i want to discuss this video

quadlaser

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even kurt cobain could teach finck a thing or 2 about guitar. (it works on 2 levels, get it?)

Apparently, Axl tried to get Slash to learn a few things from Kurt Cobain as well. But for some reason Slash thought "it was too much work" and quit. So, it's probably not as easy as you think ... LOL

As a side note though: It's easy in hindsight to say, "Oh, that song is so easy to play. He sucks." But yet, if it was so easy, how come you didn't think of it first and be the one to make millions of it? It's easy to replicate, but not so easy to innovate. Innovation and originality people are the mark of a great musician. Something which GnR has and VR doesn't.

Bumble:

Technical skills: 9/10

Emotion: 5/10

Robin

Technical skills: 4/10

Emotions: 7/10

Richard

Technical skills: 7/10

Emotion: 7/10

Don't forget the hardest trait to obtain: creativity/originality

Finck: 10/10

Richard: 9/10

Bumble: 8/10

more like

Richard: 7/10

Bumble: 4/10

Bumbles solo stuff isn't near as good as what Fincks brought to the table so far and Richards is in the middle. Robin may not play technically good but the simple stuff he makes is awesome.

more like

Bumbles solo stuff isn't near as good as what Fincks brought to the table so far and Richards is in the middle. Robin may not play technically good but the simple stuff he makes is awesome.

take about 4 minutes and listen to this, then feel free to post again: http://www.myspace.com/bumblefoot3000

it's a little song called turn around, solo starts at 2:50

more like

take about 4 minutes and listen to this, then feel free to post again: http://www.myspace.com/bumblefoot3000

Dude that was sweet!

Thanks for posting that link!

LOL

Robin and Richard are more original than Ron fucking Thal? They're not fit to lick his guitar god balls.

See if you knew what you were talking about it'd go like this:

Ron Thal

technical ability 9/10

writing ability 8/10

originality 8/10

Richard Fortus

technical ability 7/10

writing ability ?/10

originality 5/10

Robin Finck

technical ability 4/10

writing ability 7/10

originality 7/10

and for the sake of it...

Buckethead

technical ability 9/10

writing ability 8/10

originality 10/10

Slash

technical ability 7/10

writing ability 10/10

originality 8/10

...and don't start adding them up and saying well if that's true then so and so is better than so and so because it's more intricate than that... I'm just using the tarded ranking system you guys use for the sake of argument, replacing "emotion" with "writing ability" because it's a more tangible, quantifiable concept.

Edited by PurpleHaze

Ron

tech 9/10

emo 6/10

Robin

tech 8/10

emo 9.5/10

Richard

tech 8/10

emo 8/10

I fucking love this band rock3

Robin's at an 8/10 for techincal ability? If you post this shit in order to get a reaction, you're a genius, otherwise you're probably the biggest joke around here right now. Actually, I nominate it for post of the year.

I find it amusing that you people all seem to rate Ron highly on the 'emotional scale'. He seems like a pretty standard player obsessed with guitar virtuosism. Provided me with an original solo written by him the calibre of the solos from 'comfortably numb', 'november rain' or let's say 'sea of expanding shapes'

Ron

tech 9/10

emo 6/10

Robin

tech 8/10

emo 9.5/10

Richard

tech 8/10

emo 8/10

Robin's at an 8/10 for techincal ability? If you post this shit in order to get a reaction, you're a genius, otherwise you're probably the biggest joke around here right now. Actually, I nominate it for post of the year.

I find it amusing that you people all seem to rate Ron highly on the 'emotional scale'. He seems like a pretty standard player obsessed with guitar virtuosism. Provided me with an original solo written by him the calibre of the solos from 'comfortably numb', 'november rain' or let's say 'sea of expanding shapes'

Personally, I don't like using the word "emotion" when discussing guitar playing, it tends to be a shield for people to hide behind in debates. Also, those are some of the best solos ever written I don't think that's a fair comparison to make but if you listen to Ron's stuff you'd know he's a heck of a solo writer.

