Eric's Quebec City review

eRomano

Here's my personnal quick review of the Quebec city concert:

Setlist available here.

RANTS: After Live & Let Die, Axl made a small rant "..This is Quebec City, not Montreal" at wich point the crowd simply booed him (Yes, you could tell there was lots of people from Montreal in the arena).

Axl didn't get mad or anything, he simply smiled and said "How to have a great thing going and fuck it up" at wich point he just left it there and went on to sing Knocking On Heaven's door.

During Knocking On Heavens Door, Axl noticed a fan on the floor waved a cardboard at Axl. Axl nodded a big "YES", the fan handed him the cardboard. Axl smiled and showed it to the camera and the band members. The cardboard read "Axl come back to Montreal". The crowd cheered very loudly at wich point you could hardly hear the song anymore!

The crowd was simply extatic during November Rain.

PROS:

The crowd had a unequaled energy to date in this tour.

People stood up the WHOLE concert INCLUDING the solos!

Crowd was extremely responsive, the crowd would continously sing along.

Left and right monitor focus was adjusted.

Axl's voice was VERY strong in the sound system.

Axl Rose was more present on stage than usual (less going backstage).

Alcohol was sold untill GNR went on stage (untill midnight), we sure know how to have fun!

Smoking cigarettes was tolerated EVERYWHERE in the arena! :) Was nice not to have to go have to go smoke in the washroom or go outside in the cold to smoke. Smoking weed was probably not officially tolerated, but for people who were doing it discretely and behaving, security would simply look the other way.

No more, no less "drunken fans" incidents than to the other concerts I attended.

People did not leave before the end of the concert even if it was late.

CONS:

Small WTTJ intro scream (not really a con, just that I guess I like a strong intro scream).

Concert started at about midnight, wich is late for some people

Part of the the crowd in general was clearly not signing the same version of Knocking on heaven's door as Axl. They were signing along the album version and not the slow version. It's kinda hard to explain in a post. Lets just say that what made it funny is that because of part of the crowd would start signing "yeah,,, yeah,,,, yeah, yeah, yeah" right before Axl gave the cue, and the other part of the crowd sang "Knock, knock, knock, on heaven's door" when Axl gave the cue. In the end it it made it sweet and special. I guess large of the crowd simply had never heard the slower version of KOHD.

CONCLUSION: This concert beat all GNR concerts I have been by FAR. Why? Because the energy was INCREDIBLE because the crowd was so energetic and responsive.

Tonight's concert was a HUGE success. I suspect the crown in Quebec City to have been the most responsive crowd on this tour to date.

Axl Rose actually came back on stage after the usual closing to thank us and to mention that he is looking forward to see us again!

Really hope this paves the way for GNR's return in Montreal in the near future.

Edited by admin

Great to hear Axl's voice was up in the mix compared to Ottawa and I knew Quebec would kick people's derriere and be one of the best shows of the tour....I imagine beer was on sale past 10h30....and fans here are just crazy and love their hard rock.... I couldn't go last night, had to go on Friday and reading your review, I wished I would have been there last night...

Il faut se rendre à l'évience, on sait faire le party au Québec !!!

I no longer live in QC so I obviously didnt attend the show, but a friend of mine did and said that Fortus was the best guitarist, which kinda sounds odd to me since I never really could *hear* him on the videos I have of the new gnr, so he can be heard now? And I trust this guy for judging guitarists so is Tahl just average like Finck or he had an off night?

I had a great time. I travel some 4hrs or so up from Vermont, found the arena, got my room, had a great dinner at a local restaurant ( mmmmmmm rack of ribs) then back to room to digest a bit, got to the Arena just after Die Manniquin started. They were ok, very young and full of energy.

Suicide Girls were HOT, from my seats on the right side of the stage down low I could see back stage and got to see at least one SG with no panties as she changed for the next act ... :rolleyes:rock3 Then came Bach, he was great and sure knows how to get a crowd whipped into a frenzy. To me I have NEVER seen a place so packed prior to GnR being on stage. The house was maybe 75% full during SG , I did notice several guys had to leave with their wives ( poor guys) but by time Bach played it was back up to 85% full and then it was PACKED when GnR started.

Axl was having a good time and cracking bad jokes ( Did ya hear what one female suicide bomber said to the other? Does this bomb make me look fat? and one about fucking sheep near the edge of a cliff cuz they push back harder when scared... did that joke after DOTF) and I was really impressed with the energy of the whole band. I saw em NYC in May on the 4th night and they were awesome but they were much tighter this time around. Bumblefoot has sure become one of the band and interacts great and seems to really get into the music he is playing. Fortus just plain ROCKS it and beats the guitar until it produces the sound he wants. Robin seems to just get that bad boy to wail by pure heart and soul. Amazing blend of talent.

I had a wonderful time and like Axl I wish to salute the fine folks of Quebec City for making my trip a blast! A whole bunch of you guys really made my day when it seems everyone LOVES my car, especially the hot ladies! ( I drive a black 85 Monte Carlo SS all done up to look like an actual stock car from the race track, complete with my own number 06 and outsidegroove.com on the quarters, tell me if you saw me on the road in QUebec City!)

I sure hope they play Montreal soon so I can catch em again.

I had a great time. I travel some 4hrs or so up from Vermont, found the arena, got my room, had a great dinner at a local restaurant ( mmmmmmm rack of ribs) then back to room to digest a bit, got to the Arena just after Die Manniquin started. They were ok, very young and full of energy.

Suicide Girls were HOT, from my seats on the right side of the stage down low I could see back stage and got to see at least one SG with no panties as she changed for the next act ... :rolleyes:rock3 Then came Bach, he was great and sure knows how to get a crowd whipped into a frenzy. To me I have NEVER seen a place so packed prior to GnR being on stage. The house was maybe 75% full during SG , I did notice several guys had to leave with their wives ( poor guys) but by time Bach played it was back up to 85% full and then it was PACKED when GnR started.

Axl was having a good time and cracking bad jokes ( Did ya hear what one female suicide bomber said to the other? Does this bomb make me look fat? and one about fucking sheep near the edge of a cliff cuz they push back harder when scared... did that joke after DOTF) and I was really impressed with the energy of the whole band. I saw em NYC in May on the 4th night and they were awesome but they were much tighter this time around. Bumblefoot has sure become one of the band and interacts great and seems to really get into the music he is playing. Fortus just plain ROCKS it and beats the guitar until it produces the sound he wants. Robin seems to just get that bad boy to wail by pure heart and soul. Amazing blend of talent.

I had a wonderful time and like Axl I wish to salute the fine folks of Quebec City for making my trip a blast! A whole bunch of you guys really made my day when it seems everyone LOVES my car, especially the hot ladies! ( I drive a black 85 Monte Carlo SS all done up to look like an actual stock car from the race track, complete with my own number 06 and outsidegroove.com on the quarters, tell me if you saw me on the road in QUebec City!)

I sure hope they play Montreal soon so I can catch em again.

hehe dude me and Eric where just next to you trying to get out of the parking lot :)