteen to join the band? fuck.

Glass, you are a complete arsehole......I don't think in all my time on this forum i've read one decent post from you.

don't take glass too seriously, he has awful taste. i mean, just look at that avatar.

I love the start to the song:

"I don't know about the other guys, but Richard hasn't been able to sleep for the past two days because he was working on a song, and I haven't been able to sleep for the past two days because I've been working on...well I don't remember what her name was."

I don´t know.. I din´t either liked Robin first when I heard some bootlegs from the 2001-2002 tour.

But the man have growned on me. I think he´s pretty good now, and that I.R.S solo kick ass, or some parts of it does.. Especially the first half of it and the end when he hold those tunes. He´s an emotional player and that makes him a great compliment to the band. We have BbF with technical skills but less emotion, which Robin has. And we have my favourite Richard that has both of those skills.

I would describe them:

Bumble:

Robin

Richard

Disagree there. I was right by Ron many times last night and holy fuck was his playing something special. He has a different style to the others which doesn't look as passionate, but man, it is. His solo is a thing of beauty.

I agree that Robin has lots of passion, but Fortus and Ron wipe the floor with him technically. Shove Fortus on lead for the big solos. He's the best all-rounder out of the 3.

I would describe them:

Bumble:

Robin

Richard

Disagree there. I was right by Ron many times last night and holy fuck was his playing something special. He has a different style to the others which doesn't look as passionate, but man, it is. His solo is a thing of beauty.

I agree that Robin has lots of passion, but Fortus and Ron wipe the floor with him technically. Shove Fortus on lead for the big solos. He's the best all-rounder out of the 3.

yea defo agree.. Ron puts alot of energy, enthusiasm and passion into his solos but it doesn't come across as much as Robin because of the difference in style. I think all 3 guitarists played really well last night but I have noticed they change the solos and improvise a lot which bugs me as I like doin me air guitar to the exact solo I'm used to hearing on record lol

It's a LIVE show, not studio. Whats the big deal if Robin has a style that was most likely developed during his NIN days. He can play guitar just fine, and he will continue playing guitar the way he wants.

:fuckyou:

Guadlaser 90% of your postsd have been complete shit that you pulled out of your ass to try to put the new band down.

Dunno how this turned into another lets bash Robin thread but here's my post. Personally I like Robin a lot and think he gets undue stick but I do have 2 things I would like him to do:

1. Stop the boring solos before songs. Last night was awful in terms of those.

2. Learn the 2nd solo of November Rain. I knew he's butcher it last night and although not as bad as some other gigs i've heard, he did!

Other than that though, he's still a good addition, and Better is so good it's off the scale. Also, have to say how great Ron is. Although his sounds not always great, his playing sure is. And Richard deserves all the praise that comes his way. Great sound, great solos, and great stage presence.

It's a LIVE show, not studio. Whats the big deal if Robin has a style that was most likely developed during his NIN days. He can play guitar just fine, and he will continue playing guitar the way he wants.

:fuckyou:

Guadlaser 90% of your postsd have been complete shit that you pulled out of your ass to try to put the new band down.

really? you are aware that the title of this thread is "best live version of IRS ever", right? my fears of finck playing a huge part of "chinese mediocrity" are well founded. did you forget axl's comments towards robin when he left? saying that now they can put more "complex material" onto the album in his absence?

if i just wanted a rock album i'd go buy a buckcherry album. but i want something special, an album that i wouldn't have to fast-forward (or cringe) through parts of songs, and robin is keeping that away from me, so fuck him.

edit- took out a rude comment that i didn't mean, sorry man! :)

Edited by quadlaser

I would describe them:

Bumble:

Robin

Richard

Yeah, maby your right.. In Ron´s amazing solo´s the "feeling" somehow drown, but it´s there! No doubt about that. And I´v changed my mind about what I said..

Ron

Technical skills: 9,5/10

Emotion: 6/10

Robin

Technical skills: 6/10 (The Blues solo is amazing, and is one of my fav solos of all time! In that solo he really

Emotion: 8/10 show his technical abilitys, so his feeling)

Richard

Technical skills: 8+/10 (He deserved more)

Emotion: 8+/10

Cool vid. Thanks.

Shit, there are so many ways to play lead that I guess it's what makes you happy...??

Ron shreds most of his leads like Richie Kotzen, Greg Howe, and Vai on ocassion. Robin is going after notes that tell a story like David Gilmour, Alex Lifeson or Michael Schenker. Guys like Van Halen or Macalpine use a mix of the two styles. In my opinion, neither way is better or worse, only different. Ron entertains with his mastering of the entire fingerboard while Robin entertains with making his guitar talk.

by the way, that hat Ron has on deserves a 10 out of 10 for sure :)

Edited by Dervaj

really? you are aware that the title of this thread is "best live version of IRS ever", right? my fears of finck playing a huge part of "chinese mediocrity" are well founded. did you forget axl's comments towards robin when he left? saying that now they can put more "complex material" onto the album in his absence?

if i just wanted a rock album i'd go buy a buckcherry album. but i want something special, an album that i wouldn't have to fast-forward (or cringe) through parts of songs, and robin is keeping that away from me, so fuck him.

Then Fuck Off! You don't like what Guns N' Roses are working on? Go... no one is keeping you here. Robin owes you nothing but you owe him respect because if he wasn't there it would be goodbye Guns N' Roses.

Since day one all he has done is work on 'Chinese Democracy' to make an album worthy of the name Guns N' Roses. You've heard him cover old material and do a kickass solo in a new song (I.R.S) and you slam him? :huh:

Whilst thinking only of what you are owed you fail to see that Robin loves to be part of this and he loves the fans more than anything. His crowd diving is an example of his passion for GN'R and his love of the audience. Robin has worked to try and win people like you over, apparently in some cases he is failing. We are a pro Nu-Guns N' Roses board and if you don't support them, you are not welcome.

You've heard do a kickass solo in a new song (I.R.S) and you slam him? :huh:

um, i haven't heard him do a kickass solo in a new song (IRS), i heard him do one that makes me shutter. pay attention :book:

and dervaj, please don't compare robin to gilmour. :no:

edit- i'm aware that some of the hostility directed at me for this thread is actually caused by many of you agreeing with me deep down. i mean, if i said slash sucked 10 years ago- you guys would be like "yeah, whatever" because you would know that it's untrue (i'm not a slash fanboy BTW just using him for my example). but that's not the case here.

my opinions would not upset a single person if i was way off the mark. and i certainly wouldn't get 5 pages of responses

Edited by quadlaser