Ron

tech 9/10

emo 6/10

Robin

tech 8/10

emo 9.5/10

Richard

tech 8/10

emo 8/10

Personally, I don't like using the word "emotion" when discussing guitar playing, it tends to be a shield for people to hide behind in debates. Also, those are some of the best solos ever written I don't think that's a fair comparison to make but if you listen to Ron's stuff you'd know he's a heck of a solo writer.

Ok, I want to be provided with a solo written by Ron that brings out the same emotions in me that those solos I just listed do. People around here talk as though ROn is the best fucking guitar player around, that's cool, but I want some proof of him being a great mucisian.

Ron

tech 9/10

emo 6/10

Robin

tech 8/10

emo 9.5/10

Richard

tech 8/10

emo 8/10

Ok, I want to be provided with a solo written by Ron that brings out the same emotions in me that those solos I just listed do. People around here talk as though ROn is the best fucking guitar player around, that's cool, but I want some proof of him being a great mucisian.

Ok you basically just repeated yourself. If you want to listen to a good Ron solo look at the link posted above.

Please note that if you disagree with me on this issue, you disagree with Satch therefore you lose by default. Unlucky :P

Edited by PurpleHaze

more like

rock3 rock1 rock3

Translation: "I can't provide you with what you wanted." Look man, that solo was average. That's cool that Ron shows us he can sweep in every solo. Ron will always be a typical Yngwie wannabe in my mind.

No need for translation, I pointed out your request was ridiculous... you asked for a solo in the same calibur as Comfortably Numb, therefore implying that Ron is a sub par guitar player if i can't supply one, which is, at best, a ridiculous claim to make. In my opinion it's the gretest solo of all time and therefore has no equal and if you think Ron is "an Yngwie wannabe" than you need to go see the family doctor because you may have aural health problems, mental health problems or perhaps a combination of the 2. Bring me back a lollypop will you?

Edited by PurpleHaze

wow that's a nice song, Turn Around.. any link to download this? :book:

and btw, I still think the video from Download is better than this one, but this performance is great nonetheless!

Robin does an awesome job, it's a pitty everyone always keeps complaining about him, but it's also nice to see the ones that like him are faithful to him and defend him in every post. You can say whatever you want about Robin, but the guy has something special about him, makes people notice him and talk about him, for good or for bad, but seems like is always white or black with him, you either LOVE him or HATE him, he has that quality that is to stir strong feelings in people

Ron shows once more that he can very well play the fuck out of that guitar, but I'm not that keen of his playing to be honest, and I do feel he improvises way to much in some of the songs.. TWAT from Madrid for instance, his solo is almost unrecognizable with what Bucket plays on the demo.

Edited by angel of music

Translation: "I can't provide you with what you wanted." Look man, that solo was average. That's cool that Ron shows us he can sweep in every solo. Ron will always be a typical Yngwie wannabe in my mind.

No need for translation, I pointed out your request was ridiculous... you asked for a solo in the same calibur as Comfortably Numb, therefore implying that Ron is a sub par guitar player if i can't supply one, which is, at best, a ridiculous claim to make. In my opinion it's the gretest solo of all time and therefore has no equal and if you think Ron is "an Yngwie wannabe" than you need to go see the family doctor because you may have aural health problems, mental health problems or perhaps a combination of the 2. Bring me back a lollypop will you?

Why is that such a ridiculous request? Guns n roses has had two amazing lead guitarists, Ron should be of the same calibre.

Why is that such a ridiculous request? Guns n roses has had two amazing lead guitarists, Ron should be of the same calibre.

That's tantamount to saying a Ron solo as good as CM would make him as good as the other 2 big GnR lead players (Bucket/Slash). Thus implying they have both written solos as good as or better than CM. This is twisted logic, actually no, it's bad reading comprehension. Like I've said, nothing beats CM in my opinion. That's why your request is unreasonable to me at least.

Ron IS of the highest calibur, his ability, past work and massive praise from his contempories reflects this as I've pointed out.

Edited by PurpleHaze

That's tantamount to saying a Ron solo as good as CM would make him as good as the other 2 big GnR lead players (Bucket/Slash). Thus implying they have both written solos as good as or better than CM. This is twisted logic, actually no, it's bad reading comprehension. Like I've said, nothing beats CM in my opinion. That's why your request is unreasonable to me at least.

Ron IS of the highest calibur, his ability, past work and massive praise from his contempories reflects this as I've pointed out.

Without a doubt the first november rain solo and sea of expanding shapes, or even teh animal behaviour outro are right up there wth comfortably numb. No one who has heard these solos could dispute that.

Look man, I'm not disputing that Ron is technically gifted. I am saying however that my interest in gnr will be way down if all that Ron can do is obsess over guitar wizardry. I was very, very impressed with the TWAT outro solo buckethead did on the demo, I would love for ROn to bring something similar to the band.

Without a doubt the first november rain solo and sea of expanding shapes, or even teh animal behaviour outro are right up there wth comfortably numb. No one who has heard these solos could dispute that.

So nobody who has heard these solos can have an opinion other than the one stated? I know people who think the NR solo sucks. Everybody has their own view.

Look man, I'm not disputing that Ron is technically gifted.

Well of course not and I never said you were.

I am saying however that my interest in gnr will be way down if all that Ron can do is obsess over guitar wizardry.

Well no worries then, he is capable of much more than that or Joe Fucking Satriani wouldn't rave about him would he?

I was very, very impressed with the TWAT outro solo buckethead did on the demo, I would love for ROn to bring something similar to the band.

Well he will if we get to see his creative side on hopefully the next album. He's not gonna rip the GnR back catalogue a new arsehole with his solos after being in the band as a touring guitarist for a matter of a few months.

He needs to play with his live guitar tone a bit too. Sounds too digitised and processed with the modelling on his Line 6 amp.I never much liked those. He should use one of his Vigier sig guitars too or thr Bumblefoot instead of the shitty Les Paul Standard just to please the narrow mined "zomg he has a silly guitar the world is going to end" fags in the GnR community.

Edited by PurpleHaze

really? you are aware that the title of this thread is "best live version of IRS ever", right? my fears of finck playing a huge part of "chinese mediocrity" are well founded. did you forget axl's comments towards robin when he left? saying that now they can put more "complex material" onto the album in his absence?

if i just wanted a rock album i'd go buy a buckcherry album. but i want something special, an album that i wouldn't have to fast-forward (or cringe) through parts of songs, and robin is keeping that away from me, so fuck him.

Then Fuck Off! You don't like what Guns N' Roses are working on? Go... no one is keeping you here. Robin owes you nothing but you owe him respect because if he wasn't there it would be goodbye Guns N' Roses.

Since day one all he has done is work on 'Chinese Democracy' to make an album worthy of the name Guns N' Roses. You've heard him cover old material and do a kickass solo in a new song (I.R.S) and you slam him? :huh:

Whilst thinking only of what you are owed you fail to see that Robin loves to be part of this and he loves the fans more than anything. His crowd diving is an example of his passion for GN'R and his love of the audience. Robin has worked to try and win people like you over, apparently in some cases he is failing. We are a pro Nu-Guns N' Roses board and if you don't support them, you are not welcome.

Couldn't agree more bro. But guys like us can say this until we are fucking blue in the face, and yet people will still be here.

I will admit. I wasn't much a fan of Robins skills or looks in 2001-2002. But from what I've heard from boots, he has stepped up. I totally dig what the guy does now. Songs like Sweet Child, The Blues. There Was A Time, and Better show he CAN play. And for those of you who constantly say Axl should give Robin the boot, well... :no: When a guy writes Better, I think he is well worthy of his spot